Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Question ISSUES ~ Toro Power Max HD 1028 OHXE

Snowblower: Toro Snowblower Power Max HD 1028 OHXE, 302 cc engine
Model #: 38802

New unit but after 5 uses I'm having the following issues:

x Powder Coat within the housing appears to be failing ~ perhaps due to some rocks? but it doesnt appear so
x The auger impeller lever wont stay down when the traction lever is also pressed down ~ it tends to correct itself randomly though
x The chute deflector is not locking in place ~ while blowing the deflector always rotates to the the far right despite setting with the Quick Stick
x Not good with slushy-esque snow ~ it wont stall but it will dribble all the snow right over the housing; almost makes me regret not getting the Ariens Platinum SHO

Other gripes:

x Their placement of the Quick Stick on the left side is not preferred; it should be positioned closer to the right side for quicker reach by the right hand
x Change the Quick Stick to an electronic thumb-stick similar to Troy-Bilt. All problems solved
x All snowblowers should have their auger housing encased in some tough plastic protecting it from rocks and rust.
x Muffle the noise on these engines -- too loud
x The skid shoes should be polyethelene by default not steal. I dont understand the point of steel. Concrete driveway owners will thank you.
x Automatically kick up the impeller speed when the going gets tough so as to more likely hurl out heavier, slushy snow
x Be nice if i could adjust the height of the housing / skid shoe height with some ratchet action on either side

I intend on taking it into the dealer as it is under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Crazy, I have the 928 version of that thing and I have none of those issues. The quick stick is a little far away though, I agree on that point. I think you may be having some improper setup issues and it might be worth a trip back to the dealer to correct them. Some of those sound like silly problems that could be fixed easily.

The powder coating issue is concerning though, if not due to rocks.

Current machines:

2016 Toro PowerMax HD 928 OHXE
2004 Toro CCR 3650
2003 Toro CCR Powerlite 3.5 HP
post #3 of 22 Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
UGH!, I hate problems,

With regard to the auger/impeller lever the snow blower was not set up correctly apparently and is out of adjustment.

Purchase a couple cans of Fluid Film Aerosol Spray to coat the chute and spout and the cross auger housing and you will really slick it up.

Steel is less expensive and they probably make the same skid for the entire product line that the build.
You can by the heavy plastic skids for your snow blower from one of the folks on the forum here or through here.

Impeller speed is belt driven and the issue is torque as you need huge amounts of torque to clear heavy snow and ice piles.
You would need or want an engine with a load governed throttle or a larger engine with a centrifugal clutch to run the belt drive for the impeller alone.

You can buy tractor muffler and the pipe fittings to mount on it. one of the members has a link on this issue. Sadly I don't remember where his posting is.

These machines being all small engines do not have mufflers with packing to absorb noise to minimize the decibel level they simply have baffles in the "mufflers".

Short of covering the chute impeller housing and cross auger housing with slick sheet material they wont do this for a new machine.

You can always purchase slick plate paint from Tractor supply to coat the cross auger housing and impeller housing with a paint that will reduce friction and allow the snow to move faster to the impeller.

As far as the cutting height goes its feast or famine as you have to use wrenches to adjust it. Its better in most cases to just lower the skids and leave them and have snow in the ground in most cases.

The manufacturers of power equipment recommend that the users wear hearing protection of some type ear muffs, ear plugs, ear muffs with am fm radio in the ear pieces. you can find all these at gemplers and they have very good hearing protection items. my sister in law loves the radio earmuffs she has when she is out mowing as it blocks out the noise from the Kubota 2370 she has with the lawn mower.

www.gemplers.com

Sorry I could not be more help.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 315
Likes (Received): 143
With my 1128 Power max I get a small reasonable amount of snow on the bucket. My interlock works 90% of the time. I do not believe that there is a perfect snow blower out there. As far as noise the bigger the motor the louder they get.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #5 of 22 Old 02-03-2018, 05:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 191
Garage
Sounds like some adjustments could be made to the machine. Hopefully the dealer can address most of those issues.

Not sure you would be happy with the Ariens either.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #6 of 22 Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
Sounds like some adjustments could be made to the machine. Hopefully the dealer can address most of those issues.

Not sure you would be happy with the Ariens either.
I think that OP is buckin' for a Honda.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-03-2018, 06:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
The BLOODY Paint in the auger intake is the first thing to go. you got a blender type action always going on in there and things are going to get very,very messy in those parts of the country. so you can forget aboot it staying showroom new there.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 22 Old 02-03-2018, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
928 ohxe here, same issue with the auger/impeller lever, i've double and triple checked every adjustment . works some times most of the time nope!
snow blowing out of the plastic upper housing is a simple fix. take it off. self sticking insulation tape all around it like they do in one spot. or lay a nice clean bead of ultra seal gasket maker on it all around, let it set up a day no more snow on the housing.

the skids. every machine you look at has metal skids since the days of long gone. cost is the reason, yet toro has optional skids available in cast iron # 38212 about 55 bucks and plastic 38211 - Non-Marking Skid Kit, for $54.98 right from toro on line for those who want something else.
most new machines issues are simple fixes,readjust this and that, most of the time a few times till what ever stretches or seats
my own issue with toro is the dealers . if they didn't sell they don't want to work on it,
post #9 of 22 Old 02-03-2018, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
928 ohxe here, same issue with the auger/impeller lever, i've double and triple checked every adjustment . works some times most of the time nope!
my own issue with toro is the dealers . if they didn't sell they don't want to work on it,
Not all the dealers my friend if you where close to my shop I would gladly take care of you. But I do understand your point some people - dealers should not sell what they don't know how to fix or setup and or like. I don't like husky snowblowers so I don't sell them they can stay with our other store. I do have to fix them tho so I make sure I know how they work.

On the lockout problem the only time I have seen problems are if they are frozen (rust or ice?) or something like the handle bars are not tight or cockeyed. Sometimes its as simple as loosening all the handle bolts 4 on the frame, 4 in the middle of the bars, also 4 under the dash then wiggly it a bit to line it all up snug the bolts a little at a time starting up top and working the way down.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosis38 View Post
Snowblower: Toro Snowblower Power Max HD 1028 OHXE, 302 cc engine
Model #: 38802

New unit but after 5 uses I'm having the following issues:

x Powder Coat within the housing appears to be failing ~ perhaps due to some rocks? but it doesnt appear so
x The auger impeller lever wont stay down when the traction lever is also pressed down ~ it tends to correct itself randomly though
x The chute deflector is not locking in place ~ while blowing the deflector always rotates to the the far right despite setting with the Quick Stick
x Not good with slushy-esque snow ~ it wont stall but it will dribble all the snow right over the housing;
x Muffle the noise on these engines -- too loud.
I just bought the same blower and I sell ariens to so I think once you get the problems straightened out you will be happy.
First problem any coating will fail with gravel. I have a gravel driveway and I have marks on mine and I only used it 30mins so far. I like fluid film in the off season. My old toro a 2005 has no paint left in the impeller housing its rusty but no rot.
Look at my post above for the lookout problem.
The quick stick needs adjustment or the cable is routed wrong if the chute spins. First check the cables to make sure they are not binding or caught on something also make sure the blue knob is free to move up and down. You can take the round cable/gear cover off its behind the chute at the end of the rod with one bolt holding it down. Lift the cover up and push to the back you will see a cable with a bolt holding it down loosen the bolt and adjust the cable in towards the gear a little at a time till the chute locks when your not on the blue knob ( don't over tighten the bolt).
The belt may be out of adjustment I have never had problems with throwing snow or slush. Unless the belt is out of adjustment or fried.
The motor on my new blower is 200 times quieter than the 10 horse flat head on my old one. Its hard to say whats loud to some may not be to others. Yours could have a loose/bad muffler but it to hard to say with out hearing it in person.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks crosis38 thanked for this post
Likes crosis38 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page