Are new Toro single stages worse than their older versions? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Snowbelt_subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland ohio
Posts: 609
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 124
Are new Toro single stages worse than their older versions?

we got a storm last night started out as ice then moved to wet snow. we got about 3 inches or so. down at the eod it was 6-8 inches of heavy wet stuff in a 5X12ft area

i seen my neighbor with his MTD 2 stage clogging up every other pass i new it was going to be a rough one.

i got my 2 single stages out for some wet snow slush fun.

first was the 4 stroke power clear 621e it was doing ok in the less depth but ended up stalling a couple times in the heavy stuff and ended not throwing that stuff very far kind of barely out the chute a couple times

next was the ccr 3650 2 stroke and it just ate up everything and was throwing the wet stuff a good 20-30 ft .

after a side by side comparison i think i would take a CCR series toro over any of the new 4 strokes. they dont seem to have the same power or throwing distance.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Snowbelt_subie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 474
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
first was the 4 stroke power clear 621e it was doing ok in the less depth but ended up stalling a couple times in the heavy stuff and ended not throwing that stuff very far kind of barely out the chute a couple times after a side by side comparison i think i would take a CCR series toro over any of the new 4 strokes. they dont seem to have the same power or throwing distance.
You can thank the EPA for banning your machines engine, gone just like 2 stroke outboards.

Probably why Toro went with 212cc engines on the 721 models instead of the 163cc? on yours.
DriverRider is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-08-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Snowbelt_subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland ohio
Posts: 609
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
You can thank the EPA for banning your machines engine, gone just like 2 stroke outboards.

Probably why Toro went with 212cc engines on the 721 models instead of the 163cc? on yours.
yea i hear you but i dont think its close on torque a 6 hp 2 cycle vs a 6hp 4 cycle it was very noticeable in power.

i think the 3650 is going to be my personal blower its just a beast when it comes down to it.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Snowbelt_subie is online now  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
yea i hear you but i dont think its close on torque a 6 hp 2 cycle vs a 6hp 4 cycle it was very noticeable in power.

i think the 3650 is going to be my personal blower its just a beast when it comes down to it.
I picked up a 3650 after I saw my neighbor across the street with his 2450 clearing snow in no time. After using the 3650 for a while, I ended up picking up a 210r, very similar to platform to the newer machines, but still has the R-Tek duraforce engine, and now that's my go to. Seems to be best of both worlds, toro engineering with a commercial grade USA engine.
JaCkaL829 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-09-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Snowbelt_subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland ohio
Posts: 609
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCkaL829 View Post
I picked up a 3650 after I saw my neighbor across the street with his 2450 clearing snow in no time. After using the 3650 for a while, I ended up picking up a 210r, very similar to platform to the newer machines, but still has the R-Tek duraforce engine, and now that's my go to. Seems to be best of both worlds, toro engineering with a commercial grade USA engine.
if i can find another ccr2000 with the old suzuki 2 cycle ill have a toro showdown ccr2000 vs ccr3650 vs 621 power clear

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Snowbelt_subie is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
LouC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 144
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Id like to see that one!
I think one of the best Toros was the 3000 GTS with the Suzuki 5 hp 2 stroke. I've has this one 20 years and it's been a good machine needing only a carb replacement in addition to normal maintenance.....

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
LouC is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Snowbelt_subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland ohio
Posts: 609
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Id like to see that one!
I think one of the best Toros was the 3000 GTS with the Suzuki 5 hp 2 stroke. I've has this one 20 years and it's been a good machine needing only a carb replacement in addition to normal maintenance.....
those 3000's arent too common ive been looking for one for a while. arent they the same engine as the 2000's but a different carb or something to get the extra power?

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Snowbelt_subie is online now  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boise, Idaho USA
Posts: 15
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
I run a '99 ccr3000e-gts with the Suzuki 47P. Very happy with the way it throws wet or dry. I am finished blowing in half the time the neighbors take.
It is a little bit noisy like a dirt bike. Maybe I should add an expansion chamber exhaust ? Love the electric start.
Depending on the year of manufacture and model number the 2000 and 3000 shared the R-tek and the 47P Suzuki. Some early 2000 models had the HSK-850. A couple of the R-Tek models were sold as different HP rating with a difference in max rpm.
cr4west is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
LouC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 144
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
One thing I thought of is if I ever had to re-power this one would the Briggs Duraforce fit? It was used on the later versions of this same model. I think that Suzuki's engine price got too expensive for Toro's price point....

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
LouC is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-10-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Snowbelt_subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland ohio
Posts: 609
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
One thing I thought of is if I ever had to re-power this one would the Briggs Duraforce fit? It was used on the later versions of this same model. I think that Suzuki's engine price got too expensive for Toro's price point....
hmm i am not sure i re powered the newer body style 2450 with a 3650 engine before.

isnt the briggs rtek the same thing? as long as the bolt pattern is the same where it mounts around the crank it shouldnt be an issue.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Snowbelt_subie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome