Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 171
Garage
Toro impeller bushing modification

Hello All.....

I know I'm an Ariens guy...... But.....

I was servicing a toro 10/28 machine for a friend, came across the old worn out impeller bushing issue that all owners have or will address on thier toro. I didnt find a thread here about replacing the OE design with a bearing, so I decided to make one up and post it here for others to see the process.

Here they are side by side...

Used an Ariens axle bearing... ( Also on newer Ariens impellers )

Used an Ariens impeller bearing flange setup, can be found on any 24" machine...

Originally I was going to put spacers in between the flanges to keep from crushing the flange as bearing didn't fit into toro bucket hole, and then bolt on the bucket as toro one was. Didn't like that setup, so i decided to open up the bucket hole and install bearing assembly like an Ariens.

Had to remove only 80 thousands to make bearing fit nice and snug ...

Flange plate holes were slightly different than OE ones, I decided to rat tail file them to fit rather than drill three new holes...

Flange plate lined up nicely....

Completed installation.....

Hope this write up helps others with thier machines, and pictures are clear as to what was done.
If there are any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
Post Thanks / Like - 6 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, unknown1, Jackmels, detdrbuzzard, tdipaul, classiccat thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, Jackmels, dbert, detdrbuzzard, Sid liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
How are you dealing with the endplay?
post #3 of 27 Old 10-12-2017, 05:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
You know if you got the bearing and flanges from and old school TORO it would of bolted right up in there. and you would not have had to waste time Dicking around with that 1. And that is All the more I am saying on THAT 1.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 27 Old 10-12-2017, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 248
Likes (Received): 290
**** should have done this on mine didn't know about this until it was put back together

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #5 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
You know if you got the bearing and flanges from and old school TORO it would of bolted right up in there. and you would not have had to waste time Dicking around with that 1. And that is All the more I am saying on THAT 1.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To Mr powershift93.....

It's sad when I see people like yourself who would rather have just negative remarks and comments instead of helping others. If you had this knowledge of using older Toro parts to address this issue with their bushing why didn't you post up a thread of your findings and help others with this great modification / improvement ??
If you did post up your findings to help members here and my search missed it I apologize and please disregard my comments.

I'm not one to bash or start BS, but I took what you said Very personally. Since the day I found and joined this forum I have done nothing but help others, either by posting pictures or offering suggestions that I've learned in over 35 years in the trades. Several members have come by my house and we repaired their machines, no charge, all I asked for was a handshake and a thank you with the possibility of a pay it forward favor to another person in need.

Now that I'm done with my rant, I apologize if I've offended anybody. Had to get that off my chest.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
~~ And Lastly ~~
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, beemer23 liked this post
post #6 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351beno View Post
How are you dealing with the endplay?
Where do you expect to have end play ??
The id of bearing was roughly .881, it slid perfectly on to the impeller shaft and od was exact size of flange plate, bearing had no free play in the bucket opening. The pulley slides on to the impeller shaft where it was from the factory.
I might be missing what you are calling end play, if I am please give me more details so I can better understand what your asking. I still have machine here, I can go check to see what you are asking about.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
post #7 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
shaw
in a simple fix,that stock bushing bearing. where that stud is threaded in, drill it out all the way though, tape 1/4x 24 and install a grease fitting, the zerk works like the stud to keep the bushing from spinning in the clamp housing, a few shot of grease each season ends the toro seizing on the shaft problem i personally suffered from many times.
this also works on both auger end bearings and axle legs

also on both of my powershifts i had the leg/axle bearings lock up on the axle.spin in the leg, i reinstalled the bearing in the legs with the aid of 2 small sheet metal screws and a angled zerk no more axle problems
post #8 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 248
Likes (Received): 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw351 View Post
To Mr powershift93.....

It's sad when I see people like yourself who would rather have just negative remarks and comments instead of helping others. If you had this knowledge of using older Toro parts to address this issue with their bushing why didn't you post up a thread of your findings and help others with this great modification / improvement ??
If you did post up your findings to help members here and my search missed it I apologize and please disregard my comments.

I'm not one to bash or start BS, but I took what you said Very personally. Since the day I found and joined this forum I have done nothing but help others, either by posting pictures or offering suggestions that I've learned in over 35 years in the trades. Several members have come by my house and we repaired their machines, no charge, all I asked for was a handshake and a thank you with the possibility of a pay it forward favor to another person in need.

Now that I'm done with my rant, I apologize if I've offended anybody. Had to get that off my chest.
I don't think he's being negative its just the way his typing and verbiage comes across

He posted something helpful about this topic and others on my rebuild thread. Unfortunately I read it after the job was done.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks POWERSHIFT93 thanked for this post
Likes POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
post #9 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
The endplay is from the gearbox. On the stock bearing one side has a flat spot that needs to face out toward the pulley. They put washer between the pulley and bearing most of the washers are missing or broken so I always use a new one. Before you tighten the pulley setscrews rotate the augers back and forth you will see the impeller shaft move in and out. Hold the impeller shaft toward the rear to take the play out then a light tap on the pulley to make sure its down and tighten the set screws. Than spin the pulley to make sure it rotates good. If done this way I have never had a problem with the stock setup. Early failures are from improper install of the bearing, impeller fins bent, or bad belt tension.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
shaw
in a simple fix,that stock bushing bearing. where that stud is threaded in, drill it out all the way though, tape 1/4x 24 and install a grease fitting, the zerk works like the stud to keep the bushing from spinning in the clamp housing, a few shot of grease each season ends the toro seizing on the shaft problem i personally suffered from many times.
this also works on both auger end bearings and axle legs

also on both of my powershifts i had the leg/axle bearings lock up on the axle.spin in the leg, i reinstalled the bearing in the legs with the aid of 2 small sheet metal screws and a angled zerk no more axle problems
Thanks for the information, I'll see how worn the next one is I come across and install zerk fitting. I love the idea of a greasable bushing over a bearing. To be honest I never thought of adding one, great idea. This was only my 2nd Toro as I tend to stay with ariens.

This is why snowblower forum site is awesome, sharing & swapping ideas to help others doing their repairs, and perpetuating the trade.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page