LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 199
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 542
Likes (Received): 106
Coleman Generator 5000 help

Well the snow blowers are all put away and the lawn mower is now cleaned and tuned up for grass cutting.
I was given a Coleman Powermate generator bought in 2006 with a 10 hp Tecumseh engine which starts right up. Unfortunately it does not generate electricity at the outlets. I did some testing on Stator wiring and continuity is good at all the connections and windings. I did notice that a wire had broken off the rotor which I have soldered back on. It still doesn't work after the initial testing. I checked the AVR board (see photos) and noticed a problem there. Not sure of the components on the small board but I guessing a capacitator is bad. In the picture there are 3 round components (capacitators?) in a row. The middle one looks bad. Could this be the problem and could I order that component and re-cap it?
As always everyone, thanks for reading this and feel free to comment.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avr board1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	155577   Click image for larger version

Name:	avr board2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	155579  

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldfam4 View Post
In the picture there are 3 round components (capacitators?) in a row. The middle one looks bad. Could this be the problem and could I order that component and re-cap it?
As always everyone, thanks for reading this and feel free to comment.
Tim
They look like capacitors to me. There should be markings on them, for voltage, and capacitance. If you can read the blown one, great. If not, I'd check the others, and hopefully the blown one is the same.

Then yes, you can buy replacements of the same specs (a higher voltage rating is OK), and replace the blown one. Some capacitors have a + and - leg, you'd need to check these, and install them correctly, if so.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks aldfam4 thanked for this post
post #3 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
They look like capacitors to me. There should be markings on them, for voltage, and capacitance. If you can read the blown one, great. If not, I'd check the others, and hopefully the blown one is the same.

Then yes, you can buy replacements of the same specs (a higher voltage rating is OK), and replace the blown one. Some capacitors have a + and - leg, you'd need to check these, and install them correctly, if so.
Thanks Red for responding, I have to get the magnifying glass out for this job. Do those capacitors effect the electricity going to the outlets on the generator?
Tim

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #4 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 354
Likes (Received): 621
I'm not an electrical engineer. But I'm sure they're there for a reason. And if one has failed completely, that must be Not Good I'd certainly attempt to fix this before spending a lot of time looking for other causes.

I'd probably buy enough capacitors to replace all 3, though they'll probably come as a pack of 10 or something anyhow. Maybe start with replacing just the one. If it still doesn't work, you could try replacing the others as well, in case they've also failed.

These might be ceramic capacitors. The electrolyte ones often look like little cans. You can closely inspect that type for swelling, or leaking liquid, either of which would indicate a failure.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I'm not an electrical engineer. But I'm sure they're there for a reason. And if one has failed completely, that must be Not Good I'd certainly attempt to fix this before spending a lot of time looking for other causes.

I'd probably buy enough capacitors to replace all 3, though they'll probably come as a pack of 10 or something anyhow. Maybe start with replacing just the one. If it still doesn't work, you could try replacing the others as well, in case they've also failed.

These might be ceramic capacitors. The electrolyte ones often look like little cans. You can closely inspect that type for swelling, or leaking liquid, either of which would indicate a failure.
Thanks again, Red. I will get on this and report back. At worst, the engine is a 10 HP Tecumseh with a tapered shaft. I believe they make tapered sleeves for them to possibly backup my Ariens 10 HP Tecumseh.
Tim

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #6 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
I'll dissent and note that the way the part failed is more typical of an MOV or thermistor. In this contect, and MOV to eat voltage spikes makes sense, and the color snd shape is also consistent. Assuming all 3 are the same part, check the part numbers on the survivors and verify . . .

Drawing the schematic of thatvrateher simple board would help as well, if you can't find it published. And posting the model number would help . . .
post #7 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
I'll dissent and note that the way the part failed is more typical of an MOV or thermistor. In this contect, and MOV to eat voltage spikes makes sense, and the color snd shape is also consistent. Assuming all 3 are the same part, check the part numbers on the survivors and verify . . .

Drawing the schematic of thatvrateher simple board would help as well, if you can't find it published. And posting the model number would help . . .
tadawson the model# of the unit is:PC0525305, AVR board is numbered 0062975.

I got the magnifying glass out and got this information off the MOV, thermistor or capacitator:
C N R
1 0D431K
next line: a backward R with U attached to it, next to that a trapezoid symbol
with UDE in it. A colon - : D1

Sorry for the poor description, just don't know the technical terms.
Maybe this helps
Thanks for responding tadawson.
Tim

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #8 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 242
Complete worst case is you could buy a generator head to replace it, Harbor freight even sells them but a quality one would still be cheaper than a new generator.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 05:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 165
275 Volt (AC) MOV:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VjSUJf4TFr1oFm

The big question is what else may have failed on the board. An MOV is basically an open circuit below it's clamping voltage, so removing one (or b,lwing one apart) typically results in a lack of protection, not a circuit failure . . . Something hit that part hot and ugly . . .

I'll see what else I can dig up later. I bet this card voltage regulated the unit by managing the field voltage . . .
post #10 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
275 Volt (AC) MOV:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VjSUJf4TFr1oFm

The big question is what else may have failed on the board. An MOV is basically an open circuit below it's clamping voltage, so removing one (or b,lwing one apart) typically results in a lack of protection, not a circuit failure . . . Something hit that part hot and ugly . . .

I'll see what else I can dig up later. I bet this card voltage regulated the unit by managing the field voltage . . .
tadawson, thank you for the detailed information. At least I know what the part is. Previous owner was using the 220 outlet, not the 110 outlets and running it back to a 220 outlet that was wired to his circuit breaker, which I believe is a no no.

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in