Chainsaws - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northwest Michigan/Sleeping Bear Dunes
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1035
Likes (Received): 176
Lightbulb Chainsaws

I bought a new Husqvarna XP saw a couple of years ago and with their XP oil, it doesn't smoke any more (like the older saws). Sometimes I wonder if I'm running straight gas.

Any other manufacturers doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I always liked 2 strokes for weight savings, but dislike the smoke smell in the clothes afterward. Ive rid myself of 2 stroke snowblowers, and even drive a 4 stroke snowmobile.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
jrom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 398
Likes (Received): 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
I bought a new Husqvarna XP saw a couple of years ago and with their XP oil, it doesn't smoke any more (like the older saws). Sometimes I wonder if I'm running straight gas.

Any other manufacturers doing this?
Finally, a chainsaw thread. Stilh saws and Stihl saw oil has been at a 50:1 mix for a number of years now. The 50:1 mix reduced oil mix reduces smoke considerably. From Stihl: "Mixing too much oil in the gasoline can cause its own set of problems. It can cause a buildup of carbon on the piston and rings that can build up, break off and score a piston or it could cause the rings
to stick which can lead to a loss of compression."

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Zavie is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #3 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central CT
Posts: 207
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Finally, a chainsaw thread. Stilh saws and Stihl saw oil has been at a 50:1 mix for a number of years now. The 50:1 mix reduced oil mix reduces smoke considerably. From Stihl: "Mixing too much oil in the gasoline can cause its own set of problems. It can cause a buildup of carbon on the piston and rings that can build up, break off and score a piston or it could cause the rings
to stick which can lead to a loss of compression."
Chainsaws I have a few. In every 2 stroke, i run Stihl synthetic 50:1. I have stihl trimmers, blowers, etc, but only Husqvarna saws, including the newest, a 545, and a modified 562XP with a dual port muffler, ported and polished, and a bit higher compresion than stock. It eats 70cc saws.


Back to 2 strokes, you might not see smoke, but there is odor. Ran a gallon of 2stroke through my Stihl 600 Manum blower since yesterday, and my clothing has a bit of the smell. And yes, its in tune.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
Mountain Man is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie, jrom liked this post
post #4 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 398
Likes (Received): 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Chainsaws I have a few. In every 2 stroke, i run Stihl synthetic 50:1. I have stihl trimmers, blowers, etc, but only Husqvarna saws, including the newest, a 545, and a modified 562XP with a dual port muffler, ported and polished, and a bit higher compresion than stock. It eats 70cc saws.


Back to 2 strokes, you might not see smoke, but there is odor. Ran a gallon of 2stroke through my Stihl 600 Manum blower since yesterday, and my clothing has a bit of the smell. And yes, its in tune.

Bet that 545 is sweet. I've got the 445 Husqvarna which I love and several Stihl's including the STIHL MS 193 C-E which is sooo lite.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Zavie is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #5 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northwest Michigan/Sleeping Bear Dunes
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1035
Likes (Received): 176
It is interesting isn't it?

My dealer sells both Stihl and Husqvarna saws and they say you can't go wrong with either of their mix oils. I may be weird, but I stay brand specific, so I keep both Husky and Stihl oil on hand.

Husqvarna has been using 50:1 for quite a while and the early mix oil (including the box-store level stuff) is a synthetic blend and it does still smoke. I've noticed their full synthetic XP and Stihl HP Ultra full synth does not smoke, or very little smoke, usually at start-up only. Nice stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Finally, a chainsaw thread. Stilh saws and Stihl saw oil has been at a 50:1 mix for a number of years now. The 50:1 mix reduced oil mix reduces smoke considerably. From Stihl: "Mixing too much oil in the gasoline can cause its own set of problems. It can cause a buildup of carbon on the piston and rings that can build up, break off and score a piston or it could cause the rings
to stick which can lead to a loss of compression."

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
jrom is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #6 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northwest Michigan/Sleeping Bear Dunes
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1035
Likes (Received): 176
I didn't see your post before I sent mine.

I've got a stock 562XP and I love it. Did you mod it yourself or did you take it somewhere, or send it out? I've been wondering if it would be worth it.

I've run 372XP's (and 357s) and I love them, but the 562 is a sweet spot for me. I would love to have just a little more power though.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Chainsaws I have a few. In every 2 stroke, i run Stihl synthetic 50:1. I have stihl trimmers, blowers, etc, but only Husqvarna saws, including the newest, a 545, and a modified 562XP with a dual port muffler, ported and polished, and a bit higher compresion than stock. It eats 70cc saws.


Back to 2 strokes, you might not see smoke, but there is odor. Ran a gallon of 2stroke through my Stihl 600 Manum blower since yesterday, and my clothing has a bit of the smell. And yes, its in tune.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
jrom is online now  
post #7 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Snowbelt_subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland ohio
Posts: 598
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Bet that 545 is sweet. I've got the 445 Husqvarna which I love and several Stihl's including the STIHL MS 193 C-E which is sooo lite.
i have an 028 and 036 both muffler modded. i love chainsaws as well. As far as oil goes my friends that do tree work all use amsoil saber they swear by it for equipment longevity and it doesn't smoke they run it at 80:1 in all their commercial equipment.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Snowbelt_subie is online now  
post #8 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central CT
Posts: 207
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Bet that 545 is sweet. I've got the 445 Husqvarna which I love and several Stihl's including the STIHL MS 193 C-E which is sooo lite.
It is. Im a big fan of the electronic Auto tune. Ive run my saws in 90 degree heat in Ct, and up in Vermont at 2000+ foot elevation in 20 degree weather, and spot on in tune. Thats tough on a two stroke. Too rich and they run like crap. Too lean, and Kabbom.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
Mountain Man is online now  
post #9 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central CT
Posts: 207
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
I didn't see your post before I sent mine.

I've got a stock 562XP and I love it. Did you mod it yourself or did you take it somewhere, or send it out? I've been wondering if it would be worth it.

I've run 372XP's (and 357s) and I love them, but the 562 is a sweet spot for me. I would love to have just a little more power though.
I replaced (but still have) a 257. I sent the 562 to a Tennessee custom builder. He did a woods porting to it, and opened it to to breath much better than stock. He could go to a race mod, but i didnt go that far. In hind site, maybe i should have, since i dont use it much. But its all day work relaible, unlike a race tune. Thus is where auto tune shines, it adjusts to all the work done to the engine so it wont blow up from being too lean.

Id say it wold run with your 372xp. But each saw can be a bit different. Out of the box, some can be a bit doggish, and others are special.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
Mountain Man is online now  
post #10 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northwest Michigan/Sleeping Bear Dunes
Posts: 1,068
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1035
Likes (Received): 176
Did you use Terry Landrum's Wicked Work Saw?

Mind if I ask how much the woods porting ran you?

I don't own any 372s, just ran friends, or employers. I own a '91 model 51 and a 2016 562 as well as an old Stihl 09 and 032AV, but they are truly tired out old saws.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I replaced (but still have) a 257. I sent the 562 to a Tennessee custom builder. He did a woods porting to it, and opened it to to breath much better than stock. He could go to a race mod, but i didnt go that far. In hind site, maybe i should have, since i dont use it much. But its all day work relaible, unlike a race tune. Thus is where auto tune shines, it adjusts to all the work done to the engine so it wont blow up from being too lean.

Id say it wold run with your 372xp. But each saw can be a bit different. Out of the box, some can be a bit doggish, and others are special.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
jrom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome