LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Tried my hand at Blasting

Abrasive Blasting that is. I've got some stuff coming up to deal with substantial rust plus I'm in the middle of an older blower with surface rust, so it seemed the right time to consider abrasive blasting.
I picked up a pressurized blaster over New Years on sale, then some abrasive also on sale. Add a couple of tarps on sale and some plastic pipe (not on sale) and you might think I like sales (which I do).
I made a pseudo blasting cabinet out of plastic pipe

I wrapped it in a tarp then added another one for a backdrop. Ran the hose out the basement window from the compressor (5 hp 60 gal) unit and had at it. Here's my setup:

I went through 100 lbs of abrasive doing the auger housing, impeller housing and some misc parts. All in all they came out pretty good. I had been using a wire wheel on a grinder and it wasn't doing that well cleaning everything up but blasting pretty much finished the job.
Here's a before on the auger housing:

The outside we pretty much the same shape and here's the bottom after blasting it

Here's the end panels also after blasting them once

It didn't clean them up 100% but this was my first try at it. I've done some rust neutralizing and priming so far and it's come out fairly well compared to what it looked like before

You want to have the right protection(mask, visor, heavy clothing etc) but it does work. Be nice to have a real blasting cabinet as the blowback on dust was bad, but it did do the job and very little cleanup and I recovered most of the abrasive (other than the stuff outside the frame that was contaminated by blowing leaves etc). I'll definitely be doing this again on the next machine I work on and plan to paint.

I may try yet some electrolosys on the next one to see what happens there but it's too cold outside to consider it now.
The blower is the last one I picked up, a 10 HP 32", sad shape to start but getting there

Last edited by HCBPH; 01-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Everything looks GREAT HCBPH Very creative looking blasting cabinet. Rust repairs should be very easy now. Anything beats having to hand sand deep set rust >>>>>>>>> Talon

Original owner of a low mileage 1986 Toro 521 2 stage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
blasting

It is coming along better than I had hoped for. I bought it for the price of the electric starter on it.
Here's the picture from the original ad:

Here's what it looked like once I pulled it from the snowbank

I've been cherrypicking parts from a parts machine I bought to redo the Searsasaurus. Still had quite a few parts left over, and I needed a number of them for this one. It's amazing what some people do to blowers, this one was one of two of the worst neglected/screwed-up machines I bought this last year. If I hadn't gotten it for what I did ($50) I don't know if I would have fixed it or just used the starter like I originally intended and part out the rest of it.

So far it's cost me paint, switched out the bushings on the axel and auger to bearings, a carb kit, some tin for a skid pan along with some misc bolts. Then there's the time and elbow grease I've put into it. For a 10 hp 32" machine, doesn't seem like a bad price for that kind of capacity once I get it all back together.

I may end up keeping this one unless I get an offer I just can't refuse. Though I still have to deal with the same door/fence issue I had with the Searsasaurus - too small an opening to get through unless I took down the fence (or eventually put in a bigger door)
post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Looks good HCBPH!

That's one thing I haven't yet tried. There is a sandblaster at work that I know I could borrow if I ever need it, but sofar I have used the sanding method for my projects. From what I've read sandblasting does a much better job.

Wayne

post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne195 View Post
There is a sandblaster at work that I know I could borrow if I ever need it, but sofar I have used the sanding method for my projects. From what I've read sandblasting does a much better job.
I had used a knotted wire brush on a grinder and a sander prior to trying the abrasive blasting. Definitely got alot more using the blaster but cleaning up the worst ahead of time seemed to help some. I didn't remove 100% of the old rust and paint using the blaster but I'm sure once it's dialed in, it will do better. Trying to get rust out of pitted areas was a problem.

One thing, I blew off the tip of one finger of a heavy leather glove (couldn't see due to the dust blowback and holding the part because it was small), so watch what you're doing

Paul

Last edited by HCBPH; 02-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
I would guess that you could blow though your blue tarp with ease also. What type of media are you using for the heavy rust removal?

Original owner of a low mileage 1986 Toro 521 2 stage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon1189 View Post
I would guess that you could blow though your blue tarp with ease also. What type of media are you using for the heavy rust removal?
If you got the deadman close to the tarp, I agree it would likely cut right through that tarp. Most times it was around 12" away and that seemed to be ok for now.

On the abrasive, I tried out Black Diamond
Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive | Abrasive Blasting Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment
Seems like a decent price if you can get it delivered to one of their stores, otherwise it's something like $33 a bag delivery. If you catch it, you can run it through multiple times (only tried twice so I don't know how long it's good for). This is something like 80 grit abrasive.

Seemed best to beat off the worst of the paint and rust with a wire brush in a grinder. On a side note, you want a NIOSH certified respirator when using this type stuff (based on manual info). HF has some, and if you catch the coupon, you can get one of those for $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page