post #1 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
HiQ

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Question 1977 Toro 826 (31763) Help!

Hey Everyone! Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm brand new here. I just received an old 1977 Toro 826 from someone that said it ran before, but the last time it ran (4 years ago?) there was some black stuff coming out. It was free though so I'd like to try and get it running again with hopefully not too much cash invested.

I pulled the tank and drained the old gas. It had a tiny bit of rust so I'm letting some vinegar sit in it for now and hopefully that'll clean it up.

Plug looks good, but I'll grab a new one for it next time I'm in town.

I opened the oil filler and the oil actually looks really good. Doesn't mean I won't change it, but I'm completely lost with what I have here.

Does anyone have a manual or anything for this bad boy? I know it's 2 stage and thus 4 stroke? 8HP. 26". That's about it. Or if anyone has some info on what kind of maintenance I should be looking at doing to get it up and running. Also any advice on what the black stuff leaking out could have been? Engine oil? Anywhere to look first or just try and get the maintenance done and fire it up and look for the ooze?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
HiQ

Post Thanks / Like
Oh also... Can I run Rotella T6 in this thing? I try to use it for most of my engines, but I just want to make sure. I don't see a dip stick either. Do I just fill it till till its almost coming out the neck of the small filler hole?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2895
Likes (Received): 537
Hello and welcome to SBF HiQ. Here are a few links to help you get the Toro back in running shape.

Toro two stage manual, not showing your model, but most of the models are similar to yours.
http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/2stagdrv.pdf

Briggs & Stratton engine service manual
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/B%26S%20Service%20Manuals/01_270962SingleCylinderLHead.pdf

(Page number 8 shows the oil capacity for each model engine number)

Toro 31763 parts list
http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/snow-blowers-snow-throwers/31763-826-toro-826-snowthrower-sn-7000001-7999999-1977/

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 12-06-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks HiQ thanked for this post
Likes colin.p liked this post
post #4 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 366
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
welcome to the forum HiQ ! i would also suggest spending some time on youtube watching some of donyboy's vids before you get into it to deep.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks HiQ thanked for this post
Likes colin.p liked this post
post #5 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
HiQ

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. That'll give me a start anyways. I'm really hoping I can just do fluids and I'll be away to the races. It never works out that way though
post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Post some pics of this black stuff you speak of. use 80/90 w non syn gear oil or white lithium grease in the gear box. think about new belts also. any other questions feel free to pm me, anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
HiQ

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Post some pics of this black stuff you speak of. use 80/90 w non syn gear oil or white lithium grease in the gear box. think about new belts also. any other questions feel free to pm me, anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.
Thanks man. I'll have to try and get some pics if I see it leaking at all. I don't see anything tell tale, but it is covered in a nice layer of dirt/oil/etc already. Need to give this thing a clean.

I did a quick engine oil change and the gas tank is cleaned and has some fuel in it. Have some fuel leaking near the fuel filter (maybe just old line issues) so I'll try cutting a little off and maybe it'll be tighter or I can replace it all. The carb bowl looked clean as a whistle.

Edited...

Last edited by HiQ; 12-06-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Wrong
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
HiQ

Post Thanks / Like
The plot thickens. She fired up. Needs choke or she backfires out the exhaust badly. I assume it's way lean? I guess I could adjust the fuel mixture screw, but I'm gonna take another look at the carb first. I assume it must be partially blocked or something.

Next issue is the auger spins a bit even with it disengaged. So is that a belt tightness issue or is there a clutch that needs to be adjusted?

Finally when I do engage the auger, it doesn't seem to spin any more than with it disengaged. Might all be cured by fixing the above issue?

Thanks again guys. We're getting there!

Last edited by HiQ; 12-06-2016 at 10:50 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
HiQ

Post Thanks / Like
I'm dumb. Never had a snowblower with individual wheel clutches. Apparently those have to be pushed in for it to move. Duh. Wow I feel dumb. Still only goes forward in 2 and 3. 1 doesn't really do anything. I'm guessing that's something that just needs to be adjusted?

Ran it with some choke and it cleared a little snow. Didn't want to push it as I assume it's lean so I pulled the carb again. Gonna check out that engine manual that was linked above and give it a quick clean.

Last edited by HiQ; 12-06-2016 at 10:52 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
You are going to have to adjust the auger engagement lever. but like I said get new belts first.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page