My wife and I bought a house earlier in the year, my first driveway of my own, so did some research and bought a used Honda HS621. I had a good time cleaning her up, getting replacing the paddles and scraper, and getting her ready for the snow. I always knew I would likely want/need a 2-stage for heavier falls or EOD buildup. Garage space is always at a premium, so I wanted something small. I got a little bit of a bug for older, well built machines. I decided on a Toro 3521/421/521, with the hope to possibly repower if needed. With the help of this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-4-5-21-a.html
I started watching Craigslist for a decent machine.
One came up a couple weeks ago and I picked it up for $75. Had a recoil starter issue. The previous owner said that it was running well just a day or two before, but we had a super cold day and he pulled the recoil and it broke. He tried fiddling with it a little, but he got too cold and gave up. He said he bought a new blower (said that the newer ~24" model is built much lighter than the 521). The 521 came with a plastic bag that had a few metal brackets, the fuel tank, recoil starter and bolts. I was actually a little worried that I was in over my head if the issue was much more than the recoil starter. I hoped for the best and restrung the recoil, and mounted everything back on (it ended up being pretty easy to see where the brackets and bolts went through the edges of the layers of dirt). Serial number puts her as a 1990 model.
Here she is as I brought her home:
I put on the restrung recoil, pumped the primer, made sure the choke was set and the ignition was on. Started on the second pull. After that, I spent some more time going through the rest of the blower. I was pretty pleasantly surprised that the augers were very loose on their shafts, the friction drive had plenty of rubber and looked clean. Even the wheels were loose on the axles. I was also impressed at the tight clearance between the impeller and the side walls. I'll probably wait until next year to do an impeller kit, but It looked like it it was between 1/8"-3/16" gap. I don't know if that's that
good, but from some of the youtube videos I've watched, some blowers have a much larger gap. I got some 85W140 gear oil and filled up the auger gear box. There wasn't much movement when in reverse, so I tightened the left linkage slightly and it seemed to help. I pulled off one skid to trace out for a DIY poly skid.
I plan to put the skids on and run it this season, and maybe do some rust repair over the summer (very minor). Thanks for all the help so far!!