LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 18
TPMS reset tools

Does anyone have any experience with the programming/reset tools for tire pressure monitoring systems.

I was looking at this one on Amazon

The new car has TPMS sensors on the tires and I would like to keep doing the change overs from winter to summer myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 568
Bought the same one for our GMs and works fine twice a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Honda1132 thanked for this post
Likes Honda1132 liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 04:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 174
Garage
I've recently purchased and have used an autel TS408 unit. Have done several reprogramming of sensors and they went well. On the GM vehicles I've done the vehicle itself helps you by lighting up the marker light at the wheel position to be programmed, then horn beeps to tell you it's done and proceed to next wheel. Driver front then passenger front then passenger rear and finally driver rear, after which the horn beeps twice to tell you that it's completed. It was $125 American, and does just about every vehicle make & model.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #4 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 218
That tool works fine with a Chevy equinox and terrain.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
My Lincoln Continental has TPMS on summer and winter wheels. I have the sensor reset tool but it is not needed. The TPMS resets automatically after driving a kilometer or two after a seasonal tire change. My son's 2016 Dodge Caravan also has sensors on summer and winter wheels, and his automatically resets too. I don't know about GM.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 9
I use an ATEQ TPM Quickset when I swap the summer/winter wheels on our vehicles (Subaru). Programmed with TPMS sensor codes on the pc and then it plugs into the OBDII port to update the car with new codes. It works for pretty much any make/model of vehicle as far as I am aware.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 174
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
My Lincoln Continental has TPMS on summer and winter wheels. I have the sensor reset tool but it is not needed. The TPMS resets automatically after driving a kilometer or two after a seasonal tire change. My son's 2016 Dodge Caravan also has sensors on summer and winter wheels, and his automatically resets too. I don't know about GM.

Just curious if you ever let air out of one of your automatically reset / acknowledged sensors to see that the vehicle responded with correct tire position from the tire you depressurized, or if those systems on your vehicles just warn of a low tire. I'm learning about these systems and some are position specific and others are just a low tire warning and you must check each one to find the low tire. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #8 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw351 View Post
Just curious if you ever let air out of one of your automatically reset / acknowledged sensors to see that the vehicle responded with correct tire position from the tire you depressurized, or if those systems on your vehicles just warn of a low tire. I'm learning about these systems and some are position specific and others are just a low tire warning and you must check each one to find the low tire. Thanks for any information you can provide.
My car displays the pressure for each tire in a 4 position display. Before I trusted that the system worked correctly on seasonal changes I set each tire to a different pressure with a couple of pounds difference. The system picked up the new tire pressures on each seasonal replaced tire exactly. If after the TPMS has stored the tire sensor information and you depressurise one tire and command the TPMS display on then the display shows all the tire pressures and you will see the low one since the system is very accurate to the nearest PSI (other pressure units can be set). One of the biggest assets is that you can see the tire pressures fall as the colder weather sets in so easy to add air (or lose air in spring) for the next day.

My son with the Dodge Caravan does not display the tire pressures. My neighbor owns a few Speedy Muffler shops and confirmed that Dodge works similarly to Lincoln so you don't need a tool to reset the TPMS to the new tires. I will ask my other son with a 2012 F150 twin turbo how his system works.

My neighbor with the Speedy muffler shops has a newer Chevrolet Silverado truck, that has everything on it. He confirms that you need a tool to reset the TPMS if you change tire positions or replace seasonal tires (on rims with sensors).

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Honda1132, Shaw351 thanked for this post
Likes Honda1132, Shaw351 liked this post
post #9 of 23 Old 10-15-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 18
Thanks for all of the replies and advice folks. I'll give the one from Amazon a try to reset the ones on the Equinox.

Have to go out and buy a new set of winters for the Santa Fe but that doesn't have TPMS so it's a straight changeover once I get the new tires on the winter rims.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Hi @Shaw351

My son with the 2012 F150 Twin Turbo says there is no tire pressure display, but the system automatically accommodates seasonal tire changes. If a tire loses enough air to set the TPMS alarm on there is no indication of which tire is low. You have to test all the tires with a gauge. He has only had one tire lose that much air but checks all 4 to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page