LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 108
Do Disposable Hand Warmers Work?

Have to admit that I always made fun of people who whined about cold hands. Until now that is. I guess because I am older and do more properties it really hit me hard last year. So now I am preparing for this year. I traditionally use regular gloves, and sometimes heavy mittens to snowblow. But now I do 26 properties and with all the vibration from my single stage (if I am using that machine), my hands are both vibrating and numb--not safe.

So I checked out heated gloves, including the Milwaukee ones which I figured would be more rugged. The good ones all seem very expensive for something I know will experience an electrical failure sooner rather than later. Plus, none of them seem to have staying power on "high" past 2 hours. I guess I could wire in a supplemental battery pack, but that's a little too Six Million Dollar Man, even for me.

So what I am settling on this year is Thinsulate gloves and oversize mittens that I can layer on top of the gloves. But someone also suggested those disposable hand warmers you activate and slip inside the layer between your gloves and your mittens. We can get -40 C here in Calgary, so every degree helps, especially after 6-8 hours of snow removal.

I will eventually look into aftermarket heated hand grips for my two stage HSS724 ACTD and maybe those universal wrap around snowmobile hand kits for my single stage HS520 and HS720 at some point. But thought I would try these disposable ones first. I was amazed how inexpensive they are and that some claim to last up to 10 hours.

Does anyone have any experience with these disposable warmers? Do they actually work?

(P.S. My apologies if I have made fun of any of you here in the past for having girlie hands )

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 258
Likes (Received): 138
I've used them for about 5 years now and they do work.

I use them for late fall fishing where the temps only get into the mid-30's and I've only used them in mittens once or twice.

When fishing I don't wear gloves and my hands get wet so I keep handwarmers (disposable) in my coat pockets
(one on each side) and warm my hands in my pockets, or maybe pull the hand warmers out and hold them in my hands.

Go left.....No, your other left!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks CalgaryPT thanked for this post
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 12:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 25
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryPT View Post
Have to admit that I always made fun of people who whined about cold hands. Until now that is. I guess because I am older and do more properties it really hit me hard last year. So now I am preparing for this year. I traditionally use regular gloves, and sometimes heavy mittens to snowblow. But now I do 26 properties and with all the vibration from my single stage (if I am using that machine), my hands are both vibrating and numb--not safe.

So I checked out heated gloves, including the Milwaukee ones which I figured would be more rugged. The good ones all seem very expensive for something I know will experience an electrical failure sooner rather than later. Plus, none of them seem to have staying power on "high" past 2 hours. I guess I could wire in a supplemental battery pack, but that's a little too Six Million Dollar Man, even for me.

So what I am settling on this year is Thinsulate gloves and oversize mittens that I can layer on top of the gloves. But someone also suggested those disposable hand warmers you activate and slip inside the layer between your gloves and your mittens. We can get -40 C here in Calgary, so every degree helps, especially after 6-8 hours of snow removal.

I will eventually look into aftermarket heated hand grips for my two stage HSS724 ACTD and maybe those universal wrap around snowmobile hand kits for my single stage HS520 and HS720 at some point. But thought I would try these disposable ones first. I was amazed how inexpensive they are and that some claim to last up to 10 hours.

Does anyone have any experience with these disposable warmers? Do they actually work?

(P.S. My apologies if I have made fun of any of you here in the past for having girlie hands )
I use the heated hand warmers when we snow board on cold days. It is the only way I can keep my hands warm. You can retro your snow blower with hand warmers easily if you have 12v batttery. I put in my post on the Drift Breaker where to buy hand warmers cheap and how to put them in. PM me for any more info. Heated grips are around 15.00 delivered if not cheaper. My hands get cold real fast.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 05:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Your Darn Tooting they do. I use them all them when it gets BLOODY FREAKING Cold here in Paradise City/Frozen Tundra.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Your Darn Tooting they do. I use them all them when it gets BLOODY FREAKING Cold here in Paradise City/Frozen Tundra.
My policy is to never argue with someone whose city's name is cooler than mine.

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page