post #1 of 32 Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 35
In other current events...

Muslim Employees Quit Manufacturing Job After Company Changes Prayer Policies

Not sure how I feel, and probably don't know the whole situation.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Break time is break time. Nobody is special because they pratice a particular religion...... common sense needs to rule over political correctness. They are there supposed to do a job. If they don't like it - they don't have to work there. It really is that simple. Not hard to understand except for the media - they seem a bit dense.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes caddydaddy, pdesjr liked this post
post #3 of 32 Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
This is the first post on Ariens' Facebook page.

Quote:
A letter from Dan Ariens:

I understand that the headline and story featured on WBAY appears to be alarming news about Ariens Company. It is alarming to me as well. Unfortunately this headline does not tell our story very well. As many of you know, my family has operated manufacturing businesses in Northeast Wisconsin for more than 80 years. You also may know that we have only been successful by operating under a set of Core Values. We will: Be Honest, Be Fair, Keep our Commitments, Respect the Individual and Encourage Intellectual Curiosity. We work very hard as a team to accommodate all employees with our vision of Passionate People who Astound our Customers. In our manufacturing plants we work as a team to build the best power equipment product. Like any accommodation, we put a considerable amount of time into finding a solution that would work for both the employees and the company. Our staff is committed to providing a great place to work for all employees and have met with members of our Somalian employee group to better understand their needs. We consulted with local representatives who are of Muslim faith to help provide sustainable solutions. We want to be clear that no one was terminated here. We are asking employees to use two scheduled breaks for religious observation, and are offering designated prayer rooms. Additionally, we are also offering to look for positions on other shifts that might better accommodate prayer obligations. This change affected 53 employees. More than ten of the employees have contacted Ariens Company to say they will return to work under the new policy. And we welcome their return. We continue to be open to any of the employees returning to work under the new policy and I have sent a letter to each of them re-stating that offer. Let me be clear: we respect their faith, we respect the work they have done at Ariens, and we respect their decision regardless of their choice to return to work or not. Headlines do not make a story. If you want more details, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Dan Ariens
It also has a link to a news story.
WBAY - Ariens to hold news conference on employee prayer break policy - January 18, 2016

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 32 Old 01-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Since it's Ariens . . . I wouldn't expect them to allow 50 of anyone to take a break for prayer or anything else that wasn't scheduled since it's an assembly plant and everyone is needed at a station for the work to flow smoothly.

If you're religious and you need accommodations for whatever it's something you need to iron out when you apply for a job and unfortunately it might not be something some employers can do.

I'm just not sure why they were hired in the first place if the Co. knew they needed breaks that weren't the designated ones ??

Now if only the airlines would quit with the "emotional support pets" ...

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
when I first started working at henry's I was a truck driver. there was a guy that practiced the muslim faith that was a hi-li driver for Dearborn stamping plant receiving dock. at 7:35 every night he went to pray and no freight got received, it didn't take his supervisor that he couldn't work that or any other dock

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 32 Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 591
Garage
what ever happened to appreciating being gainfully employed , and realizing who butters yer toast ??? jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 Old 01-19-2016, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
Are You ( ) Kidding Me?

Ariens to hold news conference on employee prayer break policy
Andrea Hay
By Andrea Hay
Published: January 15, 2016, 5:26 pm Updated: January 18, 2016, 4:44 pm
Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window) Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window) 10K+Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)10K+ 1Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)1

Updated: 12:51 p.m. CST Jan. 18, 2016.

Ariens Manufacturing will hold a news conference Monday at 2 p.m. to discuss the company’s prayer-on-the-job policy, which drew pushback from dozens of Muslim employees.

The Brillion-based company’s Chairman/CEO Dan Ariens will address the media. Action 2 News will be there and have coverage tonight.

Read a statement from Dan Ariens below.

Before last Thursday, Somali Muslims employed by Ariens were allowed to leave the production line twice a shift to pray two of the five prayers their faith requires of them daily. They prayed five minutes at a time, designating their specific duties to colleagues.

A spokesperson for the Brillion-based equipment manufacturer said in a statement, in part:

We are asking employees to pray during scheduled breaks in designated prayer rooms. Our manufacturing environment does not allow for unscheduled breaks in production.”
Those affected said praying only during a meal break goes against Muslim practice.

“If someone tells you, ‘You pray on your break,’ and the break time is not the prayer time? It will be impossible to pray,” said Green Bay Masjid Imam Hasan Abdi.

Former Ariens equipment painter Ibrahim Mehemmed held out his unemployment packet and told us, “We pray by the time. So they say, ‘If you don’t pray at the break time,’ they give us this [unemployment] paper to just leave.”

“We are open to any of the employees returning to work under the new policy or will look for openings in shifts that do not coincide with prayer time,” read a statement from Ariens. “We respect their faith, and we respect their decision regardless of their choice to return to work or not.”

An Ariens spokesperson says the policy change impacts 53 workers, ten of which have indicated they wish to stay in their current positions under the new policy.

According to law listed by the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, “an employer does not have to accommodate an employee’s religious beliefs or practices if doing so would cause undue hardship to the employer… [such as] decreased efficiency” (read the law here).

“I have been 35 years in America and I’ve never heard of a company that is not allowing its employees to pray five minutes. It is absolutely discrimination on its face,” said Adan Hurr.

“Allow me to pray so that I can go back to work and do what I love to do, which is working for Ariens. But we are not allowed to do that. Yesterday what happened was just a travesty,” he said.

Imam said he has concerns for the future of the Muslim population in Green Bay. “If they got fired now, there’s no way they’ll get to stay in Green Bay. They’ll have to move to find work,” he said.

Ariens Company tells Action 2 News they “put a considerable amount of effort into finding a solution that allows for employees of Muslim faith to pray during work hours.”

“We met with members of our Somalian employee group to better understand their needs and consulted with local representatives of Muslim faith,” a spokesperson wrote.

Dan Ariens, President and CEO of Ariens, released this statement:

A letter from Dan Ariens:
I understand that the headline and story featured on WBAY appears to be alarming news about Ariens Company. It is alarming to me as well. Unfortunately this headline does not tell our story very well. As many of you know, my family has operated manufacturing businesses in Northeast Wisconsin for more than 80 years. You also may know that we have only been successful by operating under a set of Core Values. We will: Be Honest, Be Fair, Keep our Commitments, Respect the Individual and Encourage Intellectual Curiosity. We work very hard as a team to accommodate all employees with our vision of Passionate People who Astound our Customers. In our manufacturing plants we work as a team to build the best power equipment product. Like any accommodation, we put a considerable amount of time into finding a solution that would work for both the employees and the company. Our staff is committed to providing a great place to work for all employees and have met with members of our Somalian employee group to better understand their needs. We consulted with local representatives who are of Muslim faith to help provide sustainable solutions. We want to be clear that no one was terminated here. We are asking employees to use two scheduled breaks for religious observation, and are offering designated prayer rooms. Additionally, we are also offering to look for positions on other shifts that might better accommodate prayer obligations. This change affected 53 employees. More than ten of the employees have contacted Ariens Company to say they will return to work under the new policy. And we welcome their return. We continue to be open to any of the employees returning to work under the new policy and I have sent a letter to each of them re-stating that offer. Let me be clear: we respect their faith, we respect the work they have done at Ariens, and we respect their decision regardless of their choice to return to work or not. Headlines do not make a story. If you want more details, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Dan Ariens
post #8 of 32 Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
I saw this story today on Fox News today, complete with pictures from the Ariens manufacturing plant.

Here's the print story from Fox:

Dozens of Muslims leave company that limits prayer to scheduled breaks
Dozens of Muslims leave company that limits prayer to scheduled breaks | Fox News

Good luck finding a job in the North Woods in mid January.........
I guess the most ambitious among them could always buy a show shovel and go house to house like we use to do when we were kids looking to improve on our allowances, if we even got one.

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
post #9 of 32 Old 01-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 20
We took religion out of schools to be politically correct and not offend other cultures. But a company that has a set a rules that agreed upon has to bend the rules for praying time. People need to wake up the laws, rules,company policy etc are for everyone not just certain people. In certain country's there allowed to stone people in the street does this mean because it allowed there it should be allowed in North America? Where does it stop?? Ariens is right to follow there rules here in my opinion
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, pdesjr liked this post
post #10 of 32 Old 01-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
I wonder if Muslim countries allow non-Muslim citizens or residents to observe traditional holidays with time off from work.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rob711 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page