Shopping for tires for your car/truck... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
russkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 595
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
Shopping for tires for your car/truck...

Well it's time for a new set of tires for my GMC Yukon.

I don't drive it much (3,000 miles a year approx), so any tire will need replacing long before the tread wears out.

It's been a while since I've shopped locally for tires and most of the large chains are only discounting the tires 7-10 dollars per tire below msrp. Tires with an msrp around 170-190 each.

Stopped into a small local independent shop and their price for LT (10 ply rated) AT tires was $500 out the door plus taxes.
Same tires at a large chain was $780 out the door plus taxes.
Currently no rebates on the tires I'm considering (Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus, LT265/75r16)

That seems like a huge difference for the same tires.
I remember the large chains discounting their prices far more than 7-10 dollars each, when I last bought new tires.

Anyone know what the markup is on tires at a large chain ?
If you've purchased tires recently, how much less did you pay than msrp/the price that comes up on their computer screen ?

Does the price difference reflect the huge overhead of the large chains or is the small shop just pricing their tires so low to bring in customers.

The small shop has great reviews on yelp as well.
I checked online and the best price I could find was still 40 dollars more per tire and that does not include mounting/balancing.

Maybe the tires are blems at the small shop. I'll look into it.
russkat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
sscotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NY, USA
Posts: 3,704
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by russkat View Post
, so any tire will need replacing long before the tread wears out.
really? why? my whole life the only reason to get new tires has been worn out tread..
if the tread takes 10 years to wear down, the tires should be fine for that long..
why are you replacing them before the tread is worn?

For the past 8 years or so, I have been shopping for tires like this:

Get the tire size, and go to tirerack.com and read customer reviews.
I use the customer reviews there the same way I use Amazon reviews for other products..
If a tire is reviewed well, then I search on-line for that model tire at local shops..
Sears, Mavis tire, Dunn tire, Pep boys, and several other local shops..
then I find a good price, and go to the shop to buy..
I do *all* my research on-line..I know exactly what I want when I go to the shop to buy.

We have a 1999 Chevy S10 and a 2009 Ford Focus..both get new tires about every 3 years or so...
I check the tread every autumn to decide if they are good for another winter or not..
if yes, they get checked again the following Autumn..if no, I shop for new tires before the snow flies.

(I will also check the tread mid-summer if we are planning a long road-trip vacation.)

Scot


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sscotsman is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 105
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
It's not uncommon for manufacturers to suggest annual inspections of tires when they hit the 5 year mark, and to replace at 10 years, regardless of tread depth. With the OP only driving 3000mi per year, he'll hit 10 years with only 30,000mi on them with the tread likely still nice and thick (especially as an AT tire). I think the issue is more prevalent in warm climates where rubber will age faster and where the vehicle is stored outdoors in the sun.

I'd confirm that the small shop will offer and service the full warranty of the tires with Nokian (like if they need to be an authorized dealer or something like that). Even if they're blems, I'd like to think that they would still be perfectly safe. Might be a perfect compromise for a low mileage vehicle like yours. Also would be worth checking the manufacture date on the tires, make sure they're not old stock that they're pushing.
EdwardC is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
russkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 595
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
really? why? my whole life the only reason to get new tires has been worn out tread..
if the tread takes 10 years to wear down, the tires should be fine for that long..
why are you replacing them before the tread is worn?

For the past 8 years or so, I have been shopping for tires like this:

Get the tire size, and go to tirerack.com and read customer reviews.
I use the customer reviews there the same way I use Amazon reviews for other products..
If a tire is reviewed well, then I search on-line for that model tire at local shops..
Sears, Mavis tire, Dunn tire, Pep boys, and several other local shops..
then I find a good price, and go to the shop to buy..
I do *all* my research on-line..I know exactly what I want when I go to the shop to buy.

We have a 1999 Chevy S10 and a 2009 Ford Focus..both get new tires about every 3 years or so...
I check the tread every autumn to decide if they are good for another winter or not..
if yes, they get checked again the following Autumn..if no, I shop for new tires before the snow flies.

(I will also check the tread mid-summer if we are planning a long road-trip vacation.)

Scot
Thanks Scot...

At altitude up here in Colorado the sun and dry climate really takes a toll on tires, especially if parked outside every day, year after year, like 3 of my 5 vehicles are.

I've seen top tier tires develop cracks in the sidewall in 5-6 years.

I remember a report put out be the NTSB which said that 84% of all traffic deaths caused by tire failure, the tires were at least 6 years old.
russkat is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
sscotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NY, USA
Posts: 3,704
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by russkat View Post
Thanks Scot...

At altitude up here in Colorado the sun and dry climate really takes a toll on tires, especially if parked outside every day, year after year, like 3 of my 5 vehicles are.

I've seen top tier tires develop cracks in the sidewall in 5-6 years.

I remember a report put out be the NTSB which said that 84% of all traffic deaths caused by tire failure, the tires were at least 6 years old.
Interesting, thanks for the additional details..
I have never heard of this before! I guess I have never known anyone who has tires last more than 5 years!
I have always been a "heavy driver" though..I probably do 15k a year or more, so this is new to me..

Scot


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sscotsman is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
russkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 595
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
With 5 cars, the mileage is split between them, 2 of which hibernate during the winter, hence the low miles on each vehicle.

I know Firestone is having a 100 dollar off sale on all tire purchases over 500 dollars Nov. 17-20.
It might be just a local franchisee sale.
I've had great luck with the Transforce AT tires on my 3/4 ton truck and they are they are very close.
Sailun (chinese) is also a very highly regarded tire within the RV and commercial truck communities.
They also make car and light truck tires that are reasonably priced.
russkat is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Norfolk, NE
Posts: 144
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Black friday is coming up, keep your eyes peeled for some sales. Personally I don't buy tires unless there is a rebate. I went with Cooper AT3's on my pickup, the E rated version and Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on my car, both had $70 rebates. Plus the guy I get my tires from will match any online price going on, all I have to do is show him the site. He sells a lot of tires by doing this.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
DuffyJr is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 474
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Last tires I bought were from tirerack.com good prices. I mount and balance them myself. Check em out.
DriverRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome