Free Ariens 922 Series w/ Tecumseh 5 HP Engine - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 61
Wow! You've put a lot of work into this machine. I forgot about the two PTO shafts on its engine. One of the forum members wants this machine and I'm happy it won't be scrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnod View Post
Don't forget this is a dual shaft engine -- so a predator would have to be altered. I used a Harbor Freight puller for the flywheel, and while I had the carb off, I also pulled the head and lapped the valves. I did not check compression.

When I originally got this machine, I pulled the carb and it was very rusty inside and had a bunch of white powder in the bowl. Rather than do anything with that carb, I put on one of my older carbs I had recently rebuilt.

So, I've put some time into it, yet am not crying tears if it goes to a good home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-03-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 130
Likes (Received): 27
And it's gone to a guy who hopes to get this old metal back into action!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2020, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 231
Garage
Apologizing for semi hijacking...

I wish I could find locally (eastern Iowa) an HS50 for these 22k series in good shape. I got two 922002's with tired 4HP engines that are otherwise in excellent original shape.

If I knew what the crank and reverse shaft lengths and diameters are, there are a few engines on Ebay that might work, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere on the internet what these Ariens HS40's and HS50's have.

Then it'd be a matter of pulling the pulleys off the HS40's and transferring them over, mount the replacement engine...voila. There's an HS50-67009C that looks like it came off an Ariens (the original 5HP was an HS50-67008 I believe)...but I'd like to be certain before I jump.

I've thought about tearing into the HS40's, but I have never removed a flywheel etc or lapped valves on a small engine before. They both currently run and are usable, but it's obvious they need some engine work (to me anyway) and I'm not sure I want to drop money into them (or possibly destroy them as a learning exercise) when there may be a viable replacement engine out there.

My Frankenstein 922008 has a replacement HSSK50-67283N on it. That also would obviously work. Tecumseh made replacement engines for these machines at some point, but I get the feeling they're effectively unicorns.

I obviously like these smaller machines. With 4HP they're under-powered imho, but with 5HP and for my location's needs, they're perfect...plenty of grunt for up to 8".

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower, my main machine
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", #2 and now running fantastic
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", untried but ready to go
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gsnod thanked for this post
post #14 of 16 Old 01-05-2020, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
What makes you think the 4hps are worn out?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 231
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcinma View Post
What makes you think the 4hps are worn out?
One bogs down fairly easily under load to the point of stalling out at times - the governor seems to be non-functioning. Rebuilt the carb, yet it's been difficult dialing in the throttle linkage/governor settings to get the max rpm's to stay around 3600 nor to handle any appreciable loads. The PO when I acquired it, someone had monkeyed with the governor to where if you pulled full throttle it would top out at about 5K...which I am surprised didn't grenade the engine. I suspect that's the only rpm he could get it to throw snow efficiently yet not die.

The other one runs a lot better, but I have had the same issue dialing in rpm's to about 3600 steadily. It's better running across the board and is a much better "useful" blower currently. I have rebuilt its carb also which got it up and running, but other than playing with the gov/throttle cable settings to somewhat dial it in better, I haven't been able to really use it much at all for it was a late winter get last March. I feel a lot better about this one overall though...just cannot prove it yet.

The problem currently with both is lack of snow to test latest adjustments - I've only gotten to use the good one once and for the most part it was a good blower but not as good as my 5HP version of the line. The bad one, that one is usable too but really only for light snows.

My bet is since they are 48 year old engines that have all original internals/parts and at the very least need someone more experienced than I to go through them to diagnose/adjust. Given they're 4HP, I'm betting they got ran hard their entire lives and are simply "tired" from use.

I've studied Tecumseh manuals, researched videos/internet things galore. I'm pretty good at carb rebuilding too. Been doing carbs for boat motor dual and tri carb engines, Weber auto tri-carb setups, lawn mower carbs etc for a long time. These two engines...they "test my limited diagnosis capabilities" and I can't figure out what the deal with them is.

They might wind up being the machines I teach myself how to tear down and rebuild (always wanted to learn how to do it), but not until spring at the earliest, yet I'd like to find a good replacement 5 hp engine as backup just in case.

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower, my main machine
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", #2 and now running fantastic
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", untried but ready to go
post #16 of 16 Old 01-06-2020, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 61
If the governor is properly functioning then the throttle is barely cracked open when there's no load on engine. The governor should pull the throttle full-open if engine is loaded and RPMs drop below the governed speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page