post #21 of 27 Old 08-31-2018, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
I noticed on some older and some other newer snowblowers here and there skids that don't mount to the sides. They mount on the back of the bucket. I would think skids on the rear would keep the sides AND the scraper as cutting edges and the skids wouldn't have anything to ride up on since they would never hit an area that didn't have snow removed already.
I thought the rear mounted skids on the Honda would work well, but people still put the side mounted skids on them. So the rear mounted skids must have some failing points. Anyone with answers?

The sidewalks near me are level but damaged with holes from missing concrete, especially at the curb. My Ariens short plastic skids allow the scraper to make forceful contact and pretty much stop the machine. Would mounting the skids behind the bucket or changing to the long Armour skids help the "drop in" problem?

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Every situation is different. Mounting them on the side might make it more likely you'd straddle the holes or instead of the scraper dropping in it might be the skid dropping in. In my mind mounting them on the side would be a better option as I would think you'd be more likely to be able to drop in a little with a side skid but continue moving and climb out due to the ramp of a skid compared to hitting the hole with the scraper and jolting to a stop. Kind of depends on the depth of the pothole and how well built (rigid) your machine. The reason I mention how rigid the machine is that a more rigid machine will likely hold up one corner like an unsupported skid better and help it over a gap/hole rather than let it drop and further amplify the problem.

If you're sidewalks are chewed as you say you might want to try the bigger skids to see if it helps keep you from dropping in so to speak.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 27 Old 09-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 96
Thanks Kiss4aFrog, our sidewalks are fine but they have a separate kerb that drops for driveway access and parts of the kerb are missing. I have a lot of kerbing to deal with so I run my machine parallel to the kerb and sidewalk probably about 300 ft or a bit less. The situation deteriorates every year but not enough for the city to fix.

It appears the short length of the Ariens plastic skid drops into the hole at the kerb that then allows the scraper to grab the hole and the small skid ramp is below the top of the hole so there is a jarring stoppage or jump out. I thought the rear mounted Honda skids would help but it seems not. So I am thinking of the Armour skids mounted as far back as possible to minimise their potential for turning the machine and riding up on snow while tripling the length (compared to Ariens plastic skids) to prevent the drop ins.

I am hoping the Armourskids are as kind to paving stone driveways as the plastic skids.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #24 of 27 Old 10-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 8
Dropping my 2 cents in on these skids: I got a pair for my model 10000 724. My experience is that they do tend to ride up on any snow under them. I have the thin part of the skid facing forward, but often find myself picking the handlebars up to try and get it to dig in to clean the last bit off the pavement. The stock Ariens skids were too short and did a lot of digging in on my old, uneven sidewalk. These new ones don't dig in, but I'm having a hard time getting a clean blow down to the sidewalk.
post #25 of 27 Old 10-08-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 298
Likes (Received): 133
I ended up with adding weight to the front of my blower and it did help a lot. much better than the factory Toro ones, huge improvement on grass walk ways. But I do not know what would be perfect.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #26 of 27 Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 298
Likes (Received): 133
I have just looked my blower over and skids and after 3 full seasons there is very sign of wear, I am happy with them. They may not be perfect for everyone but work well for me.

Hanky

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #27 of 27 Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
I welded long flat steel with an upward turn to the skid shoe bottoms to take care of the lifted edges of the sidewalks.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page