LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Power Max 1028 Traction Belt issue

I have a used Power Max 1028 (about 10 yrs old) for the past 2 years, and this year, the last 4 uses, the traction belt has slipped off the traction pulley - not the engine pulley. It is a PITA to roll it to my garage and re-seat the belt. I have looked it over pretty good, and there doesn't seem to be anything broken or loose, except maybe the belt has stretched ? It is a 34 x 3/8" cogged belt, which is what is called for. Not sure, but the belt may be after-market. Anyone experience this, and have any suggestions ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-30-2017, 01:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Did you check the swing plate bushings they are probably bad. The one on the left hand side "drivers side" gets the most wear. You will need to take the wheel off to see if they are bad. They are small white bushings and any movement on that swing plate rod will cause the belt to jump.

Last edited by 351beno; 12-30-2017 at 01:42 AM.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-30-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351beno View Post
Did you check the swing plate bushings they are probably bad. The one on the left hand side "drivers side" gets the most wear. You will need to take the wheel off to see if they are bad. They are small white bushings and any movement on that swing plate rod will cause the belt to jump.
Help me out - Where is the swing plate bushing, or part number ? One thing I noticed the last time the belt came off, I had just hit a bump in the ice, which caused the blower to jump a little.

Another, possibly unrelated. My 1st two forward gears are almost zero speed. I have adjusted the gear selector rod to be max length without bending, and that didn't help.

Oh, my PowerMax is an LE - i.e. no trigger steering.

Appreciate any help !

I just did some googling, and I see that you are the expert on this issue, and Yes, I am in the re-call model/serial number time frame. Do you have the info on whether Toro will do anything, or am I on my nickle ? Is there a PDF with instructions on what to do ?

Addtl info - the bushings are worn on both sides. Will replacing them fix it, or do I also need to cut down the pulley ?

THX

Last edited by RIT333; 12-30-2017 at 03:11 PM.
post #4 of 29 Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
It must be a 2004 if it's in the update range. I don't think toro will help being that old. You will have to check how long the rear pulley is the one closes to the motor. It may have been done already. I would make sure you got the right toro belt also. Did the hole in the frame for the swing plate get worn at all?
post #5 of 29 Old 12-30-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
It must be a 2004 if it's in the update range. I don't think toro will help being that old. You will have to check how long the rear pulley is the one closes to the motor. It may have been done already. I would make sure you got the right toro belt also. Did the hole in the frame for the swing plate get worn at all?
As you guessed, the left bushing was worn more than the right, so I switched them, and made a bushing for the right side out of a butter dish to allow me to use it if I need to, until I can get 2 new bushing. The frame holes were fine.

Can you elaborate on what to do to the rear pulley ? I suspect that it is still factory knowing the previous owner.

THANKS a lot - I would never have looked at those bushings. I suspect that they just got to the tipping point, because I never had a belt come off last year.

Happy New Year, and have an extra cocktail on my behalf, and I'll have one on yours...or maybe a couple.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum.../topics/122145

Post #4 says the length it should be. I just use a hand grinder and keep it as flat as possible. Happy New year!

Last edited by 351beno; 12-30-2017 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum.../topics/122145

Post #4 says the length it should be. I just use a hand grinder and keep it as flat as possible. Happy New year!
Are you talking about the pulleys on the engine crank ? Is the strategy to bring the traction pulley about 1/8" closer to the engine ? Seems like that will align the traction pulleys when they are engaged, but it will throw off the alignment of the auger pulleys - at least from a quick look. It was about 5 degrees F in my garage, so I didn't spend a lot of time inspecting !

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
post #8 of 29 Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Yes you got it. The anger belt will be fine as long as the pulley measures right once done.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-08-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just completed the shaving down of the traction pulley that sits on the crank. Guess what - NO thrown belts ! It worked perfect - well, sort of. The nylon bushings were shot, and I spent a good hour fudging up a substitute that finally worked, although I do need to get the Toro ones.

Thanks again for the help/suggestions.

I am amazed that Toro never caught this when they were engineering the machine. Shame on them !
post #10 of 29 Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Just completed the shaving down of the traction pulley that sits on the crank. Guess what - NO thrown belts ! It worked perfect - well, sort of. The nylon bushings were shot, and I spent a good hour fudging up a substitute that finally worked, although I do need to get the Toro ones.

Thanks again for the help/suggestions.

I am amazed that Toro never caught this when they were engineering the machine. Shame on them !
OK, I "lied". The last 2 days of using it, the traction belt continues to jump off the lower traction pulley. I have a 550' driveway, and it seems like after about 3-4 passes - so about 2000' of use, it jumps off. Before shaving down the pulley, it would jump off the front of the lower pulley while using a non-OEM belt.

I have since replaced the 2 Nylint bushing on the swing-arm for the traction pulley, am using a brand new Toro traction belt that is about 1/2" shorter than the new OEM belt and I shaved off 1/8" from the traction pulley it is darn close to exact.

So, does anyone have a suggestion of what else I can adjust or replace ? This gets very frustrating when the belt comes off 500' from my garage, and I have to push the machine into the garage to work on it.

Thanks for your patience on this issue, because mine is running out !

Rit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page