LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Question Any HVAC insulation experts out there?

I've got some questions about air exchangers and insulation and I'm getting conflicting information to the point my head is spinning.

Living in the upper peninsula of Michigan near Manistique. HELP!

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
What's the conflicting/confusing info?
Well, what's your question? Someone here ought to be able to point you in the right direction.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
INsulation i know. some HVAC. what is you seek???

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I don't understand why everyone makes it so complicated. The golden rule is good air in, bad air out.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Maybe its more a matter of finding an installer I'm comfortable with. So, it might be that we need a good referral to a place that installs air exchangers in the Manistique/Thompson Township area. The only part of the house build that hasn't had issues of some sort or another has been the electrical, and I did that. When you look at the BBB's site to find contractors here in the U.P., they're as bad as the down state weather reporters, the U.P. doesn't exist.

We consulted with two building supply retailers, of course the inter web and a contractor before installing insulation in our basement. Had issues, reconsulted all of the above, and everything was going along fine until somebody else came along and said it had been done wrong. The wife is convinced that mold is climbing the walls like a vine.

We had the second floor spray foamed, and I've come to the conclusion that we're going to take the fiberglass down and have the first floor and basement spray foamed too. So, it's going to be like living in a beer cooler and we'll be needing an air exchanger.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
The only part of the house build that hasn't had issues of some sort or another has been the electrical, and I did that.
I think there may be a lesson to be learned there...

Why not install the air exchanger yourself? Research them online and find one that comes with good directions. If you follow the directions carefully you'll probably do a better job than 75% of "professionals" (who are way too smart to read manuals ).

Re the foam, just out of curiosity, are you talking about foam that's sprayed between wall studs and floor joists and hardens? It probably insulates like crazy but sounds like a nightmare if you ever have to do electrical or plumbing work...

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
I think there may be a lesson to be learned there...

Why not install the air exchanger yourself? Research them online and find one that comes with good directions. If you follow the directions carefully you'll probably do a better job than 75% of "professionals" (who are way too smart to read manuals ).

Re the foam, just out of curiosity, are you talking about foam that's sprayed between wall studs and floor joists and hardens? It probably insulates like crazy but sounds like a nightmare if you ever have to do electrical or plumbing work...
Funny you should say something about reading the manuals. We contracted to have our LP fireplace installed. After watching the two guys who came to do the job for awhile, my wife had to leave because, well, we're kind of picky about how stuff we paid our hard earned money for is handled.

They got it all hooked up, but when I heard one of them say, "I wonder how you light this thing?", I finally had to say whoa, and read the manual out loud to them on the process of ignition.

Yes, that's the type of insulation we had done on the second floor, and are most likely going to have done on the first floor. All the electrical and plumbing is in it's place and hopefully won't create a problem. biggest problem is having to undo all that I've already done insulation wise to have the spray foam installed.

I may just look around a bit more and consider installing the air exchanger myself. Heck, why not. I'll have the missus read the instructions to me.

Hey PS93, take a trip on up to da' U.P. eh?! Our tundra is thawing out a bit. Started out at -1 this morning. A whopping 28 right now. Saw a guy with a t-shirt and shorts on today. Supposed to get into the 40s by next week.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 03-28-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2015, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Ripping out old fiberglass is not fun. then you have to get rid of it. you got trash haulers up there in da up. stuff will not burn. well if you do not plan on any additions. and if everything is up to code then foam the snot out of the joint. i looked into that stuff. but here in the paradise city you need a contractors license in order to buy it. and to spray the whole garage would have in in the 6-7 thousand dollar ball park. and it is not the taig mahaul out there. if i wanted that i would have flatened it and started over. but that would begin a dance with the clowns that run this paradise city. and in the end it was just not worth the headache. are you running forced air or a boiler for heat. and do you have central air???

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page