LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-13-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
PowerShift reverse speed

This is about a (1989?) PowerShift 824, but I think it's common to all. I also have an 828 and bought (and adjusted etc) a 624 for one of my sons-in-law. Same issue with each...

Reverse tends to be at 2nd and 3rd gear speeds rather than 1st and 2nd as marked unless I adjust the long vertical shift linkage rod almost as short as I can while still being able to get into 4th. Once so adjusted, I can shift from 1 forward into 1 reverse, but if I then go into 2 reverse (and it still can get into 3rd gear reverse), I have to get out of reverse, move the lever to 1st forward again and carefully pull the lever along the right side of the shift detent opening (closest to 1) to again engage reverse in first gear.

Looking at the detent opening in the control plate (where the shift lever runs) reverse is definitely offset to the left from the positions for the forward gears, and thus this isn't particularly surprising. Is reverse really supposed to be fast? What am I missing? For an old guy with new hips, a slow reverse is helpful, while a 3rd-gear reverse is useless.

Thanks!
Karl

Karl
1998 Toro PowerShift 824
1989 Toro PowerShift 828
1979 Toro 724 needs an engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-14-2018, 04:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVacek View Post
This is about a (1989?) PowerShift 824, but I think it's common to all. I also have an 828 and bought (and adjusted etc) a 624 for one of my sons-in-law. Same issue with each...

Reverse tends to be at 2nd and 3rd gear speeds rather than 1st and 2nd as marked unless I adjust the long vertical shift linkage rod almost as short as I can while still being able to get into 4th. Once so adjusted, I can shift from 1 forward into 1 reverse, but if I then go into 2 reverse (and it still can get into 3rd gear reverse), I have to get out of reverse, move the lever to 1st forward again and carefully pull the lever along the right side of the shift detent opening (closest to 1) to again engage reverse in first gear.

Looking at the detent opening in the control plate (where the shift lever runs) reverse is definitely offset to the left from the positions for the forward gears, and thus this isn't particularly surprising. Is reverse really supposed to be fast? What am I missing? For an old guy with new hips, a slow reverse is helpful, while a 3rd-gear reverse is useless.

Thanks!
Karl
there are only 2 speeds for reverse. 1st reverse is a lot slower than 2nd reverse. that shifter rod moves the yolk in the trans up and down thru the gears. I am trying to understand what you are getting at here. post some pics or a vid of what is going on so I can get a better handle on this problem. or you can always PM me. yes 2nd gear reverse is a lot faster.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 588
The speeds on the Powershift are fixed by gear ratio in the transmission.....I don't understand how they could be to fast or slow....if it goes into a gear, it is the speed set by the factory.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
The speeds on the Powershift are fixed by gear ratio in the transmission.....I don't understand how they could be to fast or slow....if it goes into a gear, it is the speed set by the factory.
I think he wants to be able to adjust those speeds. Other than that I have no clue what he is trying to get at.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 16 Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
any chance someone has changed the engine governor speeds to too fast?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
What I'm saying is that the shift gate on the top plate (dashboard?) controls the lateral position of the shift lever when in reverse. 1st Reverse is NOT directly behind (closer to the operator) 1st forward - the lever positions for reverse are offset to the left - toward the next gear up.

The 1st Reverse lever position is opposite a spot between the lever positions for 1st and 2nd Forward. 2nd Reverse is similarly opposite a spot half way between the lever positions for 2nd and 3rd Forward. Thus the book adjustment of the shift linkage makes 1st Reverse use the same transmission gear as 2nd Forward. Fine in open areas, but I like the slower 1st-gear speed for backing up in tight spots in ice and snow.

My engine is running about 3400 max top speed, per the manual. I know someone quoted 3600 for all Tecumsehs, but my Tecumseh manual doesn't agree.

Karl
1998 Toro PowerShift 824
1989 Toro PowerShift 828
post #7 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
the speed on a powershift is the speed...no adjustment as far as I can tell.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 370
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
sounds like your best/easiest option to slow things down in reverse is to add a throttle control up on the dash .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #9 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
A smaller pulley on the crankshaft going to the transmission is the only way to slow that bad girl down
post #10 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The issue is gear selection when in reverse. The forward speeds all work just fine, and I have two reverse speeds. They're labeled 1 and 2, but in 1 reverse the transmission is really in 2nd and in 2 reverse the transmission is really in 3rd, due to the position of the Reverse notch in the dash plate where the shift lever rides.

When you pull back into reverse from 1st gear forward into the Reverse position marked 1, the steel dash plate has a notch for reverse that makes you move the shift lever a bit to the left (towards 2nd gear) to get into the notch in the plate where the two reverse speeds are. The transmission naturally tends to move into 2nd gear.

SO...
Is the slower reverse speed supposed to be the same speed reverse as 2nd gear forward, and the faster reverse speed the same speed as 3rd gear forward? That's how all of mine work unless I adjust the shift lever differently from the Toro manual's position of 2nd aligning with the center of the PowerShift notch. I need to have the lever adjusted to the right of that to get a 1st-gear reverse speed. On all 3 snowblowers.

Karl
1998 Toro PowerShift 824
1989 Toro PowerShift 828

Last edited by KVacek; 01-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page