Snowblower Maintenance Saved My Air Conditioner - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 82
Likes (Received): 118
Snowblower Maintenance Saved My Air Conditioner

Out by my devoted snowblower shed today looking at my Honda HSS724ACTD and HS720CC. Was debating whether to sell the two stage 724 this spring, but now glad I didn't.

While looking at my ladies, I heard my Lennox Air Conditioner next to the shed making an odd sound. Went inside: blower in furnace OK. Evaporator coil not frozen, only warm air from register though. When I cycled unit on and off I noticed condenser fan wasn't spinning, but would spin if kick-started.

Went to local parts dealer and picked up new start/run capacitor for $54. Runs like a dream now.

Years ago my neighbour had a similar problem but didn't address it soon enough. The thermal overload eventually failed in the compressor and it cost him almost $2000 for repairs.

I'm sure in the next day or two I would have noticed the house temp not falling and investigated. But catching it so soon may have helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	156709  

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul, Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 701
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1188
Likes (Received): 1189
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryPT View Post
Out by my devoted snowblower shed today looking at my Honda HSS724ACTD and HS720CC. Was debating whether to sell the two stage 724 this spring, but now glad I didn't.

While looking at my ladies, I heard my Lennox Air Conditioner next to the shed making an odd sound. Went inside: blower in furnace OK. Evaporator coil not frozen, only warm air from register though. When I cycled unit on and off I noticed condenser fan wasn't spinning, but would spin if kick-started.

Went to local parts dealer and picked up new start/run capacitor for $54. Runs like a dream now.

Years ago my neighbour had a similar problem but didn't address it soon enough. The thermal overload eventually failed in the compressor and it cost him almost $2000 for repairs.

I'm sure in the next day or two I would have noticed the house temp not falling and investigated. But catching it so soon may have helped.
Nothing like a Honda

congrats

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #3 of 3 Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 3
a/c

Good move Cal. I'm glad you caught it when you did.

I would like to add, for anyone unfamiliar with capacitors, that their purpose is to momentarily hold, and then release an electrical charge. It won't kill you, but you'll feel it. You can save a few swear words by shorting out either or both of the top connections with an insulated tool or wire. I have to add that I've never had one still holding a charge when I shorted it for removal. It's just a good practice.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes allaboutfun liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page