post #1 of 14 Old 11-28-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 10/32 starter and carb issue

Hello everyone,

I have an older 10/32 model 31995 (the SN is in the range of 6000001 - 6999999) and have 2 issues with it. The starter seems to be fried, because it tends to smoke a little when trying to start. It's been sitting a while, so replacing the starter isn't out of the question. The issue with that is that Briggs has one part number, whereas Toro has another. Which one should I use?

The second issue is the carb. Because it sat, I took it apart and cleaned it. Everything is in ok shape for a 30 year old snowblower, but I think it might be a good idea to do a rebuild on the carb with new needles, gaskets and jets. Has anyone ever done this on this model of snowblower? Does anyone have the carb specs for this model? Since I've had it, I've always had to run it with a little choke because the carb was likely gummed up.

Last but not least, according to all the literature I have found, it seems like this model was supposed to have a battery start, but I only have a push button starter that needs to be plugged in. I don't know much about the models at the time, so is the plug-in start an option?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-28-2017, 10:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 650
Those Briggs Starters for 110v are hard to find, and expensive. Try Cleaning the Carb, and see how it Runs before throwing money at it. Then Rebuild it if Need Be. As far as I know, Repop Carbs are Not an Option for Any Briggs Larger than 8hp.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-28-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I tried cleaning it, but just recently found the factory carb settings. I'll give that a shot before investing too much. Thanks!
post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I had a small brain fart and instead of removing the starter from the machine, I removed the starter cover bolts and popped the cap off. Now I'm in a bit of trouble because I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep all the springs compressed and reassemble the starter. Any tips?

Last edited by Versys514; 12-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
first does your starter look like this one? https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...CABEgJdrPD_BwE
i just did one from my kohler on my lawn tractor, they are not fun so rebuilding that one is not fun even for a long time auto tech.with over 50 years under his belt. if you have a auto starter generator rebuilder nearby you,take it there
if you want to try
first the start most fully come off the machine be fully disassembled as the armature needs to go into the brush holder first , removing the drive snap gear ring is going to make you release a few choice words "in french i would hope mine were in german so the other half didn't know what i said "

was there a cupped or flat thrust washer in under the brushes? is there 4 small holes drilled through the housing by the brushes?
if there is 4 holes,use 4 small dia.pick's. hold each brush in with one, squeezing in as you hold the brushes into the slots. reinstall the washer/brush holder to hold the brushes in place.if cupped the cup goes down
drop the armature into the holder, hold the armature tightly down, drop the frame in place, the magnets in the frame will want to pull the armature back out, so hang on or you will be reloading the brushes, frame in place ,reinstall the drive other end cap. what ever came off first ,again the snap ring is not easy. try not to let anything slip till bolted back together
GOOD LUCK your going to need it
post #6 of 14 Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys514 View Post
I had a small brain fart and instead of removing the starter from the machine, I removed the starter cover bolts and popped the cap off. Now I'm in a bit of trouble because I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep all the springs compressed and reassemble the starter. Any tips?
The starter is fried from your first post. you can get a OEM BRIGGS carb overhaul kit for it. I might still be able to get my paws on a new old stock starter for it. but I will tell you right now it will not be cheap with shipping oot there to Canada. I already have some parked in customs oot there. that is headed to New Brunswick to get fixed. let me find the part number for the carb kit.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Briggs part number for carb overhaul kit is. 391071

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Versys514 thanked for this post
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Powershift93,

Thanks for the info. Does the overhaul kit you listed have all the needles / jets? From speaking with a dealer in my area, he was saying that the kit he got was missing the main jet if I'm not mistaken, and there was a service bulletin to the effect.

As for the starter, it looks similar to the one that 87 PowerShift linked to.

Can the electric starter be replaced by a pull start? There isn't one on the machine, but I'm hoping that there are compatible parts out there. As there is no primer in-line, would that be something else I would need to add?

Thanks again for your help.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys514 View Post
Powershift93,

Thanks for the info. Does the overhaul kit you listed have all the needles / jets? From speaking with a dealer in my area, he was saying that the kit he got was missing the main jet if I'm not mistaken, and there was a service bulletin to the effect.

As for the starter, it looks similar to the one that 87 PowerShift linked to.

Can the electric starter be replaced by a pull start? There isn't one on the machine, but I'm hoping that there are compatible parts out there. As there is no primer in-line, would that be something else I would need to add?

Thanks again for your help.
Yeah it should have all the stuff in there for it. I returned your PM on the other stuff.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 14 Old 12-10-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks again for the info!

I also found a surrogate for the starter. I currently have a 393488, and someone is selling a 396469. Would that work? I asked you that in PM, but I'm posting in case anyone else has an idea I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page