LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Anyone here a gardener?

I have a vegetable garden, roughly 38 x 12. This is its first year, and I screwed up by not killing the grass before tilling it up this spring, so it ended up with a lot of grasses and weeds. I was unable to keep up, and a lot of it went to seed. I don't want to till that in or even burn it now, because I'm afraid seeds will survive the winter and make an appearance next spring.

One thought was to round up everything now, and physically remove the dead plant matter into bags to be thrown out.

Another option I read is to cover the area with layers of newspaper and then chopped leaves and possibly black plastic for the winter. When spring comes around, till it with peat moss and manure.

Looking for advice in this area, to minimize weeds carrying over into spring, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by thool View Post
I have a vegetable garden, roughly 38 x 12. This is its first year, and I screwed up by not killing the grass before tilling it up this spring, so it ended up with a lot of grasses and weeds. I was unable to keep up, and a lot of it went to seed. I don't want to till that in or even burn it now, because I'm afraid seeds will survive the winter and make an appearance next spring.

One thought was to round up everything now, and physically remove the dead plant matter into bags to be thrown out.

Another option I read is to cover the area with layers of newspaper and then chopped leaves and possibly black plastic for the winter. When spring comes around, till it with peat moss and manure.

Looking for advice in this area, to minimize weeds carrying over into spring, thanks!
Yeah I do some farming check out all the pics I posted in what did you today.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
I have a 50x50 fenced and then a smaller additional open area for stuff the deer and rabbits don't like :-) . I too didn't kill the grass but I just go in and till the heck out of it. Unless you're using something during the season you'll always get some seeds blown in from grass, weeds and anything else trying to live. I don't use anything but I run the tiller through the isles occasionally to help and hand pick the rest. I started to use cardboard around the base of some of the plants and it helped a lot. Will end up just tilling them in soon as frost will be coming. Will likely pay a visit to a local parts store to see if I can get some clean oil jug boxes next spring. I think Orielly still throws cardboard out, Autozone saves it and sends it back but they are usually happy to hand them out too.

If I do have to break any new ground I'm going to kill the heck out of the grass first. I'm tired of trying to bust sod with the tiller. Just too much work trying to kill grass that way.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
i had/have a similar issue with my little 300 square foot veggie patch. i planted it close to 20 years ago, had no luck and gave up. well it grew up with some kinda nasty weed in those 20 years. this year i was inspired to try again......so i went in with a rotary plow and chopped all those weeds and roots into little bits...well.....every tiny bit of chopped up root sprouted a new plant. persistance did pay off i think.....i stayed at weeding the sprouts and had a nice garden, still have literally hundreds of cherry tomatoes on the vine.
use mulch in your pathways and pluck a few weeds every other day so they dont get ahead of you.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 75
Likes (Given): 316
Likes (Received): 145
On the daughters garden 50 x 40 tried newspapers but did not help much the big Cardboard from a hot tub place worked the best.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 9
So for the cardboard, does it go on top and get weighed down with rocks and wood?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 75
Likes (Given): 316
Likes (Received): 145
I believe that we used some soil mixed with compost. that was 2 years ago. Used mostly big cardboard 8 x 8, and over lapped by 1 ft each. Now I do not remember how successfull this was but better than newspaper and one of here friends used a tarp and it did not work out very well.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 09-22-2016 at 10:46 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
I just use plain old cardboard and put grass clippings over the top for mulch. Let the clippings lay for a few days before you collect them for the garden so they can dry. Works great and kills 2 birds with one stone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page