LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro -Sounds its running out of gas

Hello- I am new to the forum. I have a 3 year old Power Clear 621 ZE. When the machine isn't engaged and throwing snow, it sounds like its about to stall. Its the kind of sound that happens when a machine is running out of gas. When the paddle is engaged and plowing it doesn't seem to make that struggling sound. I started with a fresh full tank of gas. My gas is fresh with sabil in it (in the event we didn't get snow) and I have plenty of oil. My only thought is could I possibly put in too much stabil? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Try adding a bit of choke to the engine while it's not working, just running, and see if that makes a difference. If it runs better with a bit of choke, then your mixture might be too lean, indicating a plugged up carb. If it runs worse with a bit of choke, then the mixture might be too rich.

Was it left with old gas in it over the summer? How much stabil did you put in? Don't use more than the instructions dictate.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 12-17-2016 at 02:11 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2016, 02:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Try adding a bit of choke to the engine while it's not working, just running, and see if that makes a difference. If it runs better with a bit of choke, then your mixture might be too lean, indicating a plugged up carb. If it runs worse with a bit of choke, then the mixture might be too rich.

Was it left with old gas in it over the summer? How much stabil did you put in? Don't use more than the instructions dictate.
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
If you used gas with ethanol, that's probably why (ethanol gas ends up plugging up your carburetor with varnish). I only use ethanol-free premium gas sold by Shell and shut the fuel off to the snowblower at the end of every snow blowing "session", letting it burn all the fuel in the line and turn itself off to prevent gas remaining in the carb. Premium gas can sit for a year or longer in my experience, so no real need for fuel stabilizer either. I just use a 10L can for the winter and there's usually half of it left by spring, at which point I just dump the rest of it in my truck's fuel tank (and store the snow blower with an empty tank).

At this point, you may want to try a spray carb cleaner that's designed for small engines. I recently bought one (just in case) at my local hardware store for $5. Instructions say to spray it in the air inlet on the carb while the machine is running in order to clean the carb somewhat. I didn't have to do that yet and so I don't know how well it works, as mine runs just fine (despite being a 1977 model, but the previous owner only ran ethanol-free in it and stored it dry as well).

Last edited by 762mm; 12-20-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page