LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 5
whole house standby generator

Since there are so many helpful people here on this forum, I figured I would ask if anyone here has recently installed a whole house generator. I have my eye on a Natural gas Generac 17kw whole house generator for $3,500. I live in the Long Island NY area and was curious if anyone in the tri state area recently had one put in and what the installation cost was for the plumbing, and installation of a 200 amp auto transfer switch. (Other areas please feel free to chime in as well as I know prices vary greatly from region to region) I am just trying to get a ballpark figure of what I am looking at. Also if anyone can recommend a good NY area installer it would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 4
My swag is that you will spend nearly as much getting that installed. It does sound like a cheap price for the genie though

85' Gilson 32" 10hp Tecumseh
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks joeyd5oh thanked for this post
post #3 of 17 Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
I did ours myself after Sandy. Went with a Kohler.
Pretty straightfoward....only work is getting the pad and setting it on.
Rouging gas, then trenching for the pipe and then running the electrical/control wires.
It's pretty straightforward if you are handy..
post #4 of 17 Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
Don't know about your town but make sure if you or whoever installs the unit check if you need a permit first. I needed one for mine. I did not pay for my install but my neighbor did for his. Permit and all materials needed (except for generator) was 700. In RI.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-05-2015, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 8
Thanks for the replies. Where I live I definitely need to get the proper permits, I have been through that ringer before with a garage extension where I neglected to get one. Permits means inspections by the town. While I don't doubt I could do the install myself I do not have a license for either trade and the town is going to want to see that. I have a few companies stopping by to give estimates next week hopefully its not that crazy
post #6 of 17 Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
I also did mine myself. We're in the process of putting an addition on our house, that involves electric, gas, and water. I am going to be doing everything but the water/plumbing. I hate that job. If you can possibly DIY that's the way to go. All of my work has to pass inspection.
If you do hire it out it's going to be pretty spendy.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 17 Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1167
I got 1 of those generc 17.5 portable gen sets. it has a 33hp v-twin on it. 2500.00 from generators direct. shipped to me door. it runs the whole house and then some. the downside was I had to have a electrician put the transfer/jump switch in to the tune of 1900.00 bucks. But that is the price I have to pay to live here in the paradise city. and to live it up when the power is out for over a week. otherwise I will go BLOODY STARK RAVING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by POWERSHIFT93; 10-06-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Zavie, joeyd5oh thanked for this post
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 10-06-2015, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I got 1 of those generc 17.5 portable gen sets. it has a 33hp v-twin on it. 2500.00 from generators direct. shipped to me door. it runs the whole house and then some.
17,500 watts! I squeak by with my little 3,250 watt propane fueled one that powers just the essentials! It's one step above camping! LOL

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes joeyd5oh liked this post
post #9 of 17 Old 10-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I got 1 of those generc 17.5 portable gen sets. it has a 33hp v-twin on it. 2500.00 from generators direct. shipped to me door. it runs the whole house and then some. the downside was I had to have a electrician put the transfer/jump switch in to the tune of 1900.00 bucks. But that is the price I have to pay to live here in the paradise city. and to live it up when the power is out for over a week. otherwise I will go BLOODY STARK RAVING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conversion to Propane or NG I hope you are running

I can't imagine running that off liquid

Last edited by mobiledynamics; 10-06-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-06-2015, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 17
I bought my generator about 18 months ago. Problem I had was we rarely lose power. Everything is underground around here. I didn't let that stand in the way of a new toy with an engine on it. I did get a portable instead of a standby unit. It is rated 9375 W start up and 7500 W continuous. I got this size because its my understanding they should only be loaded to about 50% of their capacity. It should run just about everything but my AC. I did convert it to natural gas (myself). I also did the NG hook up to my house myself. I had an electrician install a 50 amp inlet, a 50 amp gauge to monitor the balance of the load on the generator and a 50 amp circuit breaker in the fuse box along with an interlock to lockout the mains when I'm feeding power from the generator. I supplied all the parts and I think I paid $400 to have the electrician do the work.
I broke it in on gasoline. I have done a few test runs since on the NG and it runs great. Haven't had a power outage yet.

Honda HS720AS 2015
Toro 826E (38150) 1980
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes joeyd5oh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page