LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Toro Snowmaster and DIY Light

I am a recently converted and new Toro owner. Got my Snowmaster 824 QXE delivered last month, and I just got to use it for the first time last night in extremely heavy, wet, slushy "snow". Worked like a charm. If it does half as well in normal snow of any kind, this will turn out to be a much better investment than the 2-stager I just got rid of.

One of the downsides to the Snowmaster is that it has no light. Neither the 724 nor the 824 comes with a built in generator for any accessories. Therefore, I resorted to creativity. For less than $25, I got a mountain bike-sytle LED headlight with an external, rechargeable Li-ion battery. Sorry, I can't attach pictures yet but I'll try to remember that when it's enabled for me. You can search "Augymer AUM721 LED Light" on Google Shopping or Amazon and find the light, I'm sure.

This is nearly as bright as the built in headlight on my old Ariens 2 stage. It's pretty small, and the mounting is a little lower than I'd like, so the chute does block the beam a little bit. I also swapped out the lens for a MagicShine wide angle lens that diffuses the light really well. The whole thing works so well, I regret even letting this be an issue when I was shopping. Short story: Don't avoid the Toro Snowmaster because it doesn't have a light!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2016, 03:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1146
MAZEL TOV on that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Cool Same issue with Toro Powermax 826 OE - no lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman View Post
I am a recently converted and new Toro owner. Got my Snowmaster 824 QXE delivered last month...
One of the downsides to the Snowmaster is that it has no light. Neither the 724 nor the 824 comes with a built in generator for any accessories. Therefore, I resorted to creativity. For less than $25, I got a mountain bike-sytle LED headlight with an external, rechargeable Li-ion battery. Sorry, I can't attach pictures yet but I'll try to remember that when it's enabled for me. You can search "Augymer AUM721 LED Light" on Google Shopping or Amazon and find the light, I'm sure.

I have a Toro Powermax 826 OE with the same problem - no stator - no lights. I bought a similar type Cree T6 XM-L headlamp like yours BUT from EBay - but mine has 11 LED with a much higher Lumen for circa $20.

I used the large rubber O ring with mine to attach on the LEFT side of the middle (bottom) handle bar (for the short distance). Are you doing the same by attaching with the O ring ?
In addition, I purchased a Cree T6 XM-L torch zoom flashlight to attach on the right side (zoom for the LONG distance) - metal bar blocking - waiting for delivery now.

I posted this discussion on this forum last week. Posted pictures and others are also showing what they did. Can't wait to see your pictures.
link:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-o-stator.html

BrooklynDaddy

2013 Toro Powermax 826 - 250 cc (mod: 37772)
2012 Sears Craftsman 22" -179 cc (247.88779)
2003 Sears Craftsman 24" - 5.5 HP (536.887251)
post #4 of 8 Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDaddy View Post
I have a Toro Powermax 826 OE with the same problem - no stator - no lights. I bought a similar type Cree T6 XM-L headlamp like yours BUT from EBay - but mine has 11 LED with a much higher Lumen for circa $20.

I used the large rubber O ring with mine to attach on the LEFT side of the middle (bottom) handle bar (for the short distance). Are you doing the same by attaching with the O ring ?
In addition, I purchased a Cree T6 XM-L torch zoom flashlight to attach on the right side (zoom for the LONG distance) - metal bar blocking - waiting for delivery now.

I posted this discussion on this forum last week. Posted pictures and others are also showing what they did. Can't wait to see your pictures.
Great pictures, and very good idea with the bar mount. I didn't think to do that mount, but I do have it attached to the middle bar with the O ring as far to the side as possible. I may get the bar mount later if I get frustrated with the beam being blocked by the chute.

I noticed these T6 LED lights come with all kinds of diode configurations and lumen powers. Lots of knockoffs for cheap prices, too. My goal was to get enough light to help, but more importantly, a battery that would last. Since mine is not the brightest light, I'm hoping I will get lots of use between charges with the 10,000 mAh battery. The Amazon seller advertises it as 8 hours use on high beam, but I'm skeptical. Hey, if I can get half of that at this price, that's great.

Gone are days when the built in headlight is a deal killer. I really think when the market figures out how great the Snowmaster is, other manufacturers will follow suit. I wouldn't be surprised if Ariens, MTD, and others already have some self-propelled "super single stage" in development. Count me in as a Toro fan!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 18
Good job there, Just got a Snowmaster 724 QXE also back in October for my mother's place, haven't even fired it yet because I want to put in a fuel shut off this weekend but was impressed by the Youtube videos. I like how maneuverable it is with the ratcheting axle clutches and compact too.

Also I downloaded the parts manual from the Toro site which contains the parts breakdown for the engine also in case anyone is interested.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2016, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blosumsno View Post
Good job there, Just got a Snowmaster 724 QXE also back in October for my mother's place, haven't even fired it yet because I want to put in a fuel shut off this weekend but was impressed by the Youtube videos. I like how maneuverable it is with the ratcheting axle clutches and compact too.

Also I downloaded the parts manual from the Toro site which contains the parts breakdown for the engine also in case anyone is interested.
How would you put in a fuel shut off?

I ask because this would interest me greatly when I get the QXE.

Thanks,
-Nigel
post #7 of 8 Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Using a mountain bike lighting system is a great idea. I used to ride mountain bikes on trails after hours on a regular basis so I have 3 different lighting systems. You need a lot of light to ride fast trails in the dark. My favorite all-around light is the Niterider Lumina series. I have the 750 lumen unit that can be had for $70-$75. It's a light/ battery/ mount all in 1 single unit. Tons of power and easy to swap between all my power equipment (and bikes). I've seen the Amazon systems (MagicShine?...) crap out for no reason and the wiring between battery/light are pretty cheap. If you really want to drop some coin ($300-$500), you can get bike systems into the 1000's of lumens. Still probably cheaper than adding an alternator + OEM light system to your blower...
post #8 of 8 Old 12-23-2016, 03:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 3
I am thinking on installing this:

Has a battery pack but honestly for the price it seems like a no brainer to add a light that is bright.

My neighborhood is very well lit, and I have lights on in the front of the house but I guess for those side walk type runs this would be useful.

-Nigel

~NSG~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page