Non-Adjustable Carb Too Lean - Toro 5/21 -Tecumseh HS50 67259J - Carb 640084B - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Non-Adjustable Carb Too Lean - Toro 5/21 -Tecumseh HS50 67259J - Carb 640084B

Non-Adjustable Carb Too Lean - Toro 5/21
Tecumseh HS50 67259J
Carb 640084B

I have been off the forum for about a year due to health issues. I am now finishing off some projects I had to abandon.
Wow... It's amazing how quickly I've forgotten the basics!!

The original adjustable carburetor was not running properly even after an ultrasound clean.
I remember that it would start (during summer-time testing) but then stall again soon after starting.
Instead of spending hours fiddling and re-cleaning it... I decided to just buy a new carb.

So... I just fitted a BRAND NEW non-adjustable carb. However, it will only run on full choke. It shouldn't need to be cleaned because it's brand new.

I guess (in theory) the new carb could have some dirt left in it from the manufacturing process... but I'm guessing that's unlikely.
I checked for vacuum leaks by spraying carb fluid round the carb-to-manifold gasket.
Nothing obvious showed up. Everything is tight and snug. The gasket is new.

So unless I'm missing something obvious, because this is non-adjustable, I'm pretty much toast right?

So now I'm thinking of getting a THIRD carburetor... but I'll make sure I get an ADJUSTABLE carb this time.
Before doing that, I thought I'd see if anyone can think of anything worth trying that I've forgotten (while I've been out of action).

Any thoughts? Or do you agree that a third carb is the way to go?

Last edited by unknown1; 08-08-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 01:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Drop the bowl and take a quick look, I guess. If anything can be unscrewed and looked at, do that, too. And make sure your own fuel and delivery system is pristine. That's all I can think of. Not much help.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LB522r liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Yep... I need to eliminate any junk left in there by the (probably Chinese) manufacturer... I also need to eliminate any possibility of junk that came in immediately from the tank.
I'll flush the tank and the gas supply lines (again) and take a quick peek inside the carb (nothing to lose). I've never looked inside a non-adjustable carb.
This is the first (and LAST) fixed jet carb I've ever bought. I took a gamble... it doesn't look like it paid off too well.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Oh well... I found another old carburetor (adjustable) and tried that instead. Works like a champ.
My conclusion..

AVOID BUYING NON-ADJUSTABLE CARBS if at all possible.

If they work... you got lucky... if they don't... there's nothing you can do except trying to randomly drill out the jets until it kinda-sorta-works-maybe.

Come to think of it.... there's no "one-size-fits-all" jet setting that works optimally (if at all) for ALL altitudes, ALL temperatures and ALL Weather Systems.
If you are lucky, your non-adjustable carb might be set correctly for Sea Level.. but that might not be good enough for 10,000 feet in the Rockies.
In my case, I don't think this brand new non-adjustable carb would work well at ANY altitude.

Google "Carburettor Altitude Mixture" to see why there's no one-size-fits-all solution. But then again... this is "just" a snowblower not an aircraft.

Last edited by unknown1; 08-08-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
A lotta Generator manufacturers claim in their sales blurb that they will NOT work above 3,000 feet. Some will change the carb, but most just don't bother. Seems like a niche market for real small superchargers.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Yep... some(many? most?) carburetor manufacturers have "High Altitude Jet Kits" to try to take care of the reduced air density.
Even "disposable" engines (like Predators) talk about that in their owner's manual.
The "Big Box" companies aren't too helpful and just want to move inventory.
In my experience, their sales people don't even know about the issue.
So once again I'd say NEVER BUY A FIXED-JET CARBURETOR.. especially if you live in (say) Colorado.
If you buy a product that comes with a fixed-carburetor.... expect to be unhappy.

BTW. Something like 85% to 90% of the US population lives at or below 3000'.
So a carb adjusted for Sea Level may work for 90% of the population (maybe).
I suppose that's why the manufacturers can cut costs and sometimes get away with it.
They save 10 cents on an adjustable jet..... Is it worth it?..... I don't think so.

Given that I knew all this... I'm annoyed (with myself) for even thinking about risking a cheap fixed-jet carburetor.
Once bitten twice shy!

Last edited by unknown1; 08-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #7 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 254
I ALWAYS buy adjustable carbs and find them for the same prices as the fixed jet carbs. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
I ALWAYS buy adjustable carbs ....
Well ... going forward...that makes (at least) two of us ;-)
post #9 of 14 Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 687
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 1100
Likes (Received): 1110
Garage
any time I have seen a thread like this ( only runs on choke or partial choke ) it usually mean one or both jets are partially clogged.

i usually clean the idle jet and then drop the bowl and spray carb cleaner up the pick up tube . sometimes unscrew the main jet out and clean it or run a wire thru the holes in the tube.

then it runs as it should.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #10 of 14 Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
any time I have seen a thread like this ( only runs on choke or partial choke ) it usually mean one or both jets are partially clogged.

i usually clean the idle jet and then drop the bowl and spray carb cleaner up the pick up tube . sometimes unscrew the main jet out and clean it or run a wire thru the holes in the tube.

then it runs as it should.
Thanks for your suggestion. (BTW this is a brand-new carb so dismantling and cleaning really should not be necessary... I would have to be desperate to go there.... I just went with a third carb)

In my experience..
Cleaning the idle jet can be the silver bullet when your engine is "hunting". I've never really understood WHY that works.
Cleaning the main jet can be a silver bullet when things are "too lean"
Stopping the vacuum leak (ie air leak) is an alternate thing to check when things are "too lean"

So that brings me to another problem with these fixed carburetors..
The idle jet is no longer an adjustable screw-in jet... it's all hidden behind what looks like a fixed plug and I'm not even sure if you can remove them and put them back safely.
So that makes it tricky to clean out the idle even if you wanted to.
Maybe I'm mistaken and maybe you can safely pull them out and push them back in. I dunno... it sure looks "fixed" to me.... there's nothing to unscrew... just a black plug.

However, NONE OF THE ABOVE can save you if you have a high-altitude tuning issue. All you can do there is re-bore the jet. right?

Last edited by unknown1; 08-09-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in