LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 108
Likes (Received): 252
Toro 421 help

I was given a Toro 421 model 38010 in real great condition and looks hardly used but has been sitting for a while BUT all gas was drained, Now the issue, All the Tecumseh engines have had the tube with the oil cap sticking up in front of the engine, This does not nor has the place for one but has a small oil cap to fill it on the left front of the engine but no dip stick there. Looked up parts and it looks as though there isn't supposed to be a dipstick on the cap. So how do you check the oil level on this thing?
[IMG][/IMG]
where the dipstick tube is on the HS50
[IMG][/IMG]
a HS50 dipstick tube for reference
[IMG][/IMG]
model number (ignore the grass LOL I was cutting the lawn before I put this away so got a little greenery on it)
[IMG][/IMG]

And under the engine section is the plug (Part 25) which has no dipstick on it.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/tor...77_123462.html

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
I believe you fill the oil until the level is just to the bottom edge of the threads of that plug hole. Also, make sure that plug is tightened up after so it doesn't vibrate out and let your oil spill.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 05-21-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You are correct, I found a manual for the 421 from 1981 and it has the dipstick in the manual but then I found another that says 421 1980 and all is the same EXCEPT the oil section (at least the same that I had found but could be more) The 1980 version says fill until over flowing from filler hole then replace cap, Then wipe up any spilled oil so I guess i see why they added a dip stick LOL too much spilled oil but none the less I have the manual and will save this for who ever may buy it. this thing is in nice shape although I think it may have been refurbished at some point because there are service center stickers all over it and a little red overspray paint on the muffler but none the less they did a nice job because all paint looks original and in good shape. One thing I did find odd was the 521 and 3521 I have both have the drum augers on them but this one has a standard auger so I wonder if they are original? will try to get a few pics after I clean it up a little better.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
I believe you fill the oil until the level is just to the bottom edge of the threads of that plug hole. Also, make sure that plug is tightened up after so it doesn't vibrate out and let your oil spill.
Back in the day before they started putting dipsticks on small engines that small plug was where you both filled and checked oil. Guess it was too simple for some people. Now people always question, "Do I screw in the dipstick or not."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
Back in the day before they started putting dipsticks on small engines that small plug was where you both filled and checked oil. Guess it was too simple for some people. Now people always question, "Do I screw in the dipstick or not."
general public seems to really be dumbing down, Which is good for us seeing how they would rather pay us to do simple maintenance than do it themselves.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
Interesting point. I have a B&S engine thats specifies screw in the dipstick, and a Kohler engine that specifies DO NOT screw in the dipstick to check oil level.

I make labels for each one so I remember which is which without having to read the manual once a year.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page