Craftsman 9HP-29" Need Auger Gearbox, Augers and mounting bearings. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-21-2016, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Craftsman 9HP-29" Need Auger Gearbox, Augers and mounting bearings.

I just got a Craftsman 536.887996 - (9-29) 9HP Tecumseh with 29inch clearing width.

The auger bucket is virtually empty. I have the impeller and impeller shaft but nothing else. Haven't checked the engine or anything else yet. Will be testing in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, I'm trying to decide whether to just use the 9HP engine to repower some other machine and scrap or part out what's left....or... try to turn this into a working snowblower.

I would need the auger geabox, augers, auger shafts, bearings/mounting plates. May be prohibitively expensive to ship?

It's easiest to understand what's missing by looking at the photo.

Anyone got what I need?

Photo:
https://goo.gl/photos/FNxjPhokK6skkEHn8

Sears Parts:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...7/1507200.html

I am guessing any 9/29 machine could be used as a donor.

For example this one is a 536.887992
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wm78gazlb...8MH-FwAYa?dl=0

Last edited by unknown1; 02-21-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Wounder if someone hit something and shattered the gearbox or what happened. I take it you asked the person you got it from if they had the rest? Or did you grab it from the garbage somewhere?

536. is a Murray prefix, so include Murray machines in your search.

Maybe you will get lucky and find something with a blown engine or a stripped auger gear.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Wounder if someone hit something and shattered the gearbox or what happened. I take it you asked the person you got it from if they had the rest? Or did you grab it from the garbage somewhere?

536. is a Murray prefix, so include Murray machines in your search.

Maybe you will get lucky and find something with a blown engine or a stripped auger gear.
Unfortunately, the last time this was a snowblower was (at least?) 2 owners and (at least?) 2 years ago... so the missing parts are nowhere to be found. One can never be sure about the story that goes with a machine but here it is..

The first owner apparently hit something and bent the augers out of shape and removed them. The next guy (who sells firewood) saw the engine run and bought it (just for the engine) to make a log splitter or something like that. He didn't ask for the broken parts. He then ended up using a different (twin Intek) engine instead. Since he has no interest in snowblowers, the machine just sat unused for a couple of years until he ran out of projects needing engines and finally decided to get rid of it and sell it to me.

I bought it sight-unseen on an impulse thinking I would see if I can find the missing augers or at least use the engine. I'm fairly trusting that way. I have a couple of Toros (724, 824) with thrown connecting rods needing engines. I don't know yet how good this engine is, if it even works, or if it will fit. The last time the engine ran was a couple of years ago... but if the story is true it should run. I will be checking things over a little more closely in the next few days.

Like you say, my best chance for turning this back into a snowblower is probably to find a compatible machine locally with a blown engine. First things first.. I need to check to make sure exactly what I've got here. Hope there's a working transmission in there when I open the belly!!

I don't care too much what the final result is... I'm still at the hobbyist stage where this is just a fun learning experience... but like all hobbyists who go down this path, I'm rapidly running out of space in my graveyard and need to start turning some of them into working machines.

Last edited by unknown1; 02-21-2016 at 12:30 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
You'll find Murray Augers, Auger Shafts, and GearBoxes on eBay.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I it was mine, too many missing pieces. I would use the motor for something else. Remove the handles, bucket and toss them. Sell the snow tires and rims (usually an easy sell at $40 to guys with old machines looking to upgrade tires) and store the small tractor section for future finds. Hopefully the tires and rims pay for most of the whole purchase.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-22-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
I it was mine, too many missing pieces. I would use the motor for something else. Remove the handles, bucket and toss them. Sell the snow tires and rims (usually an easy sell at $40 to guys with old machines looking to upgrade tires) and store the small tractor section for future finds. Hopefully the tires and rims pay for most of the whole purchase.
Yes I tend to agree. I may hang on for a while though and see what turns up locally. Using the engine and selling the wheels is a practical way forward... but it seems like such a pity. I'm still at that stage where I hope to rescue machines and bring them back to life. Maybe I need to get a bit more pragmatic before the snowblowers start to take over my living room.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Now what kind of talk is that!! lol

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
I hope this posting gets some views even though it's in the "Wanted" section

So I checked over the machine. It seems complete except for the obvious missing augers.

I ultrasound cleaned the carb. It was a fixed jet. When I put it back on, the engine was surging and hunting.

I have a spare carb from a blown 8HP Toro engine. It's spotless and nearly-new so I switched that one on. The surging has stopped but the engine still seems to "cough" instead of purring.

Is anyone good at diagnosing just from the sound of an engine?

If this was an OHV I'd check and fix the valve clearances... but it's a flat-head and I haven't done that before. Seems like more work to get to the valves and even more work if they need to be adjusted.

Before going into that I wondered if anyone could listen to the video and make any suggestions... It seems to "cough" more when I listen to it live...
the sound on the video doesn't pick up the coughing as clearly as I hoped but it's still fairly obvious.

Video:
https://goo.gl/photos/CWJt9CgY6mdWjKR26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page