Another bucket list item- welding / brazing - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-01-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
Another bucket list item- welding / brazing

I am always working on various projects, and there are so many more things that I could do if I knew how to weld. Unfortunately, welding looks like a very expensive and complex craft that one would not casually pick up. Was looking at classes, and everything I am seeing is pretty expensive.

I have always done soldering, though more small electronics repairs, rather than larger things like a plumber might tackle.

A friend suggested that brazing can work for a lot of things that would seem to require welding (smaller stuff- no quarter inch steel plates). Looking into books on brazing / soldering to learn a little more.

I would love to be able to expand my range, but would prefer to keep my investment in the hundreds (rather than thousands) of dollars. Does anyone here do brazing (or welding), and can you offer any thoughts on this?

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)

Last edited by time2time; 02-01-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
I was in a similar boat recently. I grabbed one of those cheap flux core welders (< $90) from HF...more to break the ice & learn. A MIG (which can do both flux-core or solid-core + gas) just wasn't in the budget this year. If $$$ was no object, I would've gotten a Miller or Hobart MIG. With that said, with some practice, the HF flux core machine did some decent welds that helped get my 824 straightened-out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 12 Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...g-welders.html

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Dumb question (120v arc welding home wiring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
I was in a similar boat recently. I grabbed one of those cheap flux core welders (< $90) from HF...more to break the ice & learn. A MIG (which can do both flux-core or solid-core + gas) just wasn't in the budget this year. If $$$ was no object, I would've gotten a Miller or Hobart MIG. With that said, with some practice, the HF flux core machine did some decent welds that helped get my o824 straightened-out.
They have a 90 amp flux core welder on sale at HF really cheap.. Something like $81.84. Not sure if they'll accept the 20% coupon on top of the sale price, but that would make it under $70 with tax (plus helmet, misc accessories and supplies, etc). Tempting as a way to play around with lightweight stuff and start to learn. Ino 120v would limit me to lightweight stuff, but thinking it would be better to cut my teeth on something cheap and wait for pricier quality gear, until i better understand my actual needs, and what equipment would be suitable

The question that i have is regarding the 90 amp rating. Some say this welding rig is usable on regular household wiring. Does this actually draw 90 amps? (I don't have a whole lot of 100 amp circuits available.) Assuming this is probably probably pretty basic stuff, but can anyone help clarify how i would be able to use this at home?

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Shovels (and aspirin)

Last edited by time2time; 03-15-2015 at 08:22 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2time View Post
They have a 90 amp flux core welder on sale at HF really cheap.. Something like $81.84. Not sure if they'll accept the 20% coupon on top of the sale price, but that would make it under $70 with tax (plus helmet, misc accessories and supplies, etc). Tempting as a way to play around with lightweight stuff and start to learn. Ino 120v would limit me to lightweight stuff, but thinking it would be better to cut my teeth on something cheap and wait for pricier quality gear, until i better understand my actual needs, and what equipment would be suitable

The question that i have is regarding the 90 amp rating. Some say this welding rig is usable on regular household wiring. Does this actually draw 90 amps? (I don't have a whole lot of 100 amp circuits available.) Assuming this is probably probably pretty basic stuff, but can anyone help clarify how i would be able to use this at home?
That's 90A output. A standard 120V outlet is all you need for supply. I've seen somewhere that a dedicated 20A circuit is recommended. Nice unit to cut teeth on.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks time2time thanked for this post
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 12 Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
That's 90A output. A standard 120V outlet is all you need for supply. I've seen somewhere that a dedicated 20A circuit is recommended. Nice unit to cut teeth on.
That makes more sense.. I figured i was misinterpreting the 90 amp rating and was hoping a 20a circuit would suffice. Did read some reviews about cheaper arc welding rigs not lasting long, but, but hoping it would at least last thru a tinkering and learning stage.

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Shovels (and aspirin)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 11
I would avoid a chinese $80 welder. The minimum you should consider would be the Hobart : Hobart Handler® 140 MIG Welder - Tractor Supply Co..

You would quickly tire of that cheap machine and it would just be money thrown away.
I started with something similar to the Hobart from Lincoln and learned on it. The 140 is pretty versatile and would handle most of your repair needs.

Its really not hard to learn to weld if you are just doing mild steel. You just run a bead similar to caulking. Just takes a little practice to get the amps and wire speed dialed in.

Now I have a Miller 211 that does gorgeous welds.

1978 Ariens 924032 Teardrop repowered with a 1992 Tec 8 hp.

Last edited by Ken05; 03-15-2015 at 06:32 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 21
I'm using a Mastercraft WG2063 from Canadian Tire. It's a 40-70 amp welder. It comes equipped with a .035 flux core wire set-up which I figure needs the 4th (highest) heat setting and a 20A outlet to use. The first three heat settings only require a 15A outlet, but forget trying to use it with .035 flux core wire. Set it up with .030 flux core wire and this little welder is amazing on any of the three lower heat settings. Use an electrical outlet closet to your electrical panel for best performance (shortest electrical wire length). If you need to use an extension cord, make sure you use a 14 guage or even a 12 guage depending on length of extension. If I plug into an outlet with a long run of wire, I certainly notice the difference in performance. Using the .030 flux core wire makes all the difference in weldability with this welder and I expect with other brands as well as far as welding thinner materials and being able to use a 15A outlet. Also shield your welding from the wind. I've been welding for 40+ years and this welder is amazing for home repairs. It has gas set-up capability, but will stick with the flux core as it keeps it more portable and cheaper, and just does an amazing job the way it is.

~Ray~
~1975 Canadiana 1026 Heavy Duty w/light & limited slip differential (& custom exhaust (need to fabricate manifold), customized impeller housing, removable chute in about 5 sec) (currently out of service)

~ Craftsman 8/25 Trac-Drive C950-52671 (mid 80's ???) (current user) (replaced blown engine with original, now in service again)

~ Craftsman 12/32 OHV 71-52112-1 (now in service)

~Noma GP 1028EL (repaired and serviced for daughter to use)
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 9
I almost signed up for a welding class this Spring, we have numerous county run "adult classes" programs, and one was welding for hobbyists, not the "professional, certifying" level, just for tinkering. It was fairly inexpensive, participants were required to purchase a helmet and gloves however. I believe it was 16 sessions long and my schedule was a bit full.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
MIG welder is the way to go. It is fairly simple to learn, but you will need to practice, practice and practice. Watch youtube videos for tips and procedures.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page