Treating a Power Shift transmission right - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Treating a Power Shift transmission right

I picked up a Power Shift 1028 as a project a few weeks ago. I finally had a chance to open up the transmission and found the shift collar had split in half and the shift yoke for forward/reverse had broken tabs that ride in the shift collar groove.

Beyond properly lubricating the transmission and not jamming it into gear are there any best practices to avoid another failure like this?

It looks like there's some black silicone in each of the tubes for the shift yokes? Is that from the factory or evidence of a previous service? I don't see any signs of rust or water ingress so it appears to have helped seal things up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Well first off it is not a transmission out of a Kenworth where there you could double clutch the chain drive till the cows come home. I suspect that some of the metal used in there is of the pot metal variety. and storing it outside under a trap is the best idea that ever fell off the turnip truck. I have had mine now for 23years and never had a problem with it. but then there have been many winters of late where I have no need to use them. those winters were cleaned with the leaf blower or the electric blower. as long as you don't beat on it like a red headed stepchild you should see a long life out of it. there was a guy here back in 2013 that was having problems with his trans. I offered to go through it for him, but he would had to ship it from mass to minn. but then that engine chucked a rod and he scrapped it out. I took some parts from it kinda now wished I had him throw that trans in just to have a looksee of what was happening in there. I doubt it was anything major probley the same issue you have with a couple of busted up pieces in there. also you will want to check the endplay for bearing slop. AS ALWAYS LET ME KNOW THE SCORE ON THAT 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm imagining me as Tom Cruise and you as Robert Duvall…

I definitely intend to treat it well and keep it garaged. My guess is things got sticky in the transmission and the previous owner tried to jam it into reverse one too many times. I haven't checked the end play yet but plan on breaking out the feeler gauge later today.

Any thoughts on the stuff in the holes for the shifter yokes? Looks like some sort of RTV but I can't find anything in the Toro documentation mentioning it. You can see some of the remnants of it on the picture above where it stuck to the yoke. My thought is to just clean it out and leave the holes open.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
post #4 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 383
spit-ballin' here regarding good practice ...would disengaging the traction (releasing the handlebar lever) before shifting benefit the tranny?

My old Allis Chalmers has warnings about shifting with the traction engaged.

Snowblowing sometimes does require alot of Forward/Reverse/Forward, etc. ...so having that discipline could be difficult at times.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 03-24-2017 at 04:07 PM.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
spit-ballin' here regarding good practice ...would disengaging the traction (releasing the handlebar lever) before shifting benefit the tranny?
There's an interlock so you have to do that before it will go into reverse.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansBaxter View Post
There's an interlock so you have to do that before it will go into reverse.
my apologies for not knowing more about the powershift! (I have yet to come across a free one )

Is there an interlock for changing speeds with traction engaged?

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #7 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No problem. I'm just learning all of this myself.

There isn't an interlock for changing speeds and that is specifically allowed per the owners manual. Due to the design of the transmission, all the speed reducer and output gears are engaged all the time. There's a selector tab that slides inside the collar of each output gear and can move even when under load.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quick update. Endplay is under 0.030 inches on the intermediate and output shafts so I don't need to add any thrust washers. The input bearing is a bit wobbly so I'm going to replace that while I'm in there. Output bearing is solid as a rock.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 588
Sounds like you will be the go to guy for Powershifts in the near future! Were you able to order the broken parts? The ones I've done just needed cleaning and greasing.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-24-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Treating a Power Shift transmission right

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Sounds like you will be the go to guy for Powershifts in the near future! Were you able to order the broken parts? The ones I've done just needed cleaning and greasing.

I was hoping for a simple clean and degrease. It was a bummer to find the broken parts. At least I know it will be in like-new condition when I rebuild it.

I ordered the parts and they should be here next week. I called my local shop first but they didn't seem interested in my business so I ordered online from Pat's Small Engine.

I guess I'm acquiring a somewhat rare skill.
Maybe I'll have to get some referrals from Jackmels since he's just a few towns over and he got me into this mess in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page