LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 824 38080

Just picked up a free toro 824 38080 snow blower.

Pros
Runs strong, auger is strong.

Cons
Does not really move in forward or reverse. The gear selector handle has been broke and a sleeve put over it and clamped on. It also does not stay in gear (sloppy)
The previous owner just replaced the friction wheel.

I popped the bottom cover off there is no tension spring, and it seems like the friction plate is to far from the friction wheel.

The bearing at the top of the friction plate shaft is split.
Will this cause the shaft to move in and out?

Also how do i determine what year snow blower i have for parts?

Thanks in advance - Willis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks!

Looks to be a 1984
post #4 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have the bottom cover off of the machine. From the below diagram spring #13 is gone so I will be ordering that.

The other thing I found is that the part 62 pulley/shaft sits to low and doesn't allow for contact from the tension wheel when engaged in a drive gear.

Part number 32 is missing a section out of the side so i am going to order that. Will that being broke/wore out allow slop in the shaft enough to prevent it from making contact?
Do i have to do a complete disassembly of the machine to change this bearing? I am new to snowblowers so wondering if this is a novice job or not.

using the partstree diagram for a toro 824 38080 serial number in the 4's 1984 (wouldn't let me post the link)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
I have the bottom cover off of the machine. From the below diagram spring #13 is gone so I will be ordering that.

The other thing I found is that the part 62 pulley/shaft sits to low and doesn't allow for contact from the tension wheel when engaged in a drive gear.

Part number 32 is missing a section out of the side so i am going to order that. Will that being broke/wore out allow slop in the shaft enough to prevent it from making contact?
Do i have to do a complete disassembly of the machine to change this bearing? I am new to snowblowers so wondering if this is a novice job or not.

using the partstree diagram for a toro 824 38080 serial number in the 4's 1984 (wouldn't let me post the link)
yeah you will be camped out on it for awhile. you are going to have to split the machine in 2. take the motor off and then you can go to town on it. pretty much takes up a weekend.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 239
Thanks (Received): 283
Likes (Given): 2872
Likes (Received): 529
Here is a link to the Toro two stage service manual to help.

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/2stagdrv.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-21-2016, 03:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Elusive - I have a 1990 Toro 824 38080. My traction system was a mess 1-2 seasons ago and basically had the pulley shaft split in 2 pieces (#62), bearings destroyed etc... It was a st*t show of grease & metal shavings under my machine. I managed to rebuild the whole thing without tackling anything like this before (little know-how). Took a while, but the drive system now works better than ever. Didn't need to pull the motor but did split the snowblower in 2 (Auger / Frame)

What you describe above, the plates not making contact, was actually a simple fix for me. Parts diagram Nut #61 (I think), I had cranked down too hard and my friction plates were not contacting. So I started backing this nut out. As I did, the plates moved closer together, eventually making solid contact. Try adjusting this nut out & see what happens. You may need spring #13 installed though.
I had to replace part #32 also. It's just a bearing and made no difference in the friction plate making contact. I would replace it though.

The job was frustrating at times, like a puzzle, but I took a lot of pictures before and during. In the end I got it complete and working. Felt really good. Also, Might as well change the belts while you're in there.

Last edited by ts8169; 12-21-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page