Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
The snow is melting and robins are flocking to the open parts of our fields. And, I have fixed the flaky interlock problem.
After I finished clearing my snow, I did find a helpful post from 351Beno;
On the lockout problem the only time I have seen problems are if they are frozen (rust or ice?) or something like the handle bars are not tight or cockeyed. Sometimes its as simple as loosening all the handle bolts 4 on the frame, 4 in the middle of the bars, also 4 under the dash then wiggly it a bit to line it all up snug the bolts a little at a time starting up top and working the way down.
I started trying the loosening and re-tightening of the handlebar hardware. That was not the problem although while jiggling things I could occasionally get the lockout to work.
I never did find anything that needed lubrication.
I did, however, figure out how the interlock works and what was wrong with mine.
The problem was that the spring that was supposed to engage the latch wasn't seated properly and the clip on the last wrap of the spring was latched incorrectly around the black plastic stop. As a result it was twisted enough that last turn of the spring was overlapping the previous turn and hence locking the spring from rotating. A quick re-seat of the spring end around the clip and the problem is solved.
The latch is visible from the top of the machine. For whatever reason, there is a nice little observation cut-out in the plastic cover by the traction lever. That is the latch that should be pulled down by a spring when both auger and traction levers are engaged.
It is easy to check if this is an issue. No need to have the snowblower running. First, clamp both levers down. It was difficult to get my finger into the slot, but a screwdriver worked well to gently lift up on the latch to see if the spring was working. It should spring sharply back down.
At first, when the interlock wasn't working, there was no evidence of any spring action whatsoever. I could push the latch down and the interlock would engage, but otherwise, the latch just sat there with nothing to pull it down.
I looked underneath the handle and saw the problem with the spring. After I adjusted the spring end clip to sit properly on the retaining stop, the spring had no overlapping wraps and the spring was tightly wound and now the interlock works every time like it should.
> Toro Power Max 1028 OHXE