Zerkless Augurs - Do they have plastic sleeves now? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 47
Zerkless Augurs - Do they have plastic sleeves now?

My new Toro Powermax 826 OE (model 37780) does not have grease fittings. I read a post about newer Ariens Deluxe models that are supposedly also zerkless but do have plastic sleeves so no metal to metal contact.

Does anyone know if this is the case for Toros?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 05:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
My new Toro Powermax 826 OE (model 37780) does not have grease fittings. I read a post about newer Ariens Deluxe models that are supposedly also zerkless but do have plastic sleeves so no metal to metal contact.

Does anyone know if this is the case for Toros?
Can't really say aboot the plastic part. but you need not worry aboot any BLOODY SHEER PINS Popping. Because TORO DOES NOT use any BLOODY SHEER PINS!!!! The motor will stall oot if you go cutting a rug, or any other strange objects that might appear oot of nowhere!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks barney thanked for this post
Likes barney liked this post
post #3 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
toro has never had zerks anywhere in their machines . stop worrying about it.
post #4 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 11:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Every year just take the bolts out and use some kind of spray lube/ penatrant on the ends and bolt holes. Give it a few spins and your good. Also works on the axle/wheel. If you don't they can freeze up over time. But Toros don't rust as fast and bad as the Ariens if not lubed.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks barney, 10953 thanked for this post
post #5 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351beno View Post
Every year just take the bolts out and use some kind of spray lube/ penatrant on the ends and bolt holes. Give it a few spins and your good. Also works on the axle/wheel. If you don't they can freeze up over time. But Toros don't rust as fast and bad as the Ariens if not lubed.
Well I don't see many posts of guys with seized Toro augur shafts on here which is good. So perhaps just spraying some lubricant in the bolt holes and spinning them as you indicate is sufficient.

I watched an excellent video on YouTube of a guy removing his Toro augur/impeller and then taking it apart to grease the augur shafts. Maybe he's anal retentive.

This is what he had to say about it:
"Toro doesn't want you to do this basic maintenance procedure that EVERY other snowblower needs... adding grease to the auger blade shafts. The service manual for PowerMax snowblowers specifies anti-seize on the shafts, but that will quickly wash away. As you will see in the video, mine were rusted, and when I first tried spinning them, they would not move! "

Last edited by barney; 11-26-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
But Toros don't rust as fast and bad as the Ariens if not lubed.
I highly doubt that is true..there is no evidence to support that, and there is no reason to suspect that Toro uses some kind of different metal formula that is less likely to rust.

Quote:
Well I don't see many posts of guys with seized Toro augur shafts on here which is good. So perhaps just spraying some lubricant in the bolt holes and spinning them as you indicate is sufficient.
There have been some. You found a video that shows its a problem, and here are two threads that also say its a problem:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...k-fitting.html

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...sheer-pin.html

And there are a few more. These machines should have been fitted with grease zerks, its a genuine concern that they dont have them, and it has clearly been known to cause rusting problems because they dont have them. Trying to squirt some grease into the shear pin hole will not adequately grease the entire auger shaft. It was a bad decision on Toro's part.

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Quote:
But Toros don't rust as fast and bad as the Ariens if not lubed.
I highly doubt that is true..there is no evidence to support that, and there is no reason to suspect that Toro uses some kind of different metal formula that is less likely to rust.

Quote:
There have been some. You found a video that shows its a problem, and here are two threads that also say its a problem:

And there are a few more. These machines should have been fitted with grease zerks, its a genuine concern that they dont have them, and it has clearly been known to cause rusting problems because they dont have them. Trying to squirt some grease into the shear pin hole will not adequately grease the entire auger shaft. It was a bad decision on Toro's part.

Scot
I only have work and sold Toro and Ariens for 17 years. I see it all and have fixed them all. Most people don't even take the shear pins out to grease them so the grease don't go thru the whole shaft anyways. Yes if you take the bolts out and spray them even with wd-40 and spin them once a year they will never freeze. Not having grease fitting on a Toro is not a problem. If you do simple maintenance you will not have a problem.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks barney, 10953 thanked for this post
post #8 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 418
Likes (Received): 192
Isn't the point of greasing the auger shaft to make sure the auger rotates on the shaft if a shear pin breaks? However I thought all PowerMax snowblowers have hardened gears and no shear pins. So I'm wondering if no shear pins is it really necessary to have grease fittings on the PowerMax blowers?

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #9 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post

Scot
Personally I think I agree with you. I would rather have a few zerks. I will however be spraying the shafts as best as I can with some kind anti rust & lube spray at least once a year if not twice.

Last edited by barney; 11-26-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Isn't the point of greasing the auger shaft to make sure the auger rotates on the shaft if a shear pin breaks? However I thought all PowerMax snowblowers have hardened gears and no shear pins. So I'm wondering if no shear pins is it really necessary to have grease fittings on the PowerMax blowers?
Pretty sure my 826 OE has one shear pin each side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page