LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 724 Snowblower: Reverse issues

Forward gears work fine but when in reverse it move really slow. Belts are fine. Thinking maybe the rubber drive disc could be the issue but has rubber left on it just point to it. Meaning it flatten out. Does anybody have a service and parts manual to this also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
There's a couple of different ways you can look up part numbers for Toro parts through Toro's web site. I like them because the information is right from the manufacturer. Partstree.com is usually pretty darn good too.

This one will lead you to a list showing the different serial number ranges for a particular model number, but you do have to have the specific model number first.
Find Genuine Toro Parts

This one allows you to search a little broader by using the 724 designation, then you look to find the type of equipment, model, and serial number range you need.
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/ind...oro&lang=us_en

I looked for 724 on that second one, and there's quite a few different models that carry the 724 name.

There may be a downloadable pdf version of an owner's manual available online through Toro. If not, they'll offer one for sale.

Better yet, maybe somebody here will have a pdf or copy to share. Hopefully you'll have the same luck with this one you did with your Snow Flite.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 580
he'll need the model number to look up parts on the toro site. when i look up stuff for my 826 i put the model number in, 38150 and that gets me to the page where you can break it down by serial number and year

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm wondering if the reverse issue is normal. Its that slow for safety reasons so someone doesnt run themselves over when in reverse.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
I'm wondering if the reverse issue is normal. Its that slow for safety reasons so someone doesnt run themselves over when in reverse.
one of the two stage guys should be able to answer this question as i haven't had the chance to use the 826 and the few times i have used the craftsman i never used reverse

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
All snowblowers have a slow reverse. It is possible though that the friction disc needs adjusted. If you put yours in neutral and try to go does it stay still or does it creep forward? If it creeps forward the adjustments are off and that is slowing your reverse down. If it creeps backwards then the adjustments are off, but in a good way and that is the best you are going to get. Of course, all this assumes yours has a friction disc and not a gear drive transmission.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
All snowblowers have a slow reverse. It is possible though that the friction disc needs adjusted. If you put yours in neutral and try to go does it stay still or does it creep forward? If it creeps forward the adjustments are off and that is slowing your reverse down. If it creeps backwards then the adjustments are off, but in a good way and that is the best you are going to get. Of course, all this assumes yours has a friction disc and not a gear drive transmission.
Its a friction disc. Its creeps in the direction of the last gear used. If a forward gear was used it creeps forward. If the reverse gear was the last used then creeps backwards. Thats what it goes when idling. It wont creep on cold start after been sitting. It only creeps when the gears are being used.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Anybody
post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Without actually looking at it, I'd have to guess that the mechanism that pulls the friction disc back away from the driven disc isn't adjusted properly, or there's a spring that's supposed to be pulling it away and it isn't strong enough to do it's job in pulling it back. Since it's creeping, there's still contact between the two surfaces when there shouldn't be.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
check all the bushings the friction disc carrier rides on. You may have to "unload" (get the tension off) it to get a good feel if there is any play. the bushing on the carrier on the side the wheel is on while going forward maybe be ok but when its on the other side for reverse there maybe play in that bushing so its not getting full pressure against the disc.

I believe you can adjust the friction wheel to go faster in reverse if everything is ok but it would technically be out of adjustment and you would lose reverse and possibly first gear. but 2nd gear would act like your old first gear. hope that came across the way I meant it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in