LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 1
Toro auto-turn vs trigger?

I've read a lot of complaints about how the Ariens hang up and the auto-turn causes them to push in the direction of whatever hung up, making them a real fight at times on uneven ground.

My understanding is that the Toro auto-turn uses the same licensed axle system but I've not heard anybody complain about bad auto-steer issues on the Toro. I'm suspecting this is because the Toro is much better balanced with less weight pushing on the skids and less likely to hang up causing this (just a theory).

Its more than just a passing curiosity for me. As I mentioned in a general thread, I'm in the market for a blower and I'm really torn right now between the 826OXE with auto-steer and the HD826OXE with trigger steer. The only real reason I'm thinking of paying 40% more for the HD is to avoid auto-steer issues... but maybe my fear is unfounded.

I'm hoping someone here has first hand experience with the Toro auto-steer on rough uneven gravel and can comment on its performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 418
Likes (Received): 192
Besides the steering you get larger tires and auger on the HD series. Along with the larger auger you get the HD commercial grade gearbox. Toro's MSRP shows a $350 difference between the 2 models, of course dealer pricing can vary. Spread that difference over 10-15 years and you're talking less than it costs for a nice dinner out. Of course just a few dollars more and you can get one of my very favorite models the Power Max® HD 928 OHXE (38801) At $550 more you get a larger engine and hand warmers.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
TORO Does NOT use an auto turn set up like ERIN'S does they run the trigger set up.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
TORO Does NOT use an auto turn set up like ERIN'S does they run the trigger set up.
The Toro Power Max 826 OXE uses the General Transmissions DI 300. The Ariens, (ERIN'S) uses the General Transmissions DI 500. Toro calls it Automatic Steering.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
The Toro HD series are soooo sweet that the OP is probably going to run out this morning and get a HD 926 OHXE anyway.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
The Toro Power Max 826 OXE uses the General Transmissions DI 300. The Ariens, (ERIN'S) uses the General Transmissions DI 500. Toro calls it Automatic Steering.
OOPS Well just slap me silly with a rubber duck then because I don't really know much aboot those machines.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I own neither machine (I have an older Ariens with a "normal" differential, not Autoturn), but I'd lean towards the triggers setup.

As you alluded to, the Ariens system appears to be sensitive to balance, and people have also often swapped to other skids, which ride more smoothly. For recent machines, Ariens shifted the axle position forward, to take weight off the bucket, which has apparently made Autoturn smoother and more cooperative.

But balancing the machine is still a trade-off, even if Toro avoids a lot of weight on the bucket. With the bucket too light, the machine will be more likely to ride up on top of the snow, especially for snowbanks. I've added extra weight to my bucket, to help hold the nose down while going up my driveway's incline, as an example. Using that approach might cause trouble with an auto-steering machine.

Based on the Autoturn issues, it seems to me that maybe the automatic systems are a bit *too* clever, and can be fooled by catching a skid on something in the snow, etc. Some people have good results with Autoturn, mind you, but it's the inconsistency that concerns me (it has more trouble with uneven/gravel driveways, etc).

Personally, I'd rather have triggers. The machine will definitely track straight, in 2-wheel drive mode, until I tell it otherwise, so fewer surprises. Honda went to triggers on their latest HSS machines. I got to play with a Honda and an Autoturn Ariens in a showroom, the triggers seemed pretty nice to me. I haven't gotten to use them in the real world, sadly.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Steering brakes provide the user with finer control so keep that in mind.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
why did Toro put the weaker Nylon cases Di300 in the new 928 OAE HD I think Im going to get the next model up with the triggers 2 models of the 1028 now one with plastic and one with the metal. Also they changed the impeller gear box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page