New to me - Power Throw 8-24XL - shift adjustment - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
New to me - Power Throw 8-24XL - shift adjustment

I picked up a decent Power Throw 8-24XL today ($180) that will be going to my mother-in-law's house. It will mostly be used to clear a path to her oil tank and back doorway, only occasionally for full driveway duty.

It needs a little TLC (oil change, lube linkages, check/change gearbox oil, plug, etc.). Electric start works good but it seems to start hard warm (with recoil). I suspect a fresh plug and fresh fuel will help that quite a bit. I also noticed when I got home that the handlebars were twisted to one side. Ok, they are actually a little loose. I will address that when I drop the bottom pan and lube the internals.

The only other problem, which was noted when I tried it out, was that first gear is MIA (it actually crept backwards slightly in 1st). R1 & R2 along with 2-5 forward all worked as they should. It seems like this shouldn't be anything more complicated than adjusting the linkage. Obviously I need to fix the sloppy handlebars before I can accurately adjust the linkage.

So, the question. What is the procedure for adjusting the shift linkage on this machine?

There appears to be a threaded adjustment where the linkage attaches to the shifter. Do I need to make it longer or shorter?

I am more familiar with the linkage on the older machines where the shift lever performed as both speed/direction selector and clutch. I assume the shifter on this machine moves the friction disc side to side and the clutch handle draws the friction disc against the drive plate? Actually a simpler system (I hope).

And, since everyone likes Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	112497  

2015 Toro Power Max HD 826 OXE
1980 Toro 8-24 (5-24 re-powered with 8hp Briggs) - SOLD
1971 Toro 8-26
1963 Panzer T-70B with snow plow
2015 Chevy 2500 with 8' Fisher X-Blade
I hate shovels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-26-2017, 02:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1169
Thumbs up

I would take off the rear panel cover and have a good looksee around in there. check friction disc and clean everything up down there and lube it all over again. put new belts on it. post some pics of it also so I can have a good looksee all over the place. if you have any more questions or concerns feel free to CALL ME OUT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! ALOHA!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
you can go into the toro main website input the model number from there they ask for a serial number range , there the manuals are for download

example using your model under Manuals & Warranty you can download the service manual
https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=23660
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page