LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 31
Pressure washer help

I'm in the process of fixing my pressure washer and was hoping someone on here knows a lot more about them than my self.

Tried another forum but didn't have much luck so I'm turning to the place I trust!

Last summer the unloader stuck shut and almost stalled the engine. I pulled the unloader apart and decided it was best to hunt down a replacement. I have that and plan on getting an inlet sediment filter, new quick couplers and a pressure gauge to set the new unloader. Besides that, I need to pull the rims off and sand/paint them and hopefully get the beads to seal but that's minor.

Last night I pulled it out and ran pump protector into it just to be sure it wouldn't freeze over the next few days.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about on an older machine? What are the chances of something failing badly on the pump? My concerns are some of the o rings in the unloader were in less than great condition. Some were good, some were bad. It looks like a new pump goes for $300+ so I'd rather not do something that risks destroying it.

It's also my understanding, that I should never adjust the unloader to control pressure? Apparently it should always be set at 2600 PSI on this machine and I should only switch tips? Wouldn't lowering the unloader's set pressure be easier on the pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0181A.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	79497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0182A.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	79505  

1999 Ariens 924108 824SLE.

1933 GE Monitor Top refrigerator restoration video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChrisJ; 02-12-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
When I put mine away for any length of time I fill up the pre-filter housing with rv antifreeze, flip it upside down and pull the engine over until it squirts pink out the pump (hose removed).
Cheap insurance from freezing and also adds rust inhibitors.

$12 at HomeDepot

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-13-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ChrisJ, 404 thanked for this post
Likes 404 liked this post
post #3 of 17 Old 02-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
+1 - - keep it full of the pink stuff until spring. Otherwise guys like me hunt down bad PW's and steal the Honda off them for blowers! ;>)

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ChrisJ, Kiss4aFrog, 43128, toroused liked this post
post #4 of 17 Old 02-12-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
+1 - - keep it full of the pink stuff until spring. Otherwise guys like me hunt down bad PW's and steal the Honda off them for blowers! ;>)
That was the previous plan for this.
I was going scrap it and put the engine on the blower, but I fixed the Tecumseh so we decided to put some money and time into the washer and put it back into use.

post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Boy did this all turn into a nightmare.
Installed the new unloader, it worked for a bit but failed again. Found out there was a crack in the hose that was leaking and keeping the unloader from going into bypass.

Next was all of the O rings in the quick couplers and then realized a low pressure seal was leaking.

To pull the seals out of the pump I ended up damaging a few front piston guides and a few rear ones. Probably due to both a lack of the right tools (a slap hammer with the proper end) and the fact it has not been a apart in a very long time.

Everything is here except the new rear piston guides which are coming tomorrow.

After I put the pump back together with all new seals and slap the new hose on it I expect things to work properly. I hope.

The good news is, I learned an awful lot about triplex plunger pressure washer pumps and their unloaders. The bad news is I've dumped around $250 into the project including the new hose, seals, unloader etc. The fact such a machine goes for $900-1000 makes me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0393A.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	84417  

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-13-2016 at 06:00 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
That's what's been my experience with them.... slippery slope to expensive parts. I only fix the engines on them. If the pump parts are bad I just deliver the bad news and move on. I can usually find other PW's with bad engines to rob for parts.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #7 of 17 Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
That's what's been my experience with them.... slippery slope to expensive parts. I only fix the engines on them. If the pump parts are bad I just deliver the bad news and move on. I can usually find other PW's with bad engines to rob for parts.....

Yeah.......
There's nothing expensive on a snowblower that fails.

The pump would've been $52 to replace all of the water seals in assuming I had the right tools to pull the piston guides out. Hoses are hoses, so I'm not sure if I can count that. The unloader can be had for $80-90.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 318
Likes (Received): 626
I get PWs with bad pumps all the time. Buy a new Pump on ebay, I Just got one for $60 shipped. Problem Solved. Or-You can waste time and money on the old one.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-14-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
I get PWs with bad pumps all the time. Buy a new Pump on ebay, I Just got one for $60 shipped. Problem Solved. Or-You can waste time and money on the old one.
Really?
Where have you seen an Annovi Reverberi XM series pump for that kind of money? My specific model is XMV3G27.

I would've gladly bought a new pump if I could find one for less than $300.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2016, 04:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 318
Likes (Received): 626
Just get a pump that matches the size of the crank, and don't worry about the brand. It makes no sense to buy the same brand pump that failed you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page