LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 24
Tak Weld Ariens ST270

Well guys I'mma gonna do wheels and hex (flange) bushings on the blower here tomorrow. Can't wait to get those hard rubber pizza cutter slicks off that machine, actually. There's no bushings on the axel now, so the holes on both sides are distorted and need some TLC.

I expect to seal the fuel cap, pull the spark plug wire, and for laughs, pull the two leads off the on/off keyswitch up on the console. I'll be using a Lincoln Electric 120 with flux core wire. Any concerns?
I'm not taking the motor and fuel tank off. I never do when I weld my Saturn's frame before inspection every year. I have thick rubber sheet to cover what I need to. And for the welding service the unit won't be in the maint position, it will be on the floor on chocks. The wheels will be off and I'll slide the hex ferrules in and hopefully there's enough surface left to determine position and then tack them in. It's the most practical way out of this mess.

Any of you guys do this before? you and the blower both survive?

ARIENS ST270

Last edited by Bondo 287; 02-01-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
I've only welded on the bucket half of the machine. Some was when the bucket was removed, though once was with it all together. I think the ground cable being near where you're welding should avoid any weird electrical activity elsewhere in the machine. Good luck!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I've only welded on the bucket half of the machine. Some was when the bucket was removed, though once was with it all together. I think the ground cable being near where you're welding should avoid any weird electrical activity elsewhere in the machine. Good luck!
Thanks, Red. Zero hour is approaching and I was getting a little anxious. Since I got the engine and carb stabilized "on the cheap" ... here's "round 2" with the $100 in parts for the drive wheels issue. With the ST270 , I have to be careful not to get "under water" with my refresh here.

ARIENS ST270
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
Just remembered that I'd also done some welding on the engine itself. A fastener broke off flush, I was trying to weld a nut onto it, to remove it. Even with welding right on the actual engine, there were no problems.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well .. The job's done and I didn't even have to weld. Amazing because with that the old "missing bushing" setup the wheels could travel up and down a full inch. But at teardown, the metal distortion was minimal. Kudos to Ariens! Nice quality steel ! At least back in '82 ! The shaft wasn't scored down either. The new bushings went in securely. On the torque side (left) it was a little bad. But I opted first just to try banging the bushing in with a deep socket around the collar and it was in like Flynn.

I ran the thing on the front lawn because that's where the "test snow" still was. This little 270 ran around the lawn like a 4 wheeler ! I certainly picked up some torque now with pneumatic tires. And without the wheels and axle bouncing around. I took some pictures so I can do a write up later.

Thanks for the input about welding. Definitely appreciate that info. I'm sure I'll be putting arc to it somewhere in the future.

ARIENS ST270

Last edited by Bondo 287; 02-02-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page