Any Electrical Guru's around Here?????? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Question Any Electrical Guru's around Here??????

My Question I have is why does the circuit blow when I start the ROL-AIR. The Garage is wired for 20AMP Service at 120 volts. Some times when I start it the circuit does not blow. but then there are times when the compressor starts up again Then it blows. I know this is poorly written and I am half past Dead while writing this. The compressor is running 120 volts also. So once again I am at The MERCY of the masses at hand here 4 help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7611.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	157821  

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 57
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 213
Likes (Received): 130
Garage
Is that a dedicated circuit? There may be something else on that circuit that is drawing power. I'm thinking about a refrigerator with a compressor that is cycling on and off. Try plugging the compressor into a dedicated 20 amp circuit if you have one. (And that's about as far as my knowledge goes.)

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
post #3 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
If the compressor has a compression release on startup, then It's likely not working, and causing it to start against a full pressure load, drawing excessive current. Barring that (or another possibility) is that if the motor has a capacitor (looks like it does- that's the hump atop the motor) it's getting weak. Lastly could be a failing breaker that is now tripping too easily . . . or other stuff is on that circuit that you don't know about.

Oh, and is this on an extension core, or right into the outlet? Too small a cord can cause this as well, since the voltage drop prevents the motor from coming up to speed quickly.

What's the rating for current draw marked on the motor? And has this ever worked?
post #4 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
I'm in on maybe a bad breaker switch, they do go bad. Only a few bucks to swap in a new one and see.

Agreed be a good time to see where that's getting its juice and swap that line over to a dedicated breaker if possible.

post #5 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 93
Usually there are 2 capacitors, one for startup and one for run, they work on a set of points internally in the motor, and operate under centrifugal force, etc., etc...

One of my compressors was tripping the circuit, ... I pulled it apart, cleaned the contact points, reassembled and everything went back to normal.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, just bring the motor to a small electric motor shop, most cities/towns have them. They will probably want to replace the points, but should be not to expensive.

UPDATE: Just looking at that unit, it was either extremely well maintained , or it is very new, in which case those points I mentioned should be fine, unless run on improper voltage. Best an electrician explain the electrical operational requirements for the smooth operation of a compressor.

Last edited by oneacer; 10-18-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #6 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 534
Lots of great ideas here. I would start by looking if your load breaker matches or exceeds the load of the breaker. Your load has to be than 80% of the breaker assigned to this outlet. Is that just a battery charger on the other outlet or a heater? What current or wattage is the motor rated at?

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
post #7 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
I wonder if you have an alternate unused and dedicated 20 amp circuit (maybe laundry) you can plug the compressor into as test comparison?

Not sure if the tripping is over-current protection or ground-fault protection...
post #8 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 10:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
You should be able to get a multimeter that will record the actual start up current draw of your compressor. About 10yrs ago I got one at Walmart for $25. It's digital and works every bit as well as a $125 brand name unit that it was replacing.

Everything operated fairly well until I started working on it
post #9 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 57
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 213
Likes (Received): 130
Garage
Here's a meter that I have to look at appliance draw:

But you will need something a bit better. This one only does 15 Amps x 120 Volts = 1800 Watts

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 10-18-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #10 of 31 Unread 10-18-2019, 11:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 42
As it only frequently happens, I agree with Miles. As you have only one circuit supplying the entire garage, it could be lights or a refer, or some other load that's already loading the circuit. When a motor starts, it draws several times it's free running load. If you were using a fuse, it would need to be motor rated. Usually a circuit breaker can absorb the starting load due to its inherent inverse time loading characteristics. This inverse time tripping can be affected by the GFCI function of the breaker however. (As this is on a garage circuit, it's required to be on a GFCI protected circuit, NEC. 210.8 B (8)).
Just guessing as you did not state the FLA on the compressor, but I would assume this compressor requires it's own circuit. (FWIW, mine is, and my garage is on a single 20 amp, GFCI supplied circuit, and never blows. That's with lights & refer running. Take inventory and determine everything connected to your garage. Lighs, refer, overhead door opener, tool chargers, etc.

From a technical point, you size the branch circuit conductord (the NM cable from the panelboard to the receptacle) at 125% of the motor load (430.22A). You size the circuit breaker (the overcurrent protection) by whatever is stated on the compressor's motor listing.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Miles liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in