Snowblower Forum banner

524 upgrade to 826

8K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  creeve4 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1974 524 that was re-powered with a B&S engine by the previous owner. I am looking to upgrade to a more power model that can throw heavy, 10+" deep snow across a double-wide driveway. I found a similarly old 826 with the original tecumseh engine.

Do you think this 826 is enough of an upgrade? Will it throw heavy, 10+" deep snow across a double-wide driveway?

#2 ·
I spent some time working on a machine similar to the one you linked to on KSL. It had an updraft carburetor and was a bit finicky. I also had some significant time invested in the ignition interlock, especially with the switches in the handle bar levers. When it did run well it did move some serious snow. I have an older 724 that now has a Predator engine. It will throw the snow the distance you are looking for. Consider putting one of those on your current 524. Modern OHV Honda clone for the win.

#4 ·
My 524 was not well cared for by the previous owner(s). I have done what I can to repair it without putting in too much $, but the final straw is the worn auger worm gear that to longer turns the augers. It's not worth it to replace the gear with all of the other issues the machine has.

In what way is the carburetor finicky? Anything particular I should check on the 826?

#6 ·
If that was repowered with a BRIGGS Motor than it would either be a 7HP OR 8HP Engine. The 5-24's came stock from the little TORO Factory with those Gutless wonders of an engine only. and youse all know what I am referring to in that Dept. :icon_whistling::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

#12 ·
I would want at least an 8 hp Tec....or Briggs....or 6.5 Honda or clone... to do the job of clearing snow...Briggs have more OOOMPH then Tecs....and sorry Todd...Honda clones kick ass in the torque and RPM war for really getting the job done. That said..in NE.. I haven't found any blower that wouldn't dig me out with a 8 hp Tec....a 7 hp Briggs or a 6.5 hp Clone....and even the 5 to 7 hp Tec's will do a lot of work. I'm a fan of breakerless ignition, so I shitcan all Tec's with points, convert my Briggs to breakerless, and repower all others with Predators.

#14 ·
One thing that would def get you a longer range of throwing is a taller chute, On the Craftsman blowers they have a smaller model with a steel chute and many others with a shorter plastic chute and I just put the metal taller one on and they throw so much better. Hopefully someone who has modded a toro with a taller chute will chime in.

#25 ·
First and easiest is to make sure that your wall outlet works, then the extension cord to the starter, then the push-button/relay *the rectangular box, and finally you will have to open up the starter to look for a defect inside - I believe it has carbon-brushes that could be worn, or the copper contacts on the armature might just need to be cleaned.

#26 · (Edited)
I noticed this label on the top of the engine, which refers to an "air cleaner". I'm assuming that this is just a generic label, but want to confirm that there is not an air cleaner on these snowblower engines and mine is missing. I'm not seeing anything in the engine parts diagrams.

Attachments

#27 ·
No,there is no air cleaner used on that engine.The vertical,square tube is all that is needed on the end of the carb and of course,the big shroud covers the whole area thus making a pre-heater for the carb air.

Those old Briggs blower engines were great.Had a 1970's Snapper with an 8 horse on it,best snowblower I ever used,hands down.Extremely rare units in my neck of the woods or I'd have another one.

#30 ·
Thanks for information guys!

The auger gearbox is mostly full (it is a little below the plug) of thick gray grease, is there any reason to clean it out and change the grease or to add more?

Does anyone know of a good source for replacement tires, I have one that has a slow leak.

#33 · (Edited)
The B&S Manual for my engine (19402-0989) specifies a standard (B&S P/N 492167) or resistor (B&S P/N 802952) spark plug. The Toro website says P/N 293918. the 38150 Toro manual says Champion RCJ8 or Autolite AR7N. Each of the sources differ... which do I chose?

Edit: looks like all but the resistor style are equivalent. Man, spark plug numbering is a huge mess!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.