post #1 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
Cool My Toro 928 HD Review

I bought a new Toro 928 OHXE HD. It is kept in the garage. Used one time a while ago on 3-6 inches of powder. Performed well.

Went up to our place in the mountains at 9200ft. in elev.
I had 6 inches of powder drifted in some places to a foot. It was 0 degrees , started right up with 3 primer pumps and pull started with the rope .

It did the job but the motor worked hard. If I took full width passes in the deep stuff it seemed to work it harder than I liked by the sound of it. Big difference if I took half width passes.

The altitude degrading the horse power was a concern of mine. I almost went with an Ariens due to available bigger motors.

It got the job done and it beat shoveling for sure.

The next test will be the spring wet snow. I will update when possible.

I would like some input on the load on a blower engine. I figure run it like my mower, if the grass is tall take narrower passes so it doesn't work the motor so hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 367
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
i prefer to keep my blowers on the governor at all times, but not below 3000rpm by fine tuned ear tach !

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Likes Hanky liked this post
post #3 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 314
Likes (Received): 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
i prefer to keep my blowers on the governor at all times, but not below 3000rpm by fine tuned ear tach !
If it bogs down try 1 gear speed slower although you do have 9,000 ft of elev. I run wide open in all my blowers I had .

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #4 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
I bought a new Toro 928 OHXE HD. It is kept in the garage. Used one time a while ago on 3-6 inches of powder. Performed well.

Went up to our place in the mountains at 9200ft. in elev.
I had 6 inches of powder drifted in some places to a foot. It was 0 degrees , started right up with 3 primer pumps and pull started with the rope .

It did the job but the motor worked hard. If I took full width passes in the deep stuff it seemed to work it harder than I liked by the sound of it. Big difference if I took half width passes.

The altitude degrading the horse power was a concern of mine. I almost went with an Ariens due to available bigger motors.

It got the job done and it beat shoveling for sure.

The next test will be the spring wet snow. I will update when possible.

I would like some input on the load on a blower engine. I figure run it like my mower, if the grass is tall take narrower passes so it doesn't work the motor so hard.
That's got the 265cc engine, correct? Assuming it's running smoothly and no carburetor issues, do you suspect that the stress and hard work of the engine is only because of the altitude? Just wondering how hard the motor would have had to work in the same type and depth of snow but at low altitude. 265cc isn't a huge engine, but seems like it should be enough for a 28 inch wide bucket?
post #5 of 35 Old 12-21-2016, 08:42 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Those Loncin engines can and do benefit from some bigger jetting as do all new blower engines thanks to the EPA. You can hog them out yourself or search for a day or 2 to find replacement jet specs. Try contacting Toro and see if they have a "high altitude kit." It will simply be a jet with a bigger hole to let it get more fuel. I agree with nwcove though, the best engines break in and run better when taxed a bit.
post #6 of 35 Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
I'm confused. I thought the governor limited the max RPM the engine is allowed to turn at. If a small engine is running at wide open throttle with no load, the governor would keep/stop it at max RPM. Put a load on it, decrease RPM's and the governor is not being used.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE

Last edited by mrfixit; 12-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
If it bogs down try 1 gear speed slower although you do have 9,000 ft of elev. I run wide open in all my blowers I had .
I ran it with the throttle wide open in the lowest gear. I believe the issue is the elevation form past experience.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
post #8 of 35 Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman View Post
That's got the 265cc engine, correct? Assuming it's running smoothly and no carburetor issues, do you suspect that the stress and hard work of the engine is only because of the altitude? Just wondering how hard the motor would have had to work in the same type and depth of snow but at low altitude. 265cc isn't a huge engine, but seems like it should be enough for a 28 inch wide bucket?
It runs great. Yes, I believe it is due to the altitude. Power loss for altitude is 3% per thousand feet = 27%. I think this makes the motor 199cc.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
post #9 of 35 Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Those Loncin engines can and do benefit from some bigger jetting as do all new blower engines thanks to the EPA. You can hog them out yourself or search for a day or 2 to find replacement jet specs. Try contacting Toro and see if they have a "high altitude kit." It will simply be a jet with a bigger hole to let it get more fuel. I agree with nwcove though, the best engines break in and run better when taxed a bit.
I believe you are thinking wrong. You go with smaller jets as your altitude rises due to the lack of oxygen. You are correcting a rich fuel mixture.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
post #10 of 35 Old 12-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
I believe you are thinking wrong. You go with smaller jets as your altitude rises due to the lack of oxygen. You are correcting a rich fuel mixture.
You are absolutely correct. You would think I would not type the opposite answer to a question Hard to believe I have ever used the term "hog them out" too. You may have helped me quite a bit Mrfixit, thought I had this sorted out.
Likes Charles liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page