Can Anyone Help With a Leaf Blower - Carb Problem? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Can Anyone Help With a Leaf Blower - Carb Problem?

I've got an older leaf blower that's always ran really well. I got it from my dad a couple years back, never had a problem. Maybe it was a little difficult to start sometimes, but it ran like a top. Craftsman Model number 358.797310. It has a Walbro 945 WA 229 carb on it.

End of last season, it wouldn't start. I looked in the gas tank and the fuel filter/float had broken off the fuel line. No big deal, I thought. And I put it away and figured I would look at it some time over the winter. Well, I'm stumped. I still can't get it to start. Occasionally, it'll start for about 5 second and then it'll start to sputter down and die. One time while running for a couple seconds, I saw fuel leaking, so I took the carb off and replaced the carb to engine gasket. No more leaking fuel, great! But it still won't start.

I replaced both the supply and return line to the tank.
Replaced the fuel filter.
Carb Gasket to engine.
Generally cleaned and gotten rid of years of accumulated gunk.

It seems like it's not getting fuel. I've primed the carb with the cover off and I can see the air bubbles in the fuel lines, and I prime until they are gone and the line is full of fuel.

Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I must just be missing something pretty straight forward, but I'll be a monkeys uncle, I can't see it!

I joined this linked power equipment forum today, to ask this, because I'm stumped, but it doesn't look like my post has been approved yet. I figured I'd try here, there's some really smart people, and a lot of small engines are similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 135
New carb.. they aren't exspensive.
The diaphragms dry up and or tear.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 719
Likes (Received): 250
best to replace the carb these days with how cheap they are, inside you will find 2 diaphragms that get hard from age and stop working. plus the tiny passages plug up.

sears wants $27.35 for the kit, online they can be found for about 10 but frankly i found i was wasting my own time ,and getting a new one for about 10 or 15 a way better move, https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...8/id-530069811

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/re...arburetor.html

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; Yesterday at 07:10 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, Shovel liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
Sounds like this is a 2 cycle?

Read 87PowerShift's first paragraph. The diaphragm acts as a fuel pump and it dries up and no longer fluctuates to pump the fuel. Plus the passageways in a 2 cycle are very small. Unless you really know what you are doing with carbs and have the equipment, carb cleaner, reamer, carb cleaner tank soak, ultrasonic cleaner, in his second paragraph, buy a new Chinese carb. You can do little and it may work, then you may need to do a little more to get it to work, then you may need to do a lot more to get it to work, you don't know. You make the decision. If you buy a rebuild kit, I'd buy a reputable one as I've bought cheap diaphragms for 4 cycle B&S carb tank mounted engines and they don't work. Oregon and Stens were the off name brands that worked but they were only $1 less than a Briggs.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #5 of 18 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post
best to replace the carb these days with how cheap they are, inside you will find 2 diaphragms that get hard from age and stop working. plus the tiny passages plug up.

sears wants $27.35 for the kit, online they can be found for about 10 but frankly i found i was wasting my own time ,and getting a new one for about 10 or 15 a way better move, https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...8/id-530069811

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/re...arburetor.html

I did seach. The WA-229 carb is discontinued, and the replacement is a WT-902. But they are around $35 online.Paying $40 to buy a carb, when a whole new leaf blower could be bought for 75/80 seems silly. I thought a cheap chinese carb would be the answer too, but they can't be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Sounds like this is a 2 cycle?

Read 87PowerShift's first paragraph. The diaphragm acts as a fuel pump and it dries up and no longer fluctuates to pump the fuel. Plus the passageways in a 2 cycle are very small. Unless you really know what you are doing with carbs and have the equipment, carb cleaner, reamer, carb cleaner tank soak, ultrasonic cleaner, in his second paragraph, buy a new Chinese carb. You can do little and it may work, then you may need to do a little more to get it to work, then you may need to do a lot more to get it to work, you don't know. You make the decision. If you buy a rebuild kit, I'd buy a reputable one as I've bought cheap diaphragms for 4 cycle B&S carb tank mounted engines and they don't work. Oregon and Stens were the off name brands that worked but they were only $1 less than a Briggs.

I'll do a search. Given there isn't a chinese knock off for this available, the rebuilt kit might be the play here.
post #6 of 18 Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 719
Likes (Received): 250
for the op.that blower is a re branded Poulan one of the many companies owned by husqvarna which is where they get you on parts,

if it was me,i would put the money to a new machine also

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; Yesterday at 01:33 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 275
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 3328
Likes (Received): 677
ebay has Walbro WA rebuild kits for as low as $3 from China or $5 from a US shipper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/K20-WAT-Car...8AAOSw9sheOIoA

Have you replaced the spark plug? Is the plug wet after you try starting it? Have you done a compression test? These motors need a minimum of 80-100 psi to run. If compression and spark plug are good, I would agree, the diaphragm and fuel pump flaps are dried out and stiff.

I would buy the kit because I enjoy the challenge of reviving dead equipment. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #8 of 18 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 251
The Echo Zama carbs have factory diaphragm hits for about $8. Just did one of mine - *zero* to clean inside, just hardened ruhber. 10 mins to change, like new again . . .
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #9 of 18 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 247
Likes (Given): 140
Likes (Received): 499
I've rebuilt a half dozen Walbro carbs now; pretty easy to just replace the dead plastic/rubber bits and you're back in business.
post #10 of 18 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 273
Likes (Received): 170
+2 on rebuilding the Walbro carbs. It is not difficult, just be careful for the small parts, take a few pics along the way, and you'll be fine.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724 with Predator 212cc, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page