LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Toro 38751 Help

Hello. I have a question regarding the Toro 38751 with honda engine.

First off what is the model # for the honda engine? I am having issues with a gummed up carb and cannot find a replacement carb. It is surging under load.

I have tried cleaning it in an ultrasonic cleaner, carb cleaner, and running wire through all of the small holes in the body and main jet. Everything looks fine and it still does it. Only way to get it to run fine is about an 1/8th choke.

Ideas? Or am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help.

Ford ST726
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
If it only wants to run with the choke that means something is leaning it out to much - more than likely it's sucking in a bit of extra air somewhere. Since you cleaned it thoroughly. I assume you used new gaskets too? you might spray a bit of carb cleaner around the flange area while it's running to see if it's truly sealed there (not warped or leaking). Look to see if there is excessive play on the throttle arm/choke plate - another area for them to have leakage...... (sometimes a felt pad there which needs a little lube.)

See carb kit - $60 https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro...assembly-no-1/

Not sure if this is same carb or not? Might have changed numbering system? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toro-127-914...wAAOSwMgdXzGyT

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bad69cat; 12-13-2016 at 11:42 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
If it only wants to run with the choke that means something is leaning it out to much - more than likely it's sucking in a bit of extra air somewhere. Since you cleaned it thoroughly. I assume you used new gaskets too? you might spray a bit of carb cleaner around the flange area while it's running to see if it's truly sealed there (not warped or leaking). Look to see if there is excessive play on the throttle arm/choke plate - another area for them to have leakage...... (sometimes a felt pad there which needs a little lube.)

See carb kit - $60 https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro...assembly-no-1/
Gaskets were the originals. They seemed to be on fine shape. I did spray carb cleaner around everything and it did not change run speed.

Ford ST726
post #4 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Hmmm - I might pull it apart one more time and run a wire through every orifice again...... once in awhile there is something that get in the carb after you went to all the trouble...... dirt from line or tank perhaps. Be sure the float and needle are not sticking...... and level set again.

post #5 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
Hmmm - I might pull it apart one more time and run a wire through every orifice again...... once in awhile there is something that get in the carb after you went to all the trouble...... dirt from line or tank perhaps. Be sure the float and needle are not sticking...... and level set again.
Ok. I've been through it twice. Maybe third time is a charm?

How do you adjust the float? It has the spring on it and i thought they were not adjustiable?

Lastly. There is a brass screw on the side of the carb that I cannot turn as it must take a special screw driver. What is it?

Ford ST726
post #6 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTHEMAX View Post
Ok. I've been through it twice. Maybe third time is a charm?

How do you adjust the float? It has the spring on it and i thought they were not adjustiable?

Lastly. There is a brass screw on the side of the carb that I cannot turn as it must take a special screw driver. What is it?
That is probably the mixture adjustment screw. Often you can find screwdrivers on EBay that will fit your particular screw. You can also find adjustment procedures on YouTube. Not all that difficult.

The dirt is probably in the screw opening which you probably can't get out without removing the mixture screw. Or, when you take it apart again, pay particular attention to spraying that area with the carb cleaner. Or, try slowly spraying some cleaner in the car while it is running. You will need to stop spraying just before it starts to stall.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok. I can't seem to find the correct screwdriver. This is a brass screw that is threaded. I have a bunch of the "special" carb screw drivers and I have never seen this style
post #8 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Can you shoot a photo ?
post #9 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok. Went through the carb one more time. All ports are clear and flowing. I was spraying carb cleaner while running and got no response in rpms. I did give it a few healthy doses down the intake and almost stalled it out each time. After it cleared up I engaged the auger and ran it. It ran just fine, no surging.

If you let it sit running for a bit and engage the auger it will surge a little. I sprayed more cleaner in the intake and let it clear. It ran fine. Then after a while it started surging when you engaged the auger.

Thoughts?
post #10 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Can you manually smooth it out by holding the governor linkage steady? You might looks at adjusting the governor:

BTW all carb adjustment should be done at full operating temp.

OH. and BTW, the spring on the float bowl is only to keep the float from bouncing to much. The float should seat the needle and be pretty much level in relation to bowl flange.

Last edited by bad69cat; 12-13-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page