LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
repurposed snowblower

Sorry i could not get a picture, but I saw a gentleman (age probably 75) at a nearby lake heading out ice fishing and what he was using to go on the ice with was what I believed to be a older craftsman tracked snowblower less front bucket, drives etc. A hitch coupled a jet sled perfectly behind the handle bars that had an operator seat and storage. I inquired as to how well it worked and he said that it was not a snodog but did what he wanted. I didnt know what a snodog was except for the fury kind and he kind of explained that what he was talking about is a motorized Track and this is where he got his idea from. I had to google snodog when I got home (COOL)but very $$$!! Anyway this guy put a lot of thought into his ice machine which includes a 2 belt ; different ratio drive using 2 different levers that when 1 is engaged the other is free and vise versa all running off the factory shaft, and with the factory speed selector had a total of I believe 6 forward speeds in either the factory sheaves or the higher speed sheaves for a total of 12 speeds. The motor was a 254cc off a Ariens that had been junked that he got for free. He said that a trip to the local polaris shop netted him a box full of Ice studs that had been changed out on a snowmobile track because they were not sharp enough, again free. I asked how well it pulled him and he said that he has had 4 jet sleds coupled to it and still pulled everyone, we are talking 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile outon the lake. Plus he put Led lights on for safety and night operating. It was painted all camo and looked good. His total he said less any labor was around $85.00. He walked beside it while taking it to the ice got in his seat smiled and left pulling his portable shanty in tow at probably 10-15mph. I absolutely LOVED IT !!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-10-2019, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
That reminds me of the story of the "Ski Doo" brand of the Bombardier snowmobile. They had intended it to be "Ski Dog" but someone got it wrong when the promotional material was printed and they decided to keep the new name.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page