post #1 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 46
Garage
Intelligence ? Cup full or empty?

While driving my daughter home from university we were talking about learning and I said I think some students have a harder time in college because of different educations in high school. She disagrees as She relates intelligence as cup full or empty. We all start out with more or less in our cup. And than we choose to add or take away from the cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 07:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
Intelligence is the horsepower you are born with...education is what you learn in school or life. Many people think they get smarter with education, but they still have the same horsepower, just know more, hopefully.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 23
Intelligence is actually both. You developed MOST of it when you was a child. You continue to develop it as you grow older. That is why they say: "the older you get, the wiser you become". Yes, you have limited intelligence/horsepower (depend on your background, ...), but you can fine tune it (just like in an engine) to increase that horsepower. Education/knowledge is the tool for that. They help you link stuffs together and come up with new ideas. And trust me, a person with more knowledge will out perform a person with high intelligence, but little knowledge, now a day. Other factors come into play like work ethic, motivation, ...
Sadly, college is like paying your ticket for something that is not promising. It takes longer to finish and hella expensive. They want your money bad. All students came out with depth. College depth is the second biggest, if not the biggest in the USA (trillions of dollar). I'm a college student.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 131
Likes (Received): 221
Garage
Intelligence, education, knowledge. All related in some fashion.

Typically, those with strong intelligence seek more education.

I think there are genetics involved that set your starting point, and then you take it from there.

Interesting topic though. I wonder how it all relates to the ability to use and maintain a snowblower. 🙂

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes uberT, 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 540
Intelligence in a cup? some have more and some less? Are you measuring with book smart knowledge or common sense real world knowledge.

We are all born with a brain.

I am a believer that the initial forming of that brain, barring physical challenges, are brought about in the first few years of life, and dependent on those around that person.

My understanding of "intelligence" is not how much schooling one person has, or how much facts or reading can be absorbed and memorized by that person, but how a person takes what they have learned and apply that to real life. Put it simply, I have seen college grads that can rattle off stuff that is amazing, that the "average" person might be clueless to. But in real world living, stuff that should be common sense to many, they are clueless, and dumb as a rock.

I have also seen high school grads that are smart as a whip. There life skills are way over the top of most people, being able to achieve things that a college grad would only dream of.

Many people have there own idea of what "intelligence" is. Some think it is how much knowledge a person has as in what they know in there brain or can memorize. Some think it is how a person acts it real life, and how they apply what they know. And certainly most of us all strive for maintaining the most information we can, and applying that information in a way that improves and makes life better.

I for one believe that in life, it is not how much you know, but how you take what you know, and how you apply it in life, that makes an individual "smart" or "dumb".

I am also a believer that some people are born with inherent traits, genes, DNA, or whatever you want to call it.

I have seen people that never took a music lesson in there life, but yet can play a piano like Mozart. I have seen people that never took an Art lesson in there life, yet paint a painting like Rembrandt.

There was just a post in here where someone mentioned they know a surgeon that ended his career by sticking his hand in a snowblower. He himself has treated many for doing the same, yet proceeded to his own demise. Is that an "intelligent" move, I think not.

This discussion could go on to infinity with what everyones interpretation of "intelligent" is. Kinda like religion, politics and sports, we all have our understanding of what each is, as we have developed it along each of our life path, as we have been taught, and what we have seen and even what we have gone through and experienced, and made our own choice as what we choose it to be, or what we participate in.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 08:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
Intelligence, education, knowledge. All related in some fashion.

Typically, those with strong intelligence seek more education.

I think there are genetics involved that set your starting point, and then you take it from there.

Interesting topic though. I wonder how it all relates to the ability to use and maintain a snowblower. 🙂
Didn't I say that you can fine tune your snowblower engine, bro? "Horsepower" sounds familiar, too. Just kidding.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Intelligence in a cup? some have more and some less? Are you measuring with book smart knowledge or common sense real world knowledge.

We are all born with a brain.

I am a believer that the initial forming of that brain, barring physical challenges, are brought about in the first few years of life, and dependent on those around that person.

My understanding of "intelligence" is not how much schooling one person has, or how much facts or reading can be absorbed and memorized by that person, but how a person takes what they have learned and apply that to real life. Put it simply, I have seen college grads that can rattle off stuff that is amazing, that the "average" person might be clueless to. But in real world living, stuff that should be common sense to many, they are clueless, and dumb as a rock.

I have also seen high school grads that are smart as a whip. There life skills are way over the top of most people, being able to achieve things that a college grad would only dream of.

Many people have there own idea of what "intelligence" is. Some think it is how much knowledge a person has as in what they know in there brain or can memorize. Some think it is how a person acts it real life, and how they apply what they know. And certainly most of us all strive for maintaining the most information we can, and applying that information in a way that improves and makes life better.

I for one believe that in life, it is not how much you know, but how you take what you know, and how you apply it in life, that makes an individual "smart" or "dumb".

I am also a believer that some people are born with inherent traits, genes, DNA, or whatever you want to call it.

I have seen people that never took a music lesson in there life, but yet can play a piano like Mozart. I have seen people that never took an Art lesson in there life, yet paint a painting like Rembrandt.

There was just a post in here where someone mentioned they know a surgeon that ended his career by sticking his hand in a snowblower. He himself has treated many for doing the same, yet proceeded to his own demise. Is that an "intelligent" move, I think not.

This discussion could go on to infinity with what everyones interpretation of "intelligent" is. Kinda like religion, politics and sports, we all have our understanding of what each is, as we have developed it along each of our life path, as we have been taught, and what we have seen and even what we have gone through and experienced, and made our own choice as what we choose it to be, or what we participate in.
Yes, it is all how you applied your knowledge and make it useful. That is real intelligence right there. I wasn't quite right about this in my previous post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page