Anybody have a Toro snowmaster for a while? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Anybody have a Toro snowmaster for a while?

Hi all. I recently bought one but have been having second thoughts. I have a small area to clear on a not too busy side street north of Buffalo (I am not in the infamous snowbelt area).

Two things concern me and where I am looking for feedback.

How far down to the pavement does it go? I have seen compliments and bitching about it at the same time. I am wondering if the complainers are comparing to a conventional single stage and not a dual stage?

How does it do on icey compacted snow? I now it is light and can ride up. Are you able to use strategy to get through it?

Time is ending for me to either go this way or get the Craftsman two stage that has been tempting me since Black Friday.

Those who downgraded do you find yourself using the snowmaster more?

I wish we would have gotten a bad storm as HomeDepot gives 30 days to return and I am snowless thus far and would have loved to try it for real.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 16
Garage
What is your other choice if you don`t get the Toro Snowmaster?
post #3 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Craftsman 88694. Two stage 26" 208cc. Easy turn, joystick chute control, and quiet. Both are 700 dollars right now. Black Friday ends today.
Part of my debate is my area to be cleared is not big but I am in a potentially bad area. I am on a side street as well.
I was kinda shocked looking at the snowmaster vs a regular two stage as well. Not much smaller.
Intrigued by the speed and ease of use.
post #4 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Don

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 04:22 PM.
post #5 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 13
That video perfectly shows one of the Snowmaster's weaknesses:

The drive isn't smooth when initially moving forward. The machine jumps, which causes the front to come off the ground
post #6 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
How did you score your equipment so cheap? As that seems to be the ultimate combo single and dual.
I also have a sleigh shovel which if I get the bigger blower I can still use. That is by far so far the best snow clearing piece of equipment I have ever bought.
I saw that video. I am a super rookie but eager to learn. What was this guy doing wrong?
post #7 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
That video perfectly shows one of the Snowmaster's weaknesses:

The drive isn't smooth when initially moving forward. The machine jumps, which causes the front to come off the ground
It uses a CVT trans like in the toro personal pace mowers. Every video Iíve seen of a snow master shows that little jump you speak of, it might be as simple as a small change in the technique of applying pressure on the drive mechanism. The real downside is a lack of reverse. Not a huge deal considering how maneuverable it is, but just saying.

Not totally sure, but I think the shave plate is made of plastic and designed to scrape the surface like a single stage.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
I don't know about that particular model, but I have an older self propelled single stage. Mine looks to be heavier. The only plastic or rubber is on the hand grips and levers. It seems to handle the wet stuff better than your average 2 stage. At least when the neighbors are stopping to dig snow out of their chute I'm still going. It doesn't throw as far as the average 2 stage. It does ride up gradually going through hard packed snow banks. Then it high centers easy when the smaller chained tires dig into the packed snow while trying to push through the bank. I just back up and start over. the scrapper bar takes care of it. Your average single stage will do a better and faster job at cleaning up light snow falls right down to pavement.
The self propelled single is kind of like the middle child of snowblowers. It does everything pretty good, but doesn't really stand out as better than either of the other two.
YMMV.

Bung hole deep to a tall whiskey barrel.
post #9 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 250
Likes (Received): 297
With 2 seasons in the books here is my feedback...

Its a super fast machine for light accumulations. No machine is faster for a small driveway.

If the snow is attacked the day of, it will get down as close as any 2 stage but not as close as a typical SS that is using the ground to propel itself. It does not do very well removing the compacted strips of snow created by a car. The plastic sheave plate can only do so much scraping.

It throws farther than any SS and about as far as the typical 2 stage but not as far as 2 stage Honda's and SHO Ariens which are in another league.

Like all SS'ers, the high speed auger/impeller does not like hitting hard immovable objects such as the corners of curbs or paving stones embedded in the ground.

The machine is light so there is no need for reverse. It would only slow you down. Think what it would be like switching to reverse on a push mower it would add a lot of time

It can handle a dry snow blizzard but it does take some effort and time. It about splits the difference between the typical SS and a 2st. It would not be my machine of choice for a wet snow blizzard.

If you wait a week to blow and the snow has hardened the machine is not effective.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 11-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks The Q thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, classiccat, dcushion, KingDavey liked this post
post #10 of 41 Old 11-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 16
Garage
Nice review!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in