LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Powershift transmission

Has anyone ever had anything OTHER than the input bearing go bad? What I mean is can a bad bearing take out the case or something. I need to replace mine and am wondering if the case could be worn or cracked. Secondly, what actually wears out, does the bearing cage rust into pieces leaving the inner race flopping around inside the bearing?

I'm armchair repairing right now because it's in the single digits right now and my pole barn isn't much warmer so I'm doing some thinking before I tear into it.

1988 Toro 824 Powershift
1994 John Deere TRS-21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 11:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersport View Post
Has anyone ever had anything OTHER than the input bearing go bad? What I mean is can a bad bearing take out the case or something. I need to replace mine and am wondering if the case could be worn or cracked. Secondly, what actually wears out, does the bearing cage rust into pieces leaving the inner race flopping around inside the bearing?

I'm armchair repairing right now because it's in the single digits right now and my pole barn isn't much warmer so I'm doing some thinking before I tear into it.
Replace the bearing and clean up the gears and case and re grease the whole thing. have a good looksee at the case. unless you dropped it off the sears tower or something like that. the case is just fine. HA-HA you have single digits we are at -15 with a wind chill making it feel like -28 out there. so when it warms up there why don't you take pics for the masses here to see.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 588
I've rebuilt several of the trannies....just be careful taking them apart and lay out the pieces so you can reassemble. the Toro service manual is very helpful with directions, and google Powershift repair and there is a 3 or 4 part video that takes you through the process. Be careful of the thrust washer placement....kind of critical.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
All good to hear - thanks.

1988 Toro 824 Powershift
1994 John Deere TRS-21
post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2017, 08:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
I am sure you have a celly phone with a camera on it. take pics of each part you remove in order then you can put it back together in reverse order. and if you see any iffy parts just post them here so we all can have a good looksee at them.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page