LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Snowmaster 724 QXE Lumpy Idle

Good Morning. I purchase a Toro Snowmaster 724 QXE about a year ago. The first time I used it, roughly 7 inches of wet snow, it performed perfectly. Ever since then it has had an idle issue. When starting it I put it on full choke and it fires right up. When it warms up a bit I generally slide the choke to the off position but then it starts this lumpy idle like it is going to cut out. If I place the choke in the middle position it seems to level out but then gets lumpy again after a while. This leads to me constantly fiddling with the choke to keep it running smoothly. I've only used it roughly five times because of our light winter last year and I find it hard to believe something has gone wrong that quickly. I haven't even hit the two hours of usage where the oil should be changed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 16
My brand new 824 QXE doesn't idle flat either. It surges / pulses just like this one does in Paul's review - 45 seconds in.

Is that what you mean?

Does anyone know if that's normal? At first I was concerned but given that mine sounds the same as the one in Paul's review I'm thinking it's normal?

Last edited by matto; 12-21-2016 at 12:38 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Hey Matto, thanks for the reply. Mine is way lumpier, I will try to get some video to post later today.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Sounds like gas was left in carb all summer long and the jets need to be cleaned out

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #5 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
My 724QXE does the same thing that Paul's does in the video. If I let it warm up for a minute or so before moving the choke, that goes away. It has always done that for me...
post #6 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 24
I have the 824, but I haven't noticed if it does that or not. I've seen that video dozens of times, and to be honest, I would never have even noticed it until you pointed it out. I'm no expert, but I have a feeling it's normal, and there isn't anything wrong with it. Kind'a sounds like a Harley idling....lol

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 248
Likes (Received): 290
Snowmasters dont idle per ce, they run at rated speed all the time.

When there's no load on the engine it can have the tendency to surge up and down as the governor does its thing.

If it surges while under a load then there's a problem.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #8 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 16
Mine was completely fine under load. Just surging up and down when idling. Sounds like it's fine.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-21-2016, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
I'm guessing it's fine, but it probably depends upon how severe it is, whether it continues with a fully warmed-up engine, and whether it cuts out under load. I've got the 824, and it does idle a bit rough on initial start up with full choke. I need to let it warm up for 30 seconds or a minute, and sometimes take the choke off a little gradually. Sounds like that's consistent with others' experiences. Once warmed up, mine runs smoothly and has never surged or cut out under load.

A little off topic: the 824, i.e., 252cc, choke lever has detents only at full choke and no choke. Mine doesn't have a detent at any partial choke position. Is this the case with the 724 engine's (212cc) choke lever as well?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
This is true for the 724 (212cc) as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman View Post
I'm guessing it's fine, but it probably depends upon how severe it is, whether it continues with a fully warmed-up engine, and whether it cuts out under load. I've got the 824, and it does idle a bit rough on initial start up with full choke. I need to let it warm up for 30 seconds or a minute, and sometimes take the choke off a little gradually. Sounds like that's consistent with others' experiences. Once warmed up, mine runs smoothly and has never surged or cut out under load.

A little off topic: the 824, i.e., 252cc, choke lever has detents only at full choke and no choke. Mine doesn't have a detent at any partial choke position. Is this the case with the 724 engine's (212cc) choke lever as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page