post #1 of 24 Old 12-27-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
My Toro 521

My wife and I bought a house earlier in the year, my first driveway of my own, so did some research and bought a used Honda HS621. I had a good time cleaning her up, getting replacing the paddles and scraper, and getting her ready for the snow. I always knew I would likely want/need a 2-stage for heavier falls or EOD buildup. Garage space is always at a premium, so I wanted something small. I got a little bit of a bug for older, well built machines. I decided on a Toro 3521/421/521, with the hope to possibly repower if needed. With the help of this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-4-5-21-a.html I started watching Craigslist for a decent machine.

One came up a couple weeks ago and I picked it up for $75. Had a recoil starter issue. The previous owner said that it was running well just a day or two before, but we had a super cold day and he pulled the recoil and it broke. He tried fiddling with it a little, but he got too cold and gave up. He said he bought a new blower (said that the newer ~24" model is built much lighter than the 521). The 521 came with a plastic bag that had a few metal brackets, the fuel tank, recoil starter and bolts. I was actually a little worried that I was in over my head if the issue was much more than the recoil starter. I hoped for the best and restrung the recoil, and mounted everything back on (it ended up being pretty easy to see where the brackets and bolts went through the edges of the layers of dirt). Serial number puts her as a 1990 model.

Here she is as I brought her home:

I put on the restrung recoil, pumped the primer, made sure the choke was set and the ignition was on. Started on the second pull. After that, I spent some more time going through the rest of the blower. I was pretty pleasantly surprised that the augers were very loose on their shafts, the friction drive had plenty of rubber and looked clean. Even the wheels were loose on the axles. I was also impressed at the tight clearance between the impeller and the side walls. I'll probably wait until next year to do an impeller kit, but It looked like it it was between 1/8"-3/16" gap. I don't know if that's that good, but from some of the youtube videos I've watched, some blowers have a much larger gap. I got some 85W140 gear oil and filled up the auger gear box. There wasn't much movement when in reverse, so I tightened the left linkage slightly and it seemed to help. I pulled off one skid to trace out for a DIY poly skid.

I plan to put the skids on and run it this season, and maybe do some rust repair over the summer (very minor). Thanks for all the help so far!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161227_210346.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	94674  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dameatman, detdrbuzzard liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-27-2016, 11:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
MAZEL TOV on that 1 there.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 18
Good job on finding that one for the price and getting it going, I had a 3521 (identical to yours but 3.5hp) bought new In the early 1990's, had it for maybe 15 years or so and never a problem. Got us through 30" snow from the "blizzard of '96"' had to tunnel under, back out, collapse the tunnel with shovel and repeat all on a 100ft driveway 2 cars wide not including the 75 feet from the shed to the driveway. Took a looong time but the Toro powered through it.

2003 Snapper I55224 - 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV OHSK55 (195cc)
2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc, 2017/18 Toro PowerMax 724OE - Loncin 212cc
post #4 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i wouldnt even bother doing an impeller kit on a 3521-521. those things throw great without any mods at all, the two i had i didnt even bother doing the impeller mods on because they threw the snow so well
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Mike C. liked this post
post #5 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
congrats Edward, I knew you would bring one home. my HRT 521 has an impeller kit on it, I wanted a kit on it for wet snow that most snowblowers don't throw far. for most snow the pneumatic wheeled 521 does a great job for me. try yours before doing an impeller kit or buy the kit and put it aside then make the decision

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post

I got some 85W140 gear oil and filled up the auger gear box.

I would keep a very close eye on that auger gearbox.These machines don't use gear oil,they use grease-specifically Lubriplate Mag-1.You may get away with it if your case seals are in excellent condition,but now that you have potentially thinned the grease with oil,it may leak out from around the seals.Those gears are very expensive.The owner's manual is available from Toro for free.

Edit:Also forgot to mention,not all gear oils are " yellow-metal" compatable.One of the gears in that box is bronze,the wrong gear oil will eventually eat it.I know,I'm just full of good news.

Last edited by Mike C.; 12-28-2016 at 12:38 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
I would keep a very close eye on that auger gearbox.These machines don't use gear oil,they use grease-specifically Lubriplate Mag-1.You may get away with it if your case seals are in excellent condition,but now that you have potentially thinned the grease with oil,it may leak out from around the seals.Those gears are very expensive.The owner's manual is available from Toro for free.
Thanks everyone!!

Mike, I had definitely considered that. I did download the manual and saw that it wanted the Lubriplate grease. I did some searching on the forums and saw some users using gear oil or 00 grease (both appear much easier to obtain than Mag-1). I did make sure to get something that was specifically safe for yellow metals. I'll keep an eye on it for now, but I'm already thinking about swapping it out for some Mag-1 or some other NLGI #1 grease.

You're right on those gears though, I did a quick look on ebay, pricey!
post #8 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
I've used a synthetic NLGI 1 ep grease in my 521 after I took the box apart for a look-see a few years ago.The Mag-1 might have been king of the hill back in the day,but the new synthetics can outperform it,I'm sure.

I can't remember the specifics,but I got it at the local auto parts store for 5 or 6 bucks a tube.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
boy that looked salty when you first got it. glad it runs good for you

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #10 of 24 Old 12-29-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I am surprised at how well the salt cleaned off, just a quick wipe. I assume the PO put it away fairly clean, so it's just a thin salt layer from the 2 snowfalls this year.

I'm debating whether I should get a new muffler. It's pretty rusty looking on top and I'm wondering if it's really muffling at all. It's not particularly loud right now, and it runs well enough. Is that something typically needs replacement?

I put together my first rendition of some poly skids. I had a whole sheet of the stuff, but I thought I'd try this out first. It's about 1" thick, which may raise the bucket too much, but worst case, I can cut off some thickness. I have two bolts countersunk about 5/8" into the bottom.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161229_183524.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	94762  

Last edited by EdwardC; 12-29-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page