LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 33
Short video on a motorcycle addict.

My nickname is Rosco and I'm a Motorcycle nut.
This guy is spot on about today's youth. He's a dying breed.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Yanmar Ronin, YSHSfan, caddydaddy liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I think we need to put more value into making something rather than just making money and not producing anything but the money by a few.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-2016, 01:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - I think he's overstating the obvious. A lot of high schools start shaving shop classes when cost cutting measures kick in which doesn't help.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
I wholeheartedly agree with his sentiments.

Back in WWII the massive industrial manufacturing base of the US was converted to the war effort and produced everything from shells to tanks to bombers in astounding numbers and at astonishing rates. Ford's Willow Run plant had the ability to produce a B-24 bomber every hour. This capacity was so critical it was called "The Arsenal of Democracy."

Now? Union greed, CEOs and the investor classes have forced virtually all such capacity off-shore, to countries that could conceivably be adversaries in some future, foreseeable conflict.

I love this forum because it's filled with people doing stuff like this -- fixing, repairing, upgrading, tinkering, mucking-about etc. Working with wrenches and tools, getting grease under the fingernails, skinning and knuckle or two.

So many people don't do this anymore and, perhaps worse, they aren't passing anything on to their children. People are just zombies walking around with "devices" and if something breaks they're lost; time to order something and have it delivered while the old equipment goes to the curb.

Not sure what the future holds but it's probably fairly bleak.

I too am a motorcycle nut. I'm a nut about my cars (supercharged Mustang, WRX STi) and even my modest little fleet of small-engine powered equipment.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 8 Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
I may not have been a motorcycle guy, wanted to be, but none came my way. But I definitely connected with the idea of working all week to get something running for the weekend. And frankly I agree with most of what is said here. As a father, I try to introduce my kids to the useful arts, whenever I can.

That said, I also teach at a vocational high school. And honestly, it gives me some hope in the future. I absolutely find joy, going over on my lunch and hanging out in the automotive fields, and sharing. Last year, I even took in my ultrasonic cleaner, and did a carb clean on a fellow teachers mower. The instructors of those programs were so impressed, that they submitted for their own ultrasonic cleaners in their program. And of course the kids said it would never work, proved them wrong.

This all said, I would have killed to work in that guys shop on the weekends, still would.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
I taught but I always enjoyed working with my hands and looking back at the end of the day and saying... " I built that." 'Using everything your mind, your muscle, hands etc... No better feeling in life. Besides that DIY saves a heck of a ton of money. It's all good.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
^^ That used to be a great motivator for people to save money. Funny how things have changed over the years slowly but incrementally.... moving away from manufacturing to just service and distribution jobs. It will take another large scale war to bring us back to where we were at 40 years ago..... not a good prospect. On the other hand, I would encourage any kid now to take up a trade like auto technician. They will have no problem finding work or starting their own business in the foreseeable future because competition will be lacking.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2016, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
I take pride in the fact that it has been years since I've had to have someone else fix one of my cars, trucks or motorcycles. I do it all myself.
Tonight, I had my 5 year old son in the garage with me, and he helped me change the oil and filter on the motorcycle. I want him to know how to fix things himself. He already knows how to grab the correct screwdriver to open up his battery powered toys, and put the right batteries in! Some adults struggle with that! haha

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page