LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Talking I get to play repairman!

I talked with the Facilities Manager for the Facilities Group that oversees the maintenance and upkeep of 17 church buildings in the surrounding area I live in. I already put in a lot of volunteer time at these buildings fixing things (something which I greatly enjoy) and he has agreed to let me perform repairs on the 19 snow blowers that are staged at these buildings as needed. He or one of the 2 mechanics will bring to my house via trailer whichever snow blower needs to be worked on, and then when done, they will pick it up and return it to the respected building. By allowing me to work on it at my house, I'll be able to utilize good lighting, the right tools, and not having to haul everything around in my car. (at least until I get a truck again) So hence the question in the other thread about what you folks use to work on your equipment. This will also allow me to take as much time as I need and to be able to use online resources for help as needed too. While my dear sweet old mother won't be too pleased at me having big snow blowers in her garage from time to time, I'll do some extra stuff around the house to help make up for it.

There are already several that need work.

1st- The spare machine. A 90s vintage Ariens 22 or 24 inch something... It runs fine, but needs the kill switch/wire re-attached/soldered onto the throttle lever area. Only way to stop the machine right now is to pull out the little red tab/key thingie. I may just put in a toggle switch for on/off position. Will also give her a mobil-1 5w30 full synthetic oil change and grease treatment (wherever there are zerks) inspect the belts, and check the auger oil level, if there is even any for this type of unit. Will also put coat of wax on her.

2nd Once the Spare "Baby" machine is repaired, it will be taken to a building and the 80s vintage John Deere 826 will be brought back for some carb work. She's not running smoothly but she does run. I'm betting the carb is all gummed up. Going to soak it nice and long in some cleaner, inspect the fuel lines, and then see how she runs after that. I already changed the oil this year on site, so the only other maintenance would be to inspect the belts and grease her up and check the auger oil/grease. As well as a nice wax n clean

3rd will be a John Deere TRS-27 that has ripped up yet another auger drive belt (2nd one in 2 years) If I can get this repaired and aligned properly, she'll also get a grease treatment, wax, and fluid check of the auger thingie up front.

4th will be an early to mid 80s vintage John Deere 526? model I believe? This thing is at our most remote building, about 50 miles away. I had her running goooooooooood when I changed the oil this summer, however we have gotten complaints that she's a bitch to start in the cold or won't start at all. I like this little machine, I want to buy it. I'll give it a looksie over and see what I can do for her, but it is my intention to keep her closer to home until she is replaced, and I hope to move of the less troublesome John Deere TRS-27s out to that building. For sure this little 526 is going to need a grease treatment as well as a wax and auger oil/grease or whatever it needs up there.

5th will be another 80s vintage John Deere 826. This one has an issue where the engine speed will increase drastically after it is warmed up, for no reason at all, especially when I place my hands on the handlebars! Some sort of electrical gremlin in there. She also needs some paint, a wax job, and scraper bar adjusted and maybe new skids.

6th will be another John Deere TRS-27 that needs a new carb and is presently out of service after I stripped off the air mixture screw a few months ago We have a Honda at this building as well so they can get by with that back killer for the time being. included will be a new wax job, new skids, maybe a new scraper or scraper adjustment.

7th will be yet another John Deere TRS-27 that needs a good carb cleaning and possibly a replacement carb. I have put a lot of time into this old gal and she runs, but bogs down big time as far as the engine speed goes with very little snow to throw. She could use a wax job, paint touch up, new skids, scraper adjustment, probably needs new belts, and a belt/gear compartment cover, it somehow went missing

8th.. Well there really is nothing wrong with any of the Ariens units that we have, (3 ST1032s, 3 Newer or brand new Pro-32s, 1 something 30.. maybe a pro or platinum? (from the 2003-2005 vintage) but it's not fancy- and one Ariens built John Deere 827-D maybe? that is similar to the TRS-27s, but built by Ariens, and not Murray.. and then there is my beloved Deluxe-30 that has an auger belt slipping or ready to fail that I need to fix sooner rather than later. Aside from that, the only one not mentioned is another John Deere TRS-27 that right now runs fairly decently! Knock on wood.

So as you can see, I have plenty to keep me busy and happy. I can't wait to start.

The ST1032s have the Techu 10HP engines,
The Pro-32s have the B&S 1650 snow series engines
The Deluxe-30 has the B&S 1450 snow series engine
The odd ball something 30 or 32 inch Ariens has a B&S engine..
The baby Ariens has a Techu engine (the little thing is very stout and strong!)

All the John Deere TRS-27s and the 828D have the Techu's in em,
The John Deere 826s also have the Techus I believe.

As for the Honda... well I pulled the Honda engine out and put in a Predator after the thing seized up. It runs juuuuuuuust fine. Just too low to the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
sounds like you are going to be in the garage for awhile

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 6 Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 5
That sound great ! Best of luck .

eyeboltman
post #4 of 6 Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
And I was only kidding about the Honda. It runs just fine
post #5 of 6 Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
I suspect that your going to be doing more repair then waxing. May God bless you for your work to the Church
post #6 of 6 Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you. Regardless, it will be a good learning experience for me. I have the patience, and I am willing to learn. But just in case, I am stocking up on the ginger ale and candy. (I can't drink)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page