LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 1
Problem with coleman 5500 generator

Ok, I have a new issue with my coleman 5500 generator. I got it running yesterday but it would only run when it was at 1/2 to 3/4 choke. if it was not choked at all it would run choppy and or stall. I pulled the bowl off the carb and cleaned it all out. as I had it out i noticed a spring fell out. I could not really tell where it came from. It looked like it came out of the center hole on the bowl and then that plastic stick went in the hole. It does not seem like the spring belongs in there because rod/stick is tight. I could not see where else the spring goes. now when I start it it will only run if I pour gas into the carb or spray fluid into it. it stalls when it runs out of fuel. I am guessing that spring does something for the float? HELP!

*if you look at the bowl in the center is a rod/stick/plunger. I put the spring under that but as I think about it it it does not go there? any idea where the spring goes?

Ariens ST724, 1983? Model #924048, Tecumseh 7 HP, H70-130210H, No Electric start. Purchased 11/15/2013 from OO for $150.

Thanks for helping me out!!!

Last edited by Woody; 12-15-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
It was running lean to start with - so I bet the main jet is plugged up if it had bad gas or crap in it. You should clean it up and run a wire through every oriface. What model is the engine? Looks like tthat might be the spring that keeps hte float from bouncing maybe? Pull up an exploded view of that engine/carb and you should find it. By the way - Powermate bought out Coleman - so look under both names.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I took it apart again and removed the spring. I still could not figure out where the spring goes. the plunger has an oring on it. it is pretty tight when it goes into the center of the bowl. Put it back together sans spring. it still only runs if I put fuel into the carb and then dies. also I spray car cleaner into the bottom of the carb. Also when i first found the spring the float was attached to the bowl.

Ariens ST724, 1983? Model #924048, Tecumseh 7 HP, H70-130210H, No Electric start. Purchased 11/15/2013 from OO for $150.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
It was running lean to start with - so I bet the main jet is plugged up if it had bad gas or crap in it. You should clean it up and run a wire through every oriface. What model is the engine? Looks like tthat might be the spring that keeps hte float from bouncing maybe? Pull up an exploded view of that engine/carb and you should find it. By the way - Powermate bought out Coleman - so look under both names.
thanks. I report back.

*Tecumseh 11hp

Last edited by Woody; 12-15-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
I pulled the cover off the carb and I can spray fluid into it and get it running for a 5 seconds. obviously its not getting fuel from the bowl. I dont know anything about these carbs. I need to get a e6 torx to remove it and clean it up. any idea where the main jet is? I am wondering if that missing spring is doing something to the float?

post #6 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, so i figured out that the spring does go in the center of the bowl and then the plunger goes in. the plunger has an oring on it. i oiled the oring a little and when i put the spring in and then the plunger it has some tension on it. so that is all set. I pulled all the parts off the bowl and cleaned them and used a paper clip to make sure nothing was clogged. I then put the paper clip into the hole and up into the carb, I put it all back and still only runs when i pour gas into the choke part of the carb. as soon as I get a e6 torx I'll pull the carb and try and clean it. anyone know how to identify the carb so I can see about ordering one?

post #7 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...eral-info.html

the link in this thread can come in handy for some gereral help on OPE.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage

Please don't tack on problems with other equipment to a snowblower.

If you really need help and can't find an appropriate forum please use "off topic".

any idea what happened to your photos ?? None of them are showing up.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page