LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
7/26 (Model 31760) (1972)

I have two of these. One has the tunnel type gearbox, which is shown in the parts manual Toro sent.

One has the split housing gearbox. I think this auger assembly is actually from 1974 (Model 31263-4027)

The Toro manual linked here mentions two types of lube: 90 wt gear oil and a grease.

Can anyone clarify whether these two styles of gearbox take the same lube, and what it should be?

Also, Toro doesn't mention the auger bolts as being shear pins. Are they supposed to be? What grade metal, if anybody knows?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 218
[QUOTE=amuller;1182761

Can anyone clarify whether these two styles of gearbox take the same lube, and what it should be?

Also, Toro doesn't mention the auger bolts as being shear pins. Are they supposed to be? What grade metal, if anybody knows?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As I understand, Toro recommends Grade 5 bolts - which Stainless Steel is - as their auger bolts. They claim they don't require sheer pins because the gear box is so strong, that it will stall the engine instead of sheering a bolt. Personally, I have never had that happen, and I am not 100% convinced that it will work that way !

I;m thinking of the PowerMax - I am not positive about your model. Sorry !

Last edited by RIT333; 02-08-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
I have two of these. One has the tunnel type gearbox, which is shown in the parts manual Toro sent.

One has the split housing gearbox. I think this auger assembly is actually from 1974 (Model 31263-4027)

The Toro manual linked here mentions two types of lube: 90 wt gear oil and a grease.

Thanks.
Use 80/90 non syn gear oil or white lithium grease. TORO does NOT use those BLOODY SHEER PINS. use grade 5 or stainless which is the same as a grade 5 bolt.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 16 Old 02-09-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Why do you say "non-synthetic" gear oil? I have some Mobile synthetic worm gear lube I'm inclined to use.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Why do you say "non-synthetic" gear oil? I have some Mobile synthetic worm gear lube I'm inclined to use.
The seals will NOT hold the syn stuff.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Machine is running!

Well, I got it running and am VERY impressed by how it throws snow. NOT impressed by the controls, which seem sort of goofy. No brake on the auger drive, and the traction control has a lot of slop in how it positions the rubber wheel. Go from reverse to forward and it doesn't always change direction immediately. And,of course, there's nothing to prevent the machine from taking off down the street if you let go of it. Wondering if some modernization of the controls might be worthwhile..... We have a blizzard warning for tomorrow so it will likely get some more exercise.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 01:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 9
Garage
Quote:
..... NOT impressed by the controls, which seem sort of goofy. ...... And,of course, there's nothing to prevent the machine from taking off down the street if you let go of it. ......
Lol, yes, the controls. I had the same impression when I got my Toro a month back, It's something to get used to compared to the engaging handles on each hand rest.

For the safety feature, not to have an engaged drive and auger when letting go of the handles, Usually, mine has this, there suppose to be a safety switch under the right hand side handle, if engaging either the drive or the auger when this switch is not engaged, the engine stalls. (pic below of a Toro with safety switch, not mine)

Good luck, I would have kept my Toro, but mainly because I don't like the controls, it's a seller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	100714  

"Itís not so much as to so little as to do with what everything is..."
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This model of Toro never had that sort of electrical safety interlock, but I have an old Ariens (not yet together) with that type of setup. there are several switches and relays to it.

I'm thinking it might be easier to put dead-man levers on the handles than gin up the electrical setup.

Then there are the wheel clutches. Not sure what I think of them but obviously one needs a free hand to operate them,which isn't compatible with holding down a lever handle on each side.....

So maybe this is a keeper, maybe not......

Alan
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 04:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Well, I got it running and am VERY impressed by how it throws snow. NOT impressed by the controls, which seem sort of goofy. No brake on the auger drive, and the traction control has a lot of slop in how it positions the rubber wheel. Go from reverse to forward and it doesn't always change direction immediately. And,of course, there's nothing to prevent the machine from taking off down the street if you let go of it. Wondering if some modernization of the controls might be worthwhile..... We have a blizzard warning for tomorrow so it will likely get some more exercise.
You better have a looksee under there to adjust the shifter. as for the auger that is the way they came from the little TORO factory. that is the way they all should be none of this mamby pamby safety stuff they have now days.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2896
Likes (Received): 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
that is the way they all should be none of this mamby pamby safety stuff they have now days.
Your not trying to drum up some business, are you Todd?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page